***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Re: ***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

Post by bat-rss »

batfatty wrote:I loved:
That one of the Onomatopoeias (had to look up the spelling) in the early fights was "SPRANG!".
Undoubtedly a reference to comics artist Dick Sprang, who redesigned the Batmobile in 1950 and did the first design of the Riddler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Sprang
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

TO THE BATPOLES podcast (my brother and me) weigh in on ROTCC...

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/046-ret ... -crusaders
joker67

Post by joker67 »

Hi. First post. Question: Any info on a soundtrack release for ROTCC? Love the movie and thought the music was great. Really like the music at the beginning when Bruce and Dick first slide down to the Batcave and then they do a 360 around the Batmobile. IMDB says La La Land Records will release the soundtrack in October 16, however there is no mention on the LLL Records' website. Thanks! Fan of Batman 66 since I first saw it in the 70s and now my kids are loving it thanks to the blu ray.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Watching ROTCC yet again (gets better every time). Since no one else has done this here is a complete list of fight sound effect words (NOTE: all words were superimposed over the action save for those of the fourth fight which were full screen):
(first fight)
BASH!
WHOMP!
SMOK!!
KRAMM!
KER-PLOW!
KRAK!
OOOMPH!
PUNT!
OOOF!
ZAP!
SPORK!
SPRANG!
Z@T!
BOFF!

(second fight)
WHOMP! (2)
BOFF! (2)
OOOMPH! (2)
Z@T! (2)
SMOK!! (2)
PUNT (2)
SLAM!

(third fight)
SWOOSH!
SPLOOOP!
FUMPH!
PAT!
WHISH!
RIP!
TORN!
GORE!
FRACTURE!
BLUDGEON!
PULVERIZE!

(fourth fight)
UMPH!
THWONG!
SPLOP!
POX!
FWOK!
PLONK!
BASH! (2)
KLANG!
KWAP!
WHAM!
KER-WANG!
KAY-OW!
KRAK! (2)

(fifth fight)
SHWAM!
THRASH!
KA-RANK!
PLOW!
BLANG!
KLOMP!
KER-PLOW! (2)
ZOP!
KRAMM! (2)
SPLAT!
TRAMPLE!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

No POW! or ZOWIE! ?? I can see no Zowie, but no POW!?? That's just un-66. :ugeek:
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

After more than a half a dozen viewings I noticed a couple more things that I hadn't before. First of all was the underwater scene. Like his space helmet Batman's deep sea diving suit also had bat ears.

I also finally figured out what it was about the Penguin that rubbed me the wrong way. He wasn't smoking. The all important cigarette holder was nonexistent. They should have kept it in.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Jumping ahead just slightly, I just watched the first part of the Puzzler Arc (The Puzzles are Coming) Starring Maurice Evans as the Puzzler. the funny thing I noted was that during the episode the chiming music used for the Bookworm was carried over for the Puzzler. An interesting link between the two men who would both take part in Planet of the Apes a year or so later. I'm sure it wasn't intentional (who could have known?) but it is a nice line of connection.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Interesting connection. Actually, as Chris Gould (Batman At 45) has noted, they used that theme for all the "vaguely British" villains -- Bookworm, Puzzler, Black Widow, and Lord Ffogg.
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

Some of the fight words were ridiculous e.g PAT, ZOT, POX, SMOK. Just a word salad.

Bring back Zowie, Sock and Pow!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

riddler123 wrote:Some of the fight words we're
e ridiculous e.g PAT, ZOT, POX, SMOK. Just a word salad.
Probably inside references much like "SPRANG!" (referring to Dick Sprang). "PAT!" is likely someone's name. "POX!" might have been a tribute to someone's child who was suffering from Chicken Pox at the time. Perhaps one or more is an acronym; "SMOK!" could mean "Superman is Okay".

These are just guesses of course but, seeing as how it was pretty clear that, that's exactly what they were doing with, "SPRANG!" I wouldn't put it past them.
Bring back Zowie, Sock and Pow!
I agree. But I'm still open to some new ones such as "OWWIE-YOW-WOW!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

The disappearance of Penguin's cigarette holder is probably due to the age of the audience. A good thing IMO. You'll also notice James Bond hasn't smoked cigarettes in years.
Music. BAT! Music.
dell

Post by dell »

John Mack wrote:The disappearance of Penguin's cigarette holder is probably due to the age of the audience. A good thing IMO. You'll also notice James Bond hasn't smoked cigarettes in years.
My wife and I are shocked at the amount of smoking and drinking in older movies. Movies like Casablanca or ones starring Cary Grant are good examples. Its amazing anyone live past 40 from that era.
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Watch the TV show, Mad Men on Netflix now, and it will give you an example of when I grew up
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

John Mack wrote:The disappearance of Penguin's cigarette holder is probably due to the age of the audience. A good thing IMO. You'll also notice James Bond hasn't smoked cigarettes in years.
True but, multiple people have played Bond over the years. This was supposed to be a throwback to the 60s TV series and a recreation of the characters as made famous by the original actors. Therefore IMO they should have kept the cigarette holder as it was an important part of his character.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Thanks for posting the list of fight sound f/x.

In my opinion, things like the cigarette holder are a matter of perspective. Instead of a reunion cartoon movie made with obvious affection for the series, people could still be deriding the show, with only poor quality bootleg versions of the series available while the companies squabbled over money and people dreamed of the show'd proper release.

There was no way this movie would meet everyone's expectations or be "perfect", there's not even a consensus on the original series! One man's Catwoman is another man's Lola Lasagne. The point is, probably best to enjoy it for what it is, a fun reunion movie outside of the trappings of time, save for Adam and Julie's voices, which one usually adapts to quite quickly.

cheers