The Adam West Batman Series We Missed Out On

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

Re: The Adam West Batman Series We Missed Out On

Post by Progress Pigment »

The Boss wrote:
eewdoc wrote:Just throwing my 2 cents in. The special features part of the Super powers Team, Galactic Guardians has interviews from the Hannah Barbera people stating that the "The Fear" episode was indeed a pilot for a new animated Batman cartoon.
Good. I'm glad to hear that there is more evidence out there than just internet blogs. Not because I wanted to be right but, because now maybe we can get past the argument of whether or not they planned a stand-alone Batman series and get back to the real purpose of this thread which was to discuss what the series would have been like.
Kind of a fascinating idea. It would've been decided different from "The New Adventures of Batman", which I love, but really "The New Adventures" was just an update of the old 60's Batman cartoons, with late 70's sensibilities added in and the violence removed. The inclusion of Clay-Face and other supernatural elements was interesting. But really, the only great thing about it was that it was being voiced by West & Ward.

The 1984 pilot, being a spin-off from "Galactic Guardians", would have seemingly kept Batman a world-wide figure and a Justice League member, not a stand-alone character trapped in the confines of Gotham City, as he was in The '66 series and all three cartoon versions of Batman -- and when I say all three cartoon versions of Batman I'm including B:TAS, which had not aired yet. In the pilot, we see Wayne Manor, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and party guests! Bruce is obviously maintaining his "Millionaire Playboy" persona here. In "New Adventures" Bruce & Dick lived like rich immature hermits, playing ping pong and experimenting with peanut-butter casseroles all day long! :? And interestingly, this was the only time the murder of Bruce's parent's had been alluded to since the first few seconds of the 1966 Batman pilot. Judging from the episode, it would have been grittier than "Galactic Guardians". And would've had a "World's Finest" feel possibly, since any Justice League character might show up. And a fantastic bonus, the pilot showed Adam West could do Batman seriously if the script called for it. Wow -- with a nice intro and continued good scripts, this series might've been one of the best animated series of all time -- along with the early 90's X-Men cartoons, and Justice League: Unlimited. The Batman series we missed out on, indeed.

Alan Burnett (writer) It was as far as you could take superheoroes on Saturday morning television

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... atman.html

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

There was an eBay auction a while back that I believe was the series treatment for this series. It was called something along the lines of The Secret Files of Batman or something of that sort. I would have bought it, but they were asking for a ridiculous sum, but it would have been a nice piece to share.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I hear a lot of peoplr referring to "sub par animation" but, I think it's actually above par - for it's time. I'm currently watching the Super Friends season 2 and notice that by comparison "The Fear" has far superior animation. It may not be up to 90s standards but remember that in the 80s they were still using hand painted cels were as by the 90s the drawings were scanned and colorized by computer which saved time and money allowing for a greater focus on animation.

So I think this new series would have more than acceptable animation (again... for it's time).
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Had never seen this. Excellent story. Great hearing Adam in the role. Typical Saturday-morning animation in those days, although I'd have to call that the definition of "sub-par". But on their budget, it's not like they could do "Fantasia" or something.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Progress Pigment

The Boss wrote:I hear a lot of people referring to "sub par animation" but, I think it's actually above par - for it's time. So I think this new series would have more than acceptable animation (again... for it's time).
lol!! The "sub-par" comment began with me. :roll: But you know actually, looking at it now it's not that bad -- it comes across as an interesting interpretation. A little like some of the art from the Batman comics in the late 70's. The first shots of Bruce Wayne in his tux however, look pretty harsh. Seeing it again my first thoughts are, OMG, is that Bruce Wayne? He needs to start moisturizing. Did he buy that tux off the rack? :) Although this one isn't bad.

They had a terrible time getting decent art work at this period. The animated movies of the time were astoundingly bad. "All Dogs Go To Heaven" from 1989 is a good example. I know at the beginning of "The Simpsons', they had some stuff animated in China that was just so bad they had to insist it be re-done. I've never looked into it and really don't know the reasons why -- the cartoon animation in the 90's was of course terrific, and in the 60's it's a work of art! The early Superfriends (Alex Tooth) was beautifully rendered. The writing was terrible. I hadn't noticed "The Fear" was drawn differently than the 'super-powers' episodes. I'll have to take a look. Oh, btw, this link mentions that "The Fear" was planned as a 'back door pilot' for a new cartoon series.

https://antiscribe.com/2012/07/14/batma ... n-edition/

The one episode that probably bears viewing for Batman fans is “The Fear” from the final season, which was designed to serve as a backdoor pilot for a new Batman series that ultimately never got off the ground. Penned by writer/producer Alan Burnett, who would go on to write for most of the animated Batman projects of the last 20 years, “The Fear” marked the first time that Batman’s tragic origin had been depicted outside of the world of the comics.
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

Kind of nice to see this substantiated. Too often, the attitude of "if I've never heard it, it never happened" by the self-appointed experts will stop a subject like this cold in its tracks. Good job "Boss".
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Bryan Grantham wrote:Kind of nice to see this substantiated. Too often, the attitude of "if I've never heard it, it never happened" by the self-appointed experts will stop a subject like this cold in its tracks. Good job "Boss".
Serious kudos to Progress Pigment for providing some info that we could sink our teeths into. Nice digging. Good reads.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Going ot but Adam should've been on such shows as Dallas and Dynasty playing various bad guys.....then he wouldn't have been so type casted and it would be different from Batman for sure (playing crooked lawyer , kidnapper or other hoodlums)
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Bryan Grantham wrote:Kind of nice to see this substantiated. Too often, the attitude of "if I've never heard it, it never happened" by the self-appointed experts will stop a subject like this cold in its tracks. Good job "Boss".
All the link offers is a re-wording of the same story:
The one episode that probably bears viewing for Batman fans is “The Fear” from the final season, which was designed to serve as a backdoor pilot for a new Batman series that ultimately never got off the ground. Penned by writer/producer Alan Burnett, who would go on to write for most of the animated Batman projects of the last 20 years, “The Fear” marked the first time that Batman’s tragic origin had been depicted outside of the world of the comics:
...but does not substantiate it with any information from Hanna Barbera (from the period), or (for example) Burnett or anyone else in that production confirming that that episode was designed as a backdoor pilot.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
All the link offers is a re-wording of the same story:
The one episode that probably bears viewing for Batman fans is “The Fear” from the final season, which was designed to serve as a backdoor pilot for a new Batman series that ultimately never got off the ground. Penned by writer/producer Alan Burnett, who would go on to write for most of the animated Batman projects of the last 20 years, “The Fear” marked the first time that Batman’s tragic origin had been depicted outside of the world of the comics:
...but does not substantiate it with any information from Hanna Barbera (from the period), or (for example) Burnett or anyone else in that production confirming that that episode was designed as a backdoor pilot.
eewdoc mentioned that, "The special features part of the Super powers Team, Galactic Guardians has interviews from the Hannah Barbera people stating that the "The Fear" episode was indeed a pilot for a new animated Batman cartoon." "Was indeed", might be a good indicator. But I don't own the dvd set -- but it might make a good Christmas present!

You know, find someone to confirm it was not designed as a backdoor pilot for a Batman series! It was printed in a couple of published books, and the fact that Alan Burnett wrote it would seem to mean something. I'm sorry to be a bit flip, but as a TV fan of longstanding, I think I know a pilot when I see one. And this was a pilot! This episode was pulled completely out of 'Super-Powers' continuity, It was a complete departure, and given much more care than any previous "Super Powers" episodes. I guess the only word that would be accepted unequivocally, would be that of Adam West. But seriously look at it, watch it, it's certainly a series pilot.

BATWINGED HORNET

Progress Pigment: then someone should ask Adam, Burnett or anyone else from that production for direct information.

...oh, and many things are printed (and reprinted) in books, but that does not mean the content is sourced to be true. For example, a few "authors" (I will leave nameless) still claim Charles Manson tried out for The Monkees--hammering this fairy tale as fact for decades, but that was shot to pieces--ages ago--by the rather well known fact that Manson was still incarcerated at Terminal Island during the time the Monkees project was formed, and was not released until March of 1967--the same time The Monkees were two albums in, and touring. The point being is that many stories are re-circulated, but without hard evidence, its still in the category of rumor or story.
Beneath Wayne Manor
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

^^^ So in other words Batwinged Hornet - according to you - NOTHING that you post (including your claim that this was not a pilot) should ever be taken seriously unless you can show absolute proof of everything you claim in each and every post.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

"still claim Charles Manson tried out for The Monkees"

Hulk Hogan : "Metallica asked me to join their band"

Liar , liar , orange goblin on fire....brother :P
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Mr.Freeze wrote: Hulk Hogan : "Metallica asked me to join their band"

Liar , liar , orange goblin on fire....brother :P
That's not what Hulk Hogan said. All he said was that he sent in an audition tape and that he never heard back.
BATWINGED HORNET

The Boss wrote:^^^ So in other words Batwinged Hornet - according to you - NOTHING that you post (including your claim that this was not a pilot) should ever be taken seriously unless you can show absolute proof of everything you claim in each and every post.
What did I post:
Progress Pigment: then someone should ask Adam, Burnett or anyone else from that production for direct information.
...which is the best evidence source one can ask for--instead of copy+paste stories that are still unsubstantiated--or could be just as false as the "Manson tried out for The Monkees" story reprinted time after time despite the truth proving it was someone's fantasy. Some may want to believe an Adam West Batman cartoon was going to be produced by Hanna Barbera in the late 1980s, but again, where's the hard evidence?
Beneath Wayne Manor