http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/theat ... -died.html
elmrgraham

Re: RIP Tammy Grimes

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP.
High C

Post by High C »

Grimes turned down the role in Bewitched that eventually went to Elizabeth Montgomery.

It's too bad Dozier basically blamed her for the failure of the show he produced--I honestly think she would have made an interesting Bat-villainess.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

High C wrote:she would have made an interesting Bat-villainess.
...or Batwoman!
Tammy Grimes 517258988.jpg
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

RIP.
High C wrote:Grimes turned down the role in Bewitched that eventually went to Elizabeth Montgomery.
...one of those stories that is considered a missed opportunity, but I always believed Montgomery's delivery/personality had as much to do with Bewitched's success as anything else. I could not see Grimes pulling that off.
It's too bad Dozier basically blamed her for the failure of the show he produced--I honestly think she would have made an interesting Bat-villainess.
Dozier was not the kind of producer to gather the right talents to successfully run multiple productions (e.g. Jack Webb). Aside from the initial drive behind the Batman TV series, Dozier's approach to series were largely out of step with the times--probably a bit too stiff, corny or old school for the late 1960s, especially the Dick Tracy and Who's Afraid of Diana Prince? pilots.

From what I've seen of The Tammy Grimes Show, it fell into that same, corny category, and the one constant of all three productions was Dozier. Grimes got a raw deal from the guy with the bigger name (at the time).
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I know her best from The CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I grew up loving het voice. RIP