***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bat Username

Re: ***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

Post by Bat Username »

Thanks for taking time to post these screenshots, A. Pennyworth! (And a special thanks for including that wonderfully-deadpanned "diplomacy" line!)

The comic book covers also illustrate a fundamental truth: Everything Batman is just better when filtered through the Dutch-angled lens of Batman 66.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Question? During the credits, with all that Bat Dancing, did any of you recognize the "moves" Batman and Catwoman? Did they come from a particular episode?

-JThree
G.O.O.N.

Post by G.O.O.N. »

Did anyone notice the giant dinosaur in the batcave?
Other than that, it was a great movie!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I liked it-- truthfully I kept falling asleep watching it (to be fair I started it pretty late each night) but I finally got through it. If I was nine I would have loved it. Wally was fantastic, Jeff doing the Joker was solid but I wish they'd included his moustache and accent.

It was at times goofy, but nowhere near as much as I feared, so it was a solid time. Compare it to Batman V Superman and it's Academy Award level compare it to the show and it's a solid Season Two long episode or a sequel to the feature.

No matter it's shortcomings, I can see the love of not only the 60s Batman but Batman in general in this. It was definitely made by people who are fans of the Caped Crusader.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Sorry if this was touched upon earlier, but did they use any of the original music from the series besides the theme? I know someone said they couldn't get the rights to Miranda, but did they use the villain's cues, the Batusi music, or anything else from the series? Thanks guys. Very interesting. ..
Music. BAT! Music.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

Seen it now. Like just about everybody else, really enjoyed it from start to finish. The opening was fantastic and never let up from there.
I found it amazing that 50 years on we have such a superb quality new production to enjoy - and more on the way.
Thumbs aloft wa-hey from me.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

A. Pennyworth wrote:Fitzsimmons (for Charles?)
Adam pronounced it "FitzSimons," so I'm pretty sure it was intended as a salute to Charlie, and that extra "m" snuck in by mistake along the way. I didn't spot a Horwitz shout-out, but I won't be watching it a second time until my Blu-Ray gets here in a couple of weeks. Did I miss it?

Cheers,

QQ
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

That was quite enjoyable! It's obvious what a labor of love this film is and it's so funny. The duplicate Batman wearing a beret and playing drums cracks me up; same with the punch through the flowers he gives Louie.

All things considered, this could've been a great last adventure.

I'm glad Robin had such a substantial role in this, him and Catwoman were some of my favorite parts. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised she never put him in a birdcage on the show...!

I find it funny and fast moving, they managed to work in a lot of different scenes, deathtraps, surprising moments and comedy.

cheers
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

One thing I noticed today and forgive me if someone has mentioned this already, but when the Batmobile is leaving the Batcave through the tunnnel, the various doors remind me of the corridor Max walks down in Get Smart
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Loved it! Hats off to the folks around here directly involved. Really well done. Too many nods and winks to us original fans to mention. Probably several I haven't even caught yet. I knew we were in for a treat when I spotted the Sprang onomatopoeia. At first I thought it was my imagination.

Really neat that we have a new version of our childhood heroes being voiced by, and directly referencing, the actors and show that got most of us here. A lifelong passion and touchstone that is still relevant and still being created - with our original actors. That's pretty special.

I'll be watching it again about five minutes after I log off here.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

John-- no to the music. That was one of my peeves about it-- the show used such specific musical cues they are as important as the visual sound effects. There were times where the music really felt canned-- the scene at the beginning with Alfred talking to Bruce -- the background music was bland.

My biggest complaint (and I have very few) no narration? No replacement for Desmond Doomsday?? The opening screams for it.

DC/Warner has been really missing the mark on narration-- Dark Knight Returns and Year One both feature first person narration in the graphic novels and there are none in the films, while Killing Joke has no narration in the comic but the movie does-- what the??
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I've heard that William Shatner is going to voice Two-Face for the sequel. Could this be an animated version of Harlan Ellison's script that never got produced, like the comic book adaptation that came out a couple of years ago? Does anyone know about that?
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Unfortunately the details of the sequal are going to be kept under raps for awhile yet so all we can do is speculate. While adapting that script seems like an obvious choice they may prefer to go in a different direction entirely. As long as it continues to remain true to the TV series I would be satisfied with either one.
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

I thought it was great!, especially the crosswalk part! LMAO!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I've watched it three times this week. Still digging it. Still noticing nuances I hadn't caught before.

Anyone who has read any of my off-topic posts or discussions knows I am (for the most part) an all-types Batman fan. I read Bronze Age and Modern Age comics almost daily, love the Beware The Batman cartoon, and I like the first Keaton film. However, my go-to is by far the 1966 series and film. Adam West is, and always will be, my Batman.

The 1960s Batman morphs perfectly into my collection of Bronze Age comic books. I've become a huge fan of Modern Age though and purchase them regularly, depending on story and artist e. g., Hush, Earth One, and even Zero Year- Secret City (gorgeous use of color and composition). I also like other animations of Batman, including Beware The Batman, which is nothing like anything that came before.

All that said, It's really nice to have a cartoon targeted squarely at us older fans. I've enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. There are in-jokes for us, but not at the expense of newer fans.

My point? Here's something I didn't expect when I was watching it each time; It really puts the desire in me to watch the 1966 film. I've watched the new cartoon three times this week and twice have followed it up with the 66 film.

I don't have an explanation other than maybe just hearing Adam & Burt reminds me of my true Batman and I find myself needing a fix. In fact, I'm listening to my full-film audio rip as I'm typing this.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”