Why did they use the bat poles?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmiteReturns

Why did they use the bat poles?

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Does anyone know why the creators of the show used these? Why not the stairs like they do in the comics? I know it's a really cool visual and a quick way to get them in their costume but does anyone know the reasoning behind it? Thanks.
John Mack

Re: Why did they use the bat poles?

Post by John Mack »

Besides your points, it's an impressive visual that I think is a reflection of firefighters of the times. Firemen, as they were called then, used poles to go from their living quarters to the waiting fire engines and equipment below. Some fire stations still use poles today. In my experience in life, more firefighters were inspired by our TV series to do what they do than those who became police officers. I work with many EMTs in my job and whenever the subject of 66 Batman comes up, there is great admiration shown, but many police officers are just the opposite, taking instead, their heroes from say Adam 12, Law and Order, CSI, NCIS and other police driven shows.
Hope this helps you.
Music. BAT! Music.
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

There's also the story that Dozier was inspired by Hugh Hefner's original Playboy Mansion in Chicago. It included a fireman's pole that guests could use to access a bar in the lower level.

Adam has cited that as the origin, most recently on the extras of the complete series box set. (I believe it's during the "Bats of the Round Table" featurette.)
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

It's funny, I was watching the Dark knight and the Dark Knight Rises and when Lucius Fox pushes a button under his desk the book case slides over to reveal a secret elevator down to applied sciences where he keeps the prototypes Bruce "borrows" to be used as Batman's tools/vehicles.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

One of our To the Batpoles listeners pointed out that there was a point when they had a batpole (singular) in the comics. She pointed us to Batman #96 in 1955 -- "it was installed to honor Gotham City Firefighters."

Assuming Dozier or someone else ran across this issue in the developmental research, they probably realized that sliding down poles had more inherent urgency to it than going down stairs...
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
dell

Post by dell »

If I could have figured out a way to install a Batpole in the house we built I would have done it. And a sliding bookcase too. Just too cool.
dell
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

But then you have to have a place for the Batpole to go! Time to build a Batcave?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"