RIP Julie Gregg

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

RIP Julie Gregg

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Julie died last Monday from cancer at the age of 79. The obit's first paragraph actually mentions her Batman appearance along with her more prominent role in The Godfather:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... -79-946775
clavierankh

Re: RIP Julie Gregg

Post by clavierankh »

I understand she also appeared unbilled in the Batman 66 movie as the singer.

RIP
Nick Charles

Post by Nick Charles »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Julie died last Monday from cancer at the age of 1979.
Thanks for letting us know Dr. Shimel.

May she RIP. Although it's always sad when someone passes, living to the great ripe old age of 1979 means she had a great run through history :)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

An oops moment. Maybe I thought she was a King Tut moll.

She's the second Season One moll to pass away, though the only other one, Myrna Fahey (Blaze), passed away at the far too young age of 40 in 1973.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP Finella.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I am sorry to hear this. IMO Julie gave the best acting performance of any henchmoll in the series because she totally fooled me into thinking she was a typical "dumb blonde" type when I first saw the episode as a child. And then I discovered her in serious guest shots minus the blonde wig she wore on "Batman" and realized that this was a very talented actress. There is an episode of "Kojak" she did as a drug addict who has to tell all about a murder conspiracy while in the throes of withdrawal and it is utterly spellbinding. No other actress I ever saw on "Batman" could handle the weight of a scene like that.

Julie of course was also a gifted singer and it was her Tony nomination in the musical "The Happy Time" (which included David Wayne, the Mad Hatter, in the cast) that helped her break out of doing sitcom type guest shots and getting the more dramatic roles as her career progressed. It is indeed her as the nightclub singer in the Batman movie wearing the same dress from the final scene of her Batman episode.

The obituary alas repeats a goof perpetrated on IMDB which says she was "Miss Canary Islands" in the Mr. Freeze episode. That was not her and was based on a careless user seeing a resemblance on a faded print and it amazes me how after all these years IMDB hasn't fixed that (yet it took years for people to realize she was in the movie as the singer).
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Always sad when someone from the show passes. Condolences to her family and loved ones.

I hope Ms. Gregg knew the enjoyment her role on Batman brought to viewers and that her performance was still appreciated.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

That is a bummer. She was indeed the singer in the film as well. Had always planned to include her in my documentary, shame it will now have to be posthumous. :cry:
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
VintageMike

Post by VintageMike »

What a shame had no idea she was battling cancer. RIP. Definitely a favorite Moll of mine as well.
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Sad news, and I loved her performances on Batman.

I often do Google/Wiki searches on actors and actresses appearing on Batman when I see their names in the credits. Many of course have passed away, but it's often a surprise to learn some are still with us.

Sadly that number diminishes with each passing year.