USA Today rates Batgirl among TV's worst characters ever

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

USA Today rates Batgirl among TV's worst characters ever

Post by Dr. Shimel »

In today's USA Today, they have a list of their 12 worst characters in a TV show. Batgirl is among them and is noted this way:

"It's not often you can use one character to draw a bright line between a series' watchable and unwatchable episodes -- but that's our Batgirl for you.

"A pariah to all true fans (despite the appeal the tight costume had for a certain subset), Batgirl marks the moment the series crossed the precipice from camp spoof to buffoonish idiocy, leaving behind all traces of the competence and care that marked the first season and dwindled in the second.

"Aside from being unbearably perky (which was the writers' fault, not Craig's), Batgirl took time away from the already thin plots and from the relationship between Batman and Robin. And no, not like that: This was a more innocent, family hour time. Despite that tight costume."
Killer Moth

Re: USA Today rates Batgirl among TV's worst characters ever

Post by Killer Moth »

Needles to say, I disagree! I knew that many regarded the 3rd season at the nadir of the show, but I found on rewatching them recently on ME-TV that the 3rd season episodes were among my favorite as a kid... and as an adult, I still thought they were fantastic. And Batgirl as a character did nothing but add to the fun IMHO!

So - fie on you, USA Today!
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I disagree too. The problem was adding a new main character and cutting the running time in half. It made the shows looked hurried.
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

I also disagree!! For one thing, Batgirl made her debut in the comics before showing up on TV. She had a really terrible break when it came to the show, but I will say that her character was one of the brightest things about the Third Season.
exm

Post by exm »

And at the top of the "12 Worst Newspaper" polls is.....

Who's the writer, btw? If he/she is saying true fans of the Batman *character* hate Batgirl, that's wrong because that group just hates the whole show, if they hate anything! If they mean true fans of the show itself, that's not right either (unless you just make the definition "true fan" as a Batgirl-hater) because that group is the folks who post here, and that's never been a commonly-held opinion here. "12 Worst" should sensibly be reserved for characters that garnish Scrappy-Doo-level universal loathing
Batwrangler

Post by Batwrangler »

This is the veiw from an adult not a 12year old
The Windsheld Cowboy when im Trucking
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Is there a link to this article? I couldn't find it via Google.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... e/1715413/

Batgirl (with the misspelled "Barbara Gordan" also included) is the last one of the group.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Thanks for the link. I said a thing or two. I don't even think this was an actual poll. Just the writer's personal list from what I could tell.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I must agree to a point
svl

Post by svl »

Hey, "Bob", your last name isn't "White" by chance, is it?

Left a little comment there myself. Critics make my skin crawl.

Why do critics critique? Because they can't DO.... :)
dell

Post by dell »

I saw a similar article about who looked best in a catsuit on aTV show. Julie Newmar came in 5th or 6th. Seriously?!?!?!? People who have nothing better to do write these articles. Complete junk in my opinion.
dell
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Some people have nothing better to do that spout a bunch of vitriol over stuff like this.

I for one LOVED Batgirl, back when I was a little girl. I thought she was spunky and a great role model, and I wanted to be her SOOOOOOO badly.

Of course, I was four years old when I started watching the reruns at length and really understanding it.

And when I got the Mego Batgirl doll, I was a bit disappointed that she looked nothing like Yvonne Craig, and wore that dark grey uniform.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

While I am not a big fan of third season Batman, it was due to budget cutbacks, poorly written scripts, and production value that had dropped to levels not seen even in high school plays--it had little, if anything, to do with Yvonne Craig/Batgirl. Batgirl's addition is what saved third season--not doomed it.
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

Well, if USA Today is saying it, it must be true. :lol: Oh dear. :?