TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- A contrary view of "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- A contrary view of "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds"

Post by bat-rss »

Given that the song peaked at #16 two months after Batman, that's not terribly surprising! Thanks.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:54 am
By now you know that TO THE BATPOLES tends to take views on some Batman '66 arcs that differ from those of most other commentators. The conventional wisdom is that the Marsha two-parter has a number of filler scenes that serve no purpose. In this episode, Paul schools Tim and all of us as to why those scenes are totally necessary!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/042-mar ... ot-so-fast
Another thing I like about this one is the break from the formula, O'Hara with Marsha right at the beginning, Gordon soon after, Batman and Robin in the office without them; in a way it shares some similarities with the Siren episode.

Scheme is the only episode where Batman and Robin lose the final fight scene in the concluding part of a story.
High C

Post by High C »

Bumping this up from the archives for two reasons: 1--I wasn't yet listening to the show at the time (Holy Dereliction of Bat-Duties) and 2--I now know the reason for the four 'suitors' in giant birdcages. Zsa Zsa
Gabor was on her fifth husband at that point, and the character originally had been written for her. I suspect that's the Stanley Ralph Ross-esque in-joke writer Stanford Sherman was going for.

Also, I should point out the opening teaser sequence might be the stupidest one in the show's checkered history. Chief O'Hara clearly is not in possession of his mental faculties and clearly is in the clutches of a known criminal who has no weapon and no 'muscle' with which to threaten the beat cops. But instead of subduing and rescuing him for his own safety, they leave him in harm's way AND help him rob an innocent businessman. That's not suspension of disbelief. It's throwing all manner of logic out the window, even in a fantasy show. This to me was a jump the shark episode and one of the few on which I vehemently disagree with the esteemed podcasters.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17