***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

Post by The Boss »

AWESOME!!!! Absolutely awesome! This was exactly what I wanted it to be and more. I liked how it wasn't just another episode of the TV series. It was another episode with originality. The story was fantastic. It went in several directions which kept you thinking throughout the entire movie and at the same time kept you focused on the picture so that you could find the answers to those questions.

In addition there was so much Nostalgia put in there I doubt that I have even seen it all with just one viewing. One of my favorites is when The Penguin hit Batman over the head with his umbrella. Batman - who was talking to Catwoman at the time - suddenly saw three Catwoman... Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt. lol

Well, we already knew the Warner Brothers apparently did not have the rights to use the likeness of Neil Hamilton (AKA Commissioner Gordon) but, it seems that they also did not have the rights to use the likeness of Milton Berle (AKA Louie the Lilac). Mr. Freeze really didn't matter and every time they use the character he was portrayed by a different actor anyway.

The voice work was absolutely superb throughout. Especially Julie Newmar. She sounds as young and beautiful as ever. Burt Ward of course still sounds like his old self. Even Adam West who in the trailers sounded noticeably older did a fantastic job. After just a few minutes I had completely forgotten about him sounding older and he just sounded like Adam West. He did a great job changing from light knight to dark(er) knight. I might have to see this at least one more time today.

The one question I did have was Aunt Harriet. In the beginning she claims that she knew of their secrets. By the end that secret proved to be a surprise birthday party for her. I thought that would have been the perfect way to write it off saying that she already knew of the party. However she claimed that she never envisioned that that was the secret. So what secret does she know about? Did Bruce and Dick simply throw the party to try to throw her off track? Did Bruce and Dick simply throw the party to throw her off track? That sounds logical. But at the very end she once again states that the supposed fishing trips or cover up for that other Secret. So, does she know or not?
Jesusismysuperhero

***SPOILERS*** Favorite thing about ROTCC?

Post by Jesusismysuperhero »

For anyone who saw the new movie today: What was your favorite thing about it?
I really liked the part when Batman saw 3 Catwomen and it was Julie, Lee Merriweather, and Eartha Kitt.
I am interested in hearing about what other people liked best about it whether it was a specific part or a specific aspect about how the whole movie was done.
The Boss

Re: ***SPOILERS*** ROTCC Discussion

Post by The Boss »

I just watched it for the second time and noticed a few things that I hadn't before. First, a few bloopers: The Batmobile exits/enters from the wrong side of the Batcave. Bruce fires Alfred and then prepares to slide down the batpoles, he grabs the light (as opposed to the switch) in the bust. Then he leaves the bust open even though Aunt Harriet had just been snooping around. Finally after ordering Dick to the batpoles, Dick pauses. Bruce - having already stepped into the shaft - stands in mid air waiting for him. Toward the end - moments after Batman's duplicates turn to dust - Robin says, "Holy spontaneous combustion!" and the colors of his circled "R" are reversed just like "The New Adventures of Batman" by Filmation.

I also didn't notice that Jeff Bergman - while doing a better job than I originally thought he would - failed to include Cesar Romero's pronounced Latino accent.

And finally for this post so this was not exactly a blooper I hope they go back to the original Batmobile for the sequal cannot use the Batmobile hot rod.
BatmanBilly

Post by BatmanBilly »

My wife and 9 year old son and I went to see it today and we quite liked it.
It was fun to see Batman and Bruce go dark and act like a jerk and Robin really having to figure out what to do.
The only think I didn't like was that it was so so camped up. The cross walk scene was the best example. It takes you right out of the movie and announces "We're doing a joke here." It made my son laugh, which was a bad idea. When I was 9, watching the afternoon re-runs in the 70's I took it completely seriously. I had no idea there were jokes until I was 13 or 14. Kids should be right there with Batman and not laughing at Batman.
The voice performances were all well done and I loved the behind the scenes shot of Julie Newmar in her cat ears really getting into the part. Wally Wingert was great as the Riddler.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

BatmanBilly wrote: The only think I didn't like was that it was so so camped up. The cross walk scene was the best example. It takes you right out of the movie and announces "We're doing a joke here."
Well, everybody has their own taste. I personally loved the crosswalk joke. To me that joke more than any other felt like it came directly from the series because it showed Batman as such an over-the-top as a good citizen that he comes across as a complete square.
I loved the behind the scenes shot of Julie Newmar in her cat ears really getting into the part.
I agree. Julie Newmar's performance was fantastic! Even though it was animated Catwoman still came across as sensuous as ever. I don't know if that's a testament to the animators or if Julie Newmar's performance simply came through so strong that you just couldn't miss it. No offense animators but I'm inclined to go with the latter. ;)
Wally Wingert was great as the Riddler.
Yes he was. He was my favorite of all the impersonators. I also like how At the very end of the bonus featurette Wally made the comments that "the genie is out of the bottle". I hope that means that we're going to see a lot more of these 1966 animated films. Whether it be movies or a TV series.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I enjoyed it. I was really impressed by the voice acting...everyone recreating the villains was spot on, (kudos, Wally!) and the "old guard" were terrific. I was particularly impressed by Burt, whom I sort of expected to sound kind of stiff like he did in the late 70's saturday morning show, but I thought he was great! Oh, and big thumbs up to whomever that was doing the Dozier imitation as the narrator of the Gotham variety show.

The whole thing really felt like a time warp...a modern day recreation of the original show, with some clever easter eggs and in-jokes sprinkled throughout. It was like watching a lost episode of the original series, and I was pleasantly surprised from start to finish.

Since this is a spoilers thread, I'll add that I actually laughed out loud for a moment when they mocked the end of "The Dark Knight Rises"...(Catwoman suggests that they wind up at a cafe in Europe..."Holy unsatisfying ending!")

Adam invoked other famous Bat-lines...Michael Keaton's, "you wanna get nuts? let's get nuts!" and the bit from "The Dark Knight Returns" about being the surgeon. Nice little winks to the history of the character throughout.

There's one little thing I know I'll have to wait to see on the blu-ray...when the Batmobile is racing out of the cave the first time, in that extended cave sequence that seemed like the opening to "Get Smart", there was a little red sign towards the ceiling that races by too quickly to read. I'll have to wait to see if that was something clever or not.

My expectations were low, but the folks behind this surprised me, it was a lot more fun that I had hoped. My only disappointment is that there were fewer than ten people in the theater.
Jthree

Re: Favorite thing about ROTCC?

Post by Jthree »

So many things. I was wondering how Adam West could say some of the lines. Scenes were both funny and cringe-worthy. The ending credits for example. Kept wondering what feminists might think of the animated Julie Newmar's Catwoman's dancing, and A.W.'s Batman's "Batusisi," it was both funny and sad.

Loved the scene with the three Catwomen.
Loved the opening with the Batmobile, but didn't hear the "atomic batteries to speed." line.
Loved the helplessness of Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara.
Loved the opening credits, but wished they would have done more covers. They only did three to four, and I thought they would have done more.
They really pushed the Batman Catwoman romance for the shippers. Really. Way more than usual. During the ending sequence I expected them to actually get married.

Thought the "Batnip" references was too much a draw from the sixties show. They might as well called it "cataphrenic,"

I drove four hours from Williston ND to Bismarck ND. That was the closest to where they were playing it. Only about 10 people showed up for the 7:30 showing. I was lucky. A Mr. Green who worked on the "Surf's Up" episode from the sixties series showed up.

More later.
JThree
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

The visual impact on seeing the movie in the theater was stunning. I don't know if the film will as good on Blu Ray or DVD. There is so much there.

Felt sorry for Robin. It must really hurt when Batman and Catwoman go at it, and he just has to stand there and watch all that mush. Hopefully he'll get Barbara in a future film.

More later
JThree
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

When that red sign in the batcave tunnel zipped past, I just thought "freeze-frame Easter egg"!

My favorite visual was the bat-eared space helmet. Some of the sound-effect words during the catfights were great. Ditto the henchman costumes and the batcave labels.

It was done subtly, with winks and plenty of room for plausible deniability, but I think the secret Aunt Harriet suspected is that Bruce and Dick's relationship is something more than platonic. There's no evidence to back up that suspicion, of course, but having Mrs. Cooper jump to that conclusion is pretty clever, since (as the movie's fanboy creators certainly know) her character was allegedly created to dispel rumors of any such thing.
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

I thoroughly enjoyed it and also appreciate that it was so much more than simply an attempt to recreate a typical episode. I particularly loved the fact that it puts the Dynamic Duo in orbit and yet still manages to find an extra gear of lunacy to shift into afterwards! (Including what may be the finest Batfight of all time.)

They did an impressive job with the voice cast (especially Riddler, Aunt Harriet, and Gordon) and I have absolutely nothing but praise for Julie's return as Catwoman. It's a shame they didn't include a commentary track pairing her with Adam and Burt on the bluray.

Overall, this is easily my favorite of all the DC animated films and I hope they make many more. So many great in-jokes, easter eggs, and homages to both the tv series and other iconic iterations of the character.
Quillpen Quirch wrote:It was done subtly, with winks and plenty of room for plausible deniability, but I think the secret Aunt Harriet suspected is that Bruce and Dick's relationship is something more than platonic.
That was my interpretation as well. Even if it's meant to be ambiguous on Aunt Harriet's part, they're clearly expecting the audience to make the connection to the old joke about Batman and Robin being gay. (Notice that immediately after Alfred denies any suspicion, he makes a reference to needing to go "polish the doorknobs".) They also slipped in a few similar innuendoes, such as Batman's assertion that Robin would one day come to appreciate the "pungent aroma of feminine mystique"! :shock:

Holy Ribaldry, Batman! :lol:
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

thought the movie was great. here is my son and i at the theater.

Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Also loved seeing the surprise appearance of the "other" villains. Really nice. Hope that they show up again in a future film. The "others" deserve a movie of their own. You could argue that this is the Big Four's "second," time on the big screen.

If there was a "The Art of Batman: Return of the Caped Crusders Book," I would but it.

Loved the Bat Whirley Bats.

Third time here. But there was so much to absorb.

JThree
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:It was done subtly, with winks and plenty of room for plausible deniability, but I think the secret Aunt Harriet suspected is that Bruce and Dick's relationship is something more than platonic.
That was my interpretation as well. Even if it's meant to be ambiguous on Aunt Harriet's part, they're clearly expecting the audience to make the connection to the old joke about Batman and Robin being gay. (Notice that immediately after Alfred denies any suspicion, he makes a reference to needing to go "polish the doorknobs".) They also slipped in a few similar innuendoes, such as Batman's assertion that Robin would one day come to appreciate the "pungent aroma of feminine mystique"! :shock:

Holy Ribaldry, Batman! :lol:[/quote]

That was one thing I didn't care about in the film.
JThree
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

A few random moments (of many):

-Adam quoting Keaton's "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts"
-Adam getting to play a darker Batman
-Julie getting to play Catwoman in disguise ala Minerva Matthews
-Three Catwomen in-joke
-Bookworm on the cover of Detective Comics #27
-Catwoman breathing in the vacuum of space
-Utility belt duel! Utility belt duel!
-Batman's boast about the Batcomputer containing the equivalent knowledge of two sets of encyclopedias
-Batfight with the rogues' gallery (with most getting a moment to shine)
-"Riddle Me This! How do you throw a party in space? You planet!"
-Batman's line about diplomacy during the rocket flight (Adam's delivery cracked me up so much I couldn't remember the exact quote)
-The Gotham Palace dancers with the famous Batman hairdo

One thing that did surprise me is the fact that there was no cameo during the Batclimb. I wonder if they deleted one that had originally been planned?
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Batman quoting Batman,
"This is an operating table, and I'm the surgeon "
All the voice acting.