Did anyone else hear about this? The #1 Batmobile is FINALLY getting RESTORED!!!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

To The Batpoles!

Did anyone else hear about this? The #1 Batmobile is FINALLY getting RESTORED!!!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

Just read about this today! I am sooooo happy to hear this!

http://1966batmobile.com/1-batmobile-update/

The old girl has needed this for YEARS!!! Can't wait to see pictures of her in her full 1966 glory!!!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
Batfanman

Re: Did anyone else hear about this? The #1 Batmobile is FINALLY getting RESTORED!!!

Post by Batfanman »

I'm amazed Mr. Barris hadn't done that before he sold it.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
To The Batpoles!

Re: Did anyone else hear about this? The #1 Batmobile is FINALLY getting RESTORED!!!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

With all due respect to Mr. Barris, a "Barris" restoration is NOT what the #1 needed!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

To The Batpoles! wrote:With all due respect to Mr. Barris, a "Barris" restoration is NOT what the #1 needed!

=Frank=
Completely agree. I love George Barris & think he did a phenomenal job with the Batmobile for the show, but after the show he made so many terrible unneeded changes to the Batmobile that made it look tacky. It needs someone who will go to extreme detail to restore it's season 1 glory!
dell

Post by dell »

If only we knew someone that knows a thing or two about building Batmobiles... ;)
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Calling Mark. Oh Mark, where art thou? But then I just realized Mark is working on the #4 dragster Batmobile. Holy Fiberglass Freaks, he's a busy guy!
Music. BAT! Music.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This great news and long overdue. Looking forward to seeing this car as near its former glory as is achievable.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

dell wrote:If only we knew someone that knows a thing or two about building Batmobiles... ;)
I was thinking the same thing :)

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Great to hear. I always used to wonder when Barris still owned it why sometimes there were no red bat decals on the door or, if there were, they were really small or the wrong shape? I had the impression he didn't care too much about all the details right down to the little ones.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I had heard it was up for sale again, and it looks like there is a new owner as of August 2016 with a commitment to restore the car. I wonder if it a frame off rotisserie restoration, or just replacement of parts worn or series original. Eric says new old stock, but how far. There's a good deal of rust underneath if you watch Eric's DVD shot with Mark. Good news any way, that's likely a 2 year or more restoration. I would also take it back to season 1 with the rear canopy. Wonder what they'll do about the antlers and beacon... That beacon seems to be a holy grail.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The new owner is committed to restoring the car to its 1966-1968 look, so all of the additional exterior labels, lawn sprinkers, and cell phone antennae have been removed. I'm thrilled that the car is finally receiving some much-needed attention. Here is a photo of the non-screen accurate junk removed from the car so far, courtesy of 1966batmobile.com
Attachments
Old Number One Batjunk Removed.png
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

I am so happy all of this junk has been removed from the car they really over did the signage!

Charles
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

So glad that stuff is gone. I was embarrassed everytime I took someone to see the car. The "Batgas" stickers on the grille used to really upset me the most as it was on the outside of the car, ruining that spectacular honeycomb grille design.
Music. BAT! Music.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Interesting to hear it was sold quietly, rather through an auction - wonder why he sold it. Did he get tired of his $4.2 million toy already? And did he make or lose money on the deal?
Would be nice if the restorer had the wherewithal to re-create that beautiful steering wheel with the center-mounted speedometer.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The rumors (some second hand, some third hand) include that the previous owner bought the car on a lark, trying to impress the blonde bombshell sitting on his lap during the auction. He had no idea the car was in such bad shape (he tried to start it three times to drive it around and back into the building and couldn't keep it running). When he joked about cutting a hole in his wall and putting the car in his living room, he received hate mail, and even death threats. His shipping business suffered losses, too, and he blamed the car. He used the car for a handful of charity events in Phoenix and in Boston, but really didn't know what to do with it. He didn't want to restore it--he just wanted out from under it. I'm not going to discuss the price--please do not ask.

The new chapter in the life of the #1 car looks to be an exciting one. I can't wait to see the car back to its former glory. :)