USA Today rates Batgirl among TV's worst characters ever

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddlersgurl

Re: USA Today rates Batgirl among TV's worst characters ever

Post by Riddlersgurl »

How many people actually READ it though, that is the question.

I haven't read USA Today in YEARS, and really have no desire to do so.

They are just a low scale gossip sheet with delusions of grandeur.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I knew there was a reason I did not read the USA Today! I could give a hill of beans what this writer or poll says! Batgirl is my all time favorite female Superhero.
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batgirl as portrayed on the series was a problem beyond budget cuts and poor scripts. as developed and interpreted by Craig, Batgirl was a social dinosaur right out of the gates after audiences witnessed oft-mentioned strong women on TV in the years before her debut.

If all of that was not bad enough, Bat-fights--once one of the hallmarks of the series--had to be dumbed down in order to sell Batgirl's utter lack of fighting skill (a comment on the PTB), which turned Batman into something along the lines of the watered down kid-vid live action of the decade to follow (think Krofft or Filmation's superhero productions). The author of the USA Today piece was not as off the mark as some in this thread would attempt to argue. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think its a rather strained stretch for anyone to think season's three's problems did not include the handling of Batgirl.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Let's see - I just got through watching most of the 3rd season on ME-TV, and I'm not sure I get what you mean by Barbara Gordon being a social dinosaur. She wasn't Mrs. Peel in terms of a progressive portrayal per se, but she was a strong woman who seemed to fit the tone of the show and was pitch perfect in terms of Barbara's persona and Batgirl's.

I can cede a point towards the fights, in that they didn't allow Batgirl to throw fisticuffs and instead generally did ballet kicks or form group fights. I'm watching the Girl From UNCLE right now as well, and they aren't letting April Dancer do much physical action, even though one American series (Honey West) HAD shown an action woman in full command. But even with that, I think the Batman fights were often more fun than realistic, so I don't mind Batgirl's take. Still, as you say, we all have opinions about what is wrong or right about the show! :)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Well, I will confess that if Batgirl shows up in the pre-title sequence, or the animated titles, I tend to think, "Aw, darn...a third season episode." But that's a different thing altogether from saying SHE is the problem. Indeed, she's one of the few pluses of that period (along with Billy May's often excellent music).

I also don't think she's "too perky." I guess she's got a little of that "laughing daredevil" attitude with crooks, like a female Fairbanks, but she's hardly giddy or annoyingly "up" all the time like, say, Bat-Mite. And as Barbara Gordon, she's positively sober-minded...also arguably the sharpest mind on the show.

I'll grant him one point -- though it wasn't exactly his point -- in that, with the adventures trimmed to one episode apiece, it can get awfully crowded with three costumed heroes around. But I will also say this: my 4-year-old daughter watched with great patience as we crept toward Season 3 on MeTV based on my promises that one day a "Batgirl" would show up. And now that we're into that season, she's beyond thrilled. As the lone girl, with two older brothers, she's now "on the team" when it's time to play crimefighters. So for that alone I'm thankful to the showrunners, even though they hardly had her in mind 40+ years ago.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I had mentioned in a long-ago thread that the fact that Dozier was a guy born in 1908 no doubt shaped his viewpoint toward women and their role in society. The entire Nora Clavicle episode essentially portrayed every professional woman (with the exception, of course, of Ms. Clavicle) as incapable without the help of men.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The show certainly sent (At the least) mixed messages about women. The whole Nora Clavicle thing. Police Women with rolling pin night sticks who are more interested in sales than catching crooks. And even Batgirl basically saying all women are afraid of mice.

On the other hand Batgirl seemed e constantly disproving Batman's mutterings about crime fighting not being women's work. I thought that was the writer's way of saying women are better than you think Batman.

One thing thought. The frills on Batgirl's batcycle. If she's really a serious crime fighter she should want a vehicle that looks serious.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I agree; the lace trim was a bit TOO cutesy for a motorcycle, although the stylized bat wings weren't all that bad.

That tasselled pillow in place of the motorcycle seat had to GO, in my opinion.

And as for all women being afraid of mice, I am not one of them..

Rats are a different story. Rats are evil, disease ridden pests that have no redeeming value whatsoever.

At least that's how I feel about street rats.

Ordinary pet quality rats aren't too bad though, and how the heck did I start this tangent? :lol:
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Riddlersgurl, I hope you didn't interpret my my post to mean I think women are afraid of mice.

I was referring to the scene in Nora Clavicle where Batgirl says "I might have known, you can't get policewomen to capture mice." She seems to be conceding the old stereotype all women are afraid of mice.

I know your not afraid of rats. You obviously like that rat, The Riddler. :)
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Excuse me! My honey is not a rat!

He's an obnoxious, pretentious, conceited, loud, neurotic, and hyperactive jerk, but he is NOT a rat!

And I knew that you didn't mean that all women are afraid of mice.

Well, not unless they have a phobia about them, but that's another story.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Poor deluded child! If only she could weaned from this tragic alliance with the underworld!

Back to the topic.

Does anyone know if NOW had any comment on Batgirl as portrayed in the series?
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Would they have gone through the trouble of publishing that? I know that the NOW group got started in the 50's and 60's, but I don't really recall anything they might have said about Batgirl.

Maybe she was beneath their notice, or they just didn't care about the show.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I really liked reading the solo Batgirl stories in the back of the Detective comics back in the late '60s/early '70s. That said, when I first started watching season 3 as a kid I was disappointed with the limited one-dimensional aspect they gave her. It got too repetitive for me with her suddenly always appearing with her hands on her hips and smirking with the "Here I am. Look at me!" expression. Then she and Batman would trade the obligatory barbs about who was better suited to fight the criminal. I'd always roll my eyes and just want them to get on with it even though I always knew the fight would be the same and then she'd vanish leaving them to wonder about her. It worked for the first couple of episodes, but then I wanted them to go more like the comic where she didn't have anything to prove and they'd just team up and get the job done. Batgirl as a character looked great and Yvonne really brought her to life. The Cycle was always a visual treat and I'd always get a kick out of seeing her secret Batgirl hideaway on the other side of the apartment. The problem was the same problem the series suffered from the start of Season 2. Repetition, predictability, cheapness, and careless script-writing really did a number on a show that could have had such a huge potential if only Dozier, the producers and writers, and the network given it a little more respect as they first had in Season 1.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Bob

Post by Bob »

She looked great in the costume but was a terrible character. By the time she arrived the show was out of gas and batgirl hurt more then helped. No malice intended. Just one man's opinion
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Maybe that's why she was created, to give the series a shot in the arm, and get it going again.

And, she could have worked; if the writers had thought her out properly, the episodes had stayed at the same length, and she'd had a couple of solo episodes.

I don't think she could have carried her own series, though. Not unless it had the same kind of fire that the first season of Batman did, and maintaned it consistently.