Comm. Gordon's Office - How High Up?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Comm. Gordon's Office - How High Up?

Post by Yellow Oval »

Riddle me this, fellow board members... How high up do you think Gordon's office was judging by the sweeping panoramic city view with skyscrapers seeming to be somewhat lower? It looks like he occupies somewhere around the 40th or 50th floor. And yet he was only 3 floors up when Blaze somersaulted out the window in the Two-Face episode in Season 1, about 2 floors up looking down at the statue of Justice in the Joker's Zodiac Crimes in Season 2, and in the 3rd Season's The Funny Feline Felonies - when Batman batcreeps to the window where the anonymous shot came from - we see they are again quite high up - 30 to 40 floors. Shortly afterward he points slightly upward to a window in a hotel across the street indicating the suspect room is on a higher floor. Yet, when the Dynamic Duo entered the hotel room the hotel sign is hanging directly outside in the window to tell us they are not far off street level. I claim Bat-Shenanigans! :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
clavierankh

Re: Comm. Gordon's Office - How High Up?

Post by clavierankh »

If I remember in Hizzoner The Penguin it is established as being on the 13th floor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

When O'Hara is under the influence of Abu-Rabu-Simbu-Tu, he appears to be on the seventh (and highest) floor:
Attachments
Tut.jpg
logar2

Post by logar2 »

And yet, when Blaze jumps out of the window in Gordon's office it appears that he is only on the second floor.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

In looking at the photo above, there doesn't appear to be a flagpole anywhere around--yet O'Hara is later seen doing gymnastics on it. :D
greenhornet66

Post by greenhornet66 »

Everything you mentioned all add up with common sense, but when this show was on in the 60's, the average 5-10 yr old boy dont put much thought about what the skyline of gotham is in connection to other episodes. Don't know how old your are right now, but this show was not made for grown adults to disect the set decor.
This statement is coming from a Green Hornet fan. My crimefighter had a more story line without any clowns, penguins, cowboys, icemen, etc. My Green Hornet show had it's own noticible quirks, but then again, remember, these shows were made to entertain young boys, not grown ups.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

And as the little boy said, " I found a Mask, Whip, and Hand Cuffs in my Moms room,
Who'd have thought she was a Superhero!"
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
dell

Post by dell »

greenhornet66 wrote:Everything you mentioned all add up with common sense, but when this show was on in the 60's, the average 5-10 yr old boy dont put much thought about what the skyline of gotham is in connection to other episodes. Don't know how old your are right now, but this show was not made for grown adults to disect the set decor.
This statement is coming from a Green Hornet fan. My crimefighter had a more story line without any clowns, penguins, cowboys, icemen, etc. My Green Hornet show had it's own noticible quirks, but then again, remember, these shows were made to entertain young boys, not grown ups.
I gently disagree. If you listen and watch carefully you will notice humor that only adults would appreciate on shows like Batman. Sure, the costumes and pacing attract children, but there is more to this show than meets the eye. Some of what is presented is very clever; far too clever for young kids to appreciate.

Another example of a "kid's show" that is also for adults too is Rocky and Bullwinkle. Obviously a cartoon, but it is filled with sly and clever humor that is far beyond most children.

The fact that Batman has a devoted following on a website nearly 50 years after it aired says something about the enduring nature of what was made back in the late 60's.
dell
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

logar2 wrote:And yet, when Blaze jumps out of the window in Gordon's office it appears that he is only on the second floor.
After that episode, they moved the Commissioner's office to a higher floor to prevent people from jumping out and escaping! ;)
dell

Post by dell »

Gernot wrote:
logar2 wrote:And yet, when Blaze jumps out of the window in Gordon's office it appears that he is only on the second floor.
After that episode, they moved the Commissioner's office to a higher floor to prevent people from jumping out and escaping! ;)
That's the best answer I've heard all day!
dell
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

clavierankh wrote:If I remember in Hizzoner The Penguin it is established as being on the 13th floor
13th floor.
When we look at the Utility Belt all we see is painted wood ( sometimes sponges) but it is established that he at least has a Batarang in there somewhere.
Also, how long must it take to get up there?
13 floors is a long way up.
they rush out of the Batmobile, run up the stairs to enter building and the wait for an elevator. ? Is there any small talk in the elevator- " Nice weather Citizen. " or "was that you? "
Does Gordon and O'hare see them pull up, and say " Ok. You stand there, and Ill sit here and wring my hands until they get here."
Good point about the flagpole though.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

dell wrote:
greenhornet66 wrote:Everything you mentioned all add up with common sense, but when this show was on in the 60's, the average 5-10 yr old boy dont put much thought about what the skyline of gotham is in connection to other episodes. Don't know how old your are right now, but this show was not made for grown adults to disect the set decor.
I gently disagree. If you listen and watch carefully you will notice humor that only adults would appreciate on shows like Batman. Sure, the costumes and pacing attract children, but there is more to this show than meets the eye. Some of what is presented is very clever; far too clever for young kids to appreciate.

Another example of a "kid's show" that is also for adults too is Rocky and Bullwinkle. Obviously a cartoon, but it is filled with sly and clever humor that is far beyond most children.

The fact that Batman has a devoted following on a website nearly 50 years after it aired says something about the enduring nature of what was made back in the late 60's.

I agree with you, Dell. There were so many jokes that I didn't catch until I was older; like everyone else, eventually grasped the fact that "Batman" as well as "Rocky & Bullwinkle" were adult satires. I'll toss in another one. Years ago I was watching "Underdog" reruns and I happened to catch the politically incorrect cartoon "Go Go Gophers" with Ruffle Feather and Running Board causing Colonel Kit Coyote and the Sergeant numerous problems. At one point Col. Coyote drafts the Gopher Indians into the cavalry, and gives them both a ridiculous order.

Ruffle Feather: (unintelligible gobbledygook)

Col. Coyote: What him say?

Running Board: Him say you full of prunes!

I never would have caught that joke as a boy. Same goes for all the jokes in Fractured Fairy Tales and Peabody's Improbable History.

It's great to be an adult!
lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 »

but this show was not made for grown adults to disect the set decor.
royal gclub
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Gernot wrote:
In the Hizzoner The Penguin episode, Batman and Robin are in the elevator and they say to one of the cronies in the car"13th floor please"
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

In 1966 most viewers would generally have watching on smaller, black & white screens than we are gifted with now and weren't able to replay scenes to study them for continuity errors the way we can now. One of my favourite bits of satire obviously aimed at grown-ups is when Penguin runs for Mayor and at one point co-opts Barry Goldwater's notorious "Moderation in the protection of liberty is no virtue; extremism in the defense of freedom is no vice" for his own campaign.