Question about the Entrancing Dr. Cassandra

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Killer Moth

Question about the Entrancing Dr. Cassandra

Post by Killer Moth »

Hi - I'm Killer Moth, and I'm new here so hopefully I'm posting this right. My question is about the oddest thing at the end of the Dr. Cassandra episode... it's literally "The End" applied as a visual at the end of the episode as Minerva is on the screen. Was this signaling the fact that Dr. Cassandra was originally the final show of the season, and that the Minerva episode would have been the first episode of season 4? In any case, I can't think of any normal reason for it to be on the episode... any thoughts about it welcome! :)
Dr. Shimel

Re: Question about the Entrancing Dr. Cassandra

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Not sure why that was included, especially since they went on to film the Shame two-parter, followed by the final King Tut and the Minerva episodes, respectively. It's been pointed out before that the cast and crew knew the Minerva episode would be the last one because both Willam Dozier and Howie Horwitz made cameo appearances in it.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Thanks - very interesting! I wasn't aware it was filmed so early either, and episodes filmed after it showed up before it in the production schedule.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It was presumably set up to fit the schedule of Howard Duff, who was in the second season as the star of another ABC program, "Felony Squad."
High C

Post by High C »

What I never understood about this ep was the title. What was so 'entrancing' about her? She doesn't hypnotize anyone, she just makes people invisible or one-dimensional. Nothing entrancing about any of that. Just saying, because it's always bugged me.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Maybe she is supposed to be "fascinating" due to her groovy employment of astrology, alchemy and magic?
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Perhaps it pertained to the amazement of being able to become invisible.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote:What I never understood about this ep was the title. What was so 'entrancing' about her? She doesn't hypnotize anyone, she just makes people invisible or one-dimensional. Nothing entrancing about any of that. Just saying, because it's always bugged me.
I think it was just to make the character seem "magical," although alchemy never produced invisibility pills or her crazy standee-creating gun.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

I also wonder: was the final battle always going to be a fight in darkness because they planned to save money, or was a real visual fight conceived but it was scrapped for the cheaper "fight in darkness" battle?

In any case, I liked it... it's far from the worst episode... and the worst episode of Batman is better than most typical TV!
High C

Post by High C »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
High C wrote:What I never understood about this ep was the title. What was so 'entrancing' about her? She doesn't hypnotize anyone, she just makes people invisible or one-dimensional. Nothing entrancing about any of that. Just saying, because it's always bugged me.
I think it was just to make the character seem "magical," although alchemy never produced invisibility pills or her crazy standee-creating gun.
I think you're right. I posted this on the old board about alchemy:

But if they had researched alchemy a little further [and again, thank you, wikipedia, which Ross and Hoffman, of course, didn’t have] they would have discovered two main goals of alchemists were to find the elixir of youth and to turn regular metals into gold and silver.

Either of those quests would have made for a much more interesting plotline. And yes, the elixir of youth plot sounds a bit ageist and sexist, but Lupino did appear in a famous Twilight Zone episode in which she played an aging actress longing to recapture her youth, so maybe she wouldn’t have minded.

Or perhaps, flip it around, and the not-so-good Dr. uses the elixir of youth to turn our heroes into little kids, so they won’t be able to apprehend her.

Really, they simply should have said she was a mad scientist and left it at that.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
exm

Post by exm »

What you cats fail to grok is that "EnTRANCing" rhymes with "CaSSandra" if you like snap your fingers while you say it. Can you dig it?
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

As to Killer Moth's original question, note the placement of the words "The End" in the frame and you'll see that it was meant as a joke.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

LittleLouisGroovy wrote:As to Killer Moth's original question, note the placement of the words "The End" in the frame and you'll see that it was meant as a joke.
If that is the case, it seems a little crass to me in a show that was normally very tasteful, thought not out of bounds for alot of 60's era humor... you could be right though!
'
gothos

Post by gothos »

I theorize that if the Minerva episode was the last one actually shot, they probably shot all Zsa Zsa's scenes together, including her promo for the last episode. Perhaps the "butt shot" was actually the last one they did, and at the last minute they threw in a "The End" in case the show wasn't renewed-- but one that didn't call attention to itself, since it wasn't actually in the last episode.

Quien sabe?