TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- A contrary view of "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- A contrary view of "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds"

Post by bat-rss »

By now you know that TO THE BATPOLES tends to take views on some Batman '66 arcs that differ from those of most other commentators. The conventional wisdom is that the Marsha two-parter has a number of filler scenes that serve no purpose. In this episode, Paul schools Tim and all of us as to why those scenes are totally necessary!

Also, Tim has watched Adam West's spaghetti western "The Relentless Four" to verify Adam's story in "Back to the Batcave" about a cave full of bats. In this episode, he presents his findings on this, as well as the ongoing search for Jay Thompson's Joker script "Hickery Dickery Doc"!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/042-mar ... ot-so-fast
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Progress Pigment

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- A contrary view of "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds"

Post by Progress Pigment »

By second season standards, it was a good episode! The last decent episode until 'The Sandman Cometh'. The writing staff had not fulfilled their goal of turning Batman into a complete idiot yet. But with nothing stopping them they would certainly get there in time.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Progress Pigment wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:41 am By second season standards, it was a good episode! The last decent episode until 'The Sandman Cometh'. The writing staff had not fulfilled their goal of turning Batman into a complete idiot yet. But with nothing stopping them they would certainly get there in time.
I like this one too, though it does seem to drag a bit during the 2nd part. Alfred's rescue is inspired, the acting between Alan Napier and Adam West is fun to watch, excellent timing; the way Batman appears to be flummoxed over the bigamy. It's just such a fun scene, and a good one for Aunt Harriet too. It definitely gave a feeling of community to the show as well, something lacking in the 3rd season.

Robin in a birdcage is so obvious I'm surprised it wasn't done earlier or later in the series, not till Catwoman in the reunion cartoon will this be used again.

As for Batman becoming an idiot, yeah, it's a big problem with the show as it continued; here there's a good scene of Batman resisting the drug.

The toads are certainly strange, definitely hitting a new level of absurd with the little costumes, sometimes I'm all right with this and other times I think it was a bit too silly.

I wish Aunt Hildy hadn't returned later on, I like that she was rehabilitated and was using her abilities to teach a younger generation something worthwhile instead of the evil spells she presumably taught Marsah, a good effort at rehabilitation.

I suppose the worst thing was that long black gown Marsha was in, just made her look shapeless and older than she was.

cheers
joebear

Post by joebear »

As a hetero viewer b. 1960, 5 when it arrived like the easter eggs, camp is still a mystery, I've read the scholactic interpretations, but it all seems like gay stuff when seen on the screen. ***Admin Edit: We do not cast aspersions about sexuality that could be interpreted as a personal attack. BB ***
joebear

Post by joebear »

I think Tim and Paul backpedal a lot, some stuff in Batman is gay, The book in the library when Joker rips up Keys to the Kingdom; watch it in slo mo and you'll see a book on the wall "GAY" something, and Gayfellows Cleaners at the golf course. This must have been when the word gay was used, chosen for homosexual identidy in public discourse. I have a cuz named Lisa Gay, and my aunt in Berkeley CA misses using the word in regular speech, it's impossible to dissect the series and know what is or isn't intentional, and "Holy Senate Committee" everyone from Watergate is dead too...
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

Something just crossed my mind regarding the original DVD/Bluray release: without the missing scene, Bruce and Dick aren't in the episode period!! That's gotta be a record!! If I get a chance, I try to watch the episode referenced in these threads/episodes to catch everything.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

cammy85 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm Something just crossed my mind regarding the original DVD/Bluray release: without the missing scene, Bruce and Dick aren't in the episode period!! That's gotta be a record!! If I get a chance, I try to watch the episode referenced in these threads/episodes to catch everything.
Yes, we noticed that too. We're about to record our review of "That Darn Catwoman/Scat! Darn Catwoman" which is totally Bruce-and-Dick-less, even with all the scenes intact! I don't think that had happened in any other episodes up to this point. Can anyone think of any story arcs later in the series without the millionaire and his youthful ward?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

By golly, you're right!!! I had forgotten that one. Makes sense too.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

This one is a complete miss for me-- I never liked the character of Marsha -- I thought Jones was a terrible choice, I think you needed an Ann Margaret type for Marsha and then the character works. But the plot here is just way too ridiculous. Seeing it as a 7 year old in the 70s I thought the frog scene was dumb.
Progress Pigment

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm
As for Batman becoming an idiot, yeah, it's a big problem with the show as it continued; here there's a good scene of Batman resisting the drug.
Marsha: You mean you're not in love with me?

Batman: I'm not even mildly interested.

That's great stuff! Humor-wise, More of that -- less of everything else.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:55 am This one is a complete miss for me-- I never liked the character of Marsha -- I thought Jones was a terrible choice, I think you needed an Ann Margaret type for Marsha and then the character works. But the plot here is just way too ridiculous. Seeing it as a 7 year old in the 70s I thought the frog scene was dumb.
For what it's worth Andy, I agree with you. But the dialogue about Batman "not being mildly interested," is a great line.

---jthree
joebear

Post by joebear »

Some of my early posts were reactionary beer posts, it's difficult to view this stuff after seeing the SNL Ambiguously Gay cartoons without milk coming out my nose cuz I'm laughing.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Progress Pigment wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 pm
robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm
Marsha: You mean you're not in love with me?

Batman: I'm not even mildly interested.

That's great stuff! Humor-wise, More of that -- less of everything else.
I agree, perfect delivery!

Some elements of that version of Batman remained but the longer the show went on, the more idiotic the character became. Ahh, same old grousing.

cheers
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 am
cammy85 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm Something just crossed my mind regarding the original DVD/Bluray release: without the missing scene, Bruce and Dick aren't in the episode period!! That's gotta be a record!! If I get a chance, I try to watch the episode referenced in these threads/episodes to catch everything.
Yes, we noticed that too. We're about to record our review of "That Darn Catwoman/Scat! Darn Catwoman"

Saw this in a 1/18/67 notes article in the Boston Traveler:

"Mercury Records" is rushing Lesley Gore's "California Nights" to hit the stands tomorrow when the first segment of her Batman two-parter airs."
Progress Pigment