Did Adam West Do Any Batman Adventures In The 90s?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Did Adam West Do Any Batman Adventures In The 90s?

Post by The Boss »

In the 60s he of course first donned the cowl as the Caped Crusader in the famous 1966 TV series as well as a major motion picture based on the series. He also appeared as Batman in a PSA selling U.S. savings bonds in addition to multiple appearances in costume on variety shows such as The Hollywood Palace and The Milton Berle Show. He also recorded several songs in Batman fashion the most notable arguably being Miranda.

In the 1970s he again wore the cowl in two Legends Of The Superheroes prime time television specials. He also continued to make guest apearances (sometimes in full costume and sometimes in just cowl, gloves and utility belt) on various local shows such as The Floppy Show from Des Moines, IA, Past Prime Playhouse from Cincinnati, OH and even went face to face with "Super King" Jerry Lawler on an episode of Championship Wrestling from Memphis, TN. While in the UK in 1976 he recorded another Batman record titled simply Batman and Robin. It's also belived to be the seventies (he didn't specify the date in his autobiography) when what West feels was the lowpoint of his Batman career took place when he agreed to be shot out of a cannon over a car lot in Evansville, IN. But not all was dark in the 70s as both West and Burt Ward reprised their iconic roles giving voice to the Dynamic Duo in Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman in 1977.

In the 80s Adam continued to make personal apearances in full costume (both with and without Burt as Robin). He also returned to voicing the Caped Crusader in the last two seasons of Hanna-Barbera's Superfriends series. While out of character we also saw several Batman cast reunions as Batmania was once again heating up for the 20th anniversary of the series. West (and other cast members) even got back into (semi) character to record bumpers for Batman marathons as they introduced each episode from makeshift sets. Batmania was so high that many fans were calling for the cast to get back together for a made for TV reunion movie (which were popular at the time). Everything seemed to be running along smoothly until sometime in 1989... when that Tim Burton film was made.

In the 90s there seems to be nothing from West as far as Batman is concerned. Oh, he still made personal apearances but, never again as Batman. Mennwhile, after the initial success of the first film, the three followups got worse with each entry until the entire Batman franchise was nearly destroyed. Even the new animated series - while initially pleasant was mangled by changes in drawing style until the characters looked grotesque and unappealing. It was time to pick up the Batphone and call Adam West.

The turn of the century saw the return of the most beloved Batman of all. In 2003 Adam West, Burt Ward, Frank Gorshin, Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwether reprised their roles (sort of) in the well recieved, Return To The Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt. 2005 saw Adam return to the role this time opposite Mark Hammil's Joker in the CGI animated Lego Batman short, Batman New Times. Who says that Adam West couldn't pull off the dark Batman? And of course this year Adam and Burt once again returned to voice the dynamic duo in Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders with the sequal already in production for next year. WHEW! That's one heck of a Batman career. But does anywone know of ANY Batman work from the 90s?
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Did Adam West Do Any Batman Adventures In The 90s?

Post by Scott Sebring »

To my recollection, in film or TV media, no. He did the voice for the Grey Ghost episode of Batman TAS, drove a Batmobile out of his driveway from an episode of the Simpsons. The time he did a voice as Batman in the Simpsons was in 2002 for "Large Marge." In print media, he did "Adam West Remembers Batman - 30 Year Anniversary" where he did put on the cape and cowl again for a photo shoot (shown here). He wrote his book. But no TV or film incarnations of Batman.
Adam as Batman in the 90s
Adam as Batman in the 90s
On a side note to people responding. Only address the question presented in this thread as to whether or not Adam Appeared as Batman in the 90s and lets not get sidetracked by any difference of opinions one may have to the summary The Boss posted as part of the question itself. Anything else will just get deleted.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Scott Sebring wrote:In film or TV media, no. He did the voice for the Grey Ghost episode of Batman TAS, drove a Batmobile out of his driveway from an episode of the Simpsons. The time he did a voice as Batman in the Simpsons was in 2002 for "Large Marge." In print media, he did "Adam West Remembers 30 years of Batman" where he did put on the cape and cowl again for and photo shoot. He wrote his book. But no TV or film incarnations of Batman.

adam.jpg
That's an awesome picture! Thanks for posting! :)
On a side note to people responding. Only address the question presented in this thread as to whether or not Adam Appe ared as Batman in the 90s and lets not get sidetracked by any difference of opinions one may have to the summary The Boss posted as part of the question itself. Anything else will just get deleted.
Sorry, I did get a little carried away. lol I was just trying to emphasize how much Batman work Adam West has done in every decade except for the 90s.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

When I first saw this I (excitedly) was sure it was from the late 80's or early 90's -- sometime after Adam was told to stop wearing the costume in public appearances due to Batman(1989).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeRZFJScvE[/youtube]

But it's most likely from the 70's. Adam wore a similar outfit in a local TV piece with the wrestler Jerry Lawler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpaQlfJsqCs

After the '89 film, West seemed to realize popular culture had (momentarily) moved on. His film & TV career picked up, largely due to the late Fred Wostbrock I'm guessing, and he got some fairly decent film roles, did the Conan O'Brian "Lookwell" pilot (a terrible shame that didn't pan out), and began playing himself on big budget network promo & commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQ3HbB0c8Y

In interviews by the mid-90's he began saying he'd like to play "Uncle Batman". Funny, since in his book Adam mentioned he had the idea of having Robert Lowery (1949's Batman & Robin) come in as Bruce's uncle in an episode. :shock:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... est/n10713

It wasn't until the 2000's that he began getting a chance to do Batman again. The faux Batman episode on the Simpson's was probably his first since "The Fear". Then there was the incredible Lego student film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_N9RL1qRWo

Oh, I just want to put up this 1988 "Reunion Party" thing just because it's so cool. The new Batman movie had not been released yet, erupting it's own version of Batmania, and there was still just one Batman.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQJLaxuikA[/youtube]
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I found one! A parody actually. In 1997 on the Boo Wonder segment of episode 93 of Animaniacs Adam voiced The Caped Crusader/Spruce Wayne in a parody of the 1966 Batman TV series with Chicken Boo as his sidekick.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Cool!
Progress Pigment

Wow, nice one Boss! Cool that Adam has never gone an entire decade without putting on the cowl, even if it is drawn on. Here's a short clip. With the Shakespeare bust, the Bat-poles and a terrific looking Batcave! There's even a crest on "Spruce" Wayne's jacket! They went all out. It's practically a forerunner to the new "Return of Batman". :)

***Admin edit - We can't post or even link episodes (or self contained segments like this one) from copyrighted shows even if they are on YouTube unless they are hosted or shared there by the license holding party. Check our rules on the matter. Do not respond to this notice via this thread.***
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

The Boss wrote:I found one! A parody actually. In 1997 on the Boo Wonder segment of episode 93 of Animaniacs Adam voiced The Caped Crusader/Spruce Wayne in a parody of the 1966 Batman TV series with Chicken Boo as his sidekick.
I have been a Batman fan for 40 years and never knew the Animaniacs segment existed. I just googled a clip of it and it is really well done. They even have the Batmobile from our beloved show. Well done!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Progress Pigment wrote:Wow, nice one Boss! Cool that Adam has never gone an entire decade without putting on the cowl, even if it is drawn on.
Thanks. I have spent months looking for some kind of Adam West Batman footage from the 90s. Then, just 12 hour after I ask for help in this forum I found it!
Here's a short clip. With the Shakespeare bust, the Bat-poles and a terrific looking Batcave! There's even a crest on "Spruce" Wayne's jacket! They went all out. It's practically a forerunner to the new "Return of Batman". :)
"Return of Batman"? Do you mean "Batman: The Return of the Caped Crusaders" or did I miss out on something?
Progress Pigment

No, I meant 'Return of the Caped Crusaders' or Batman:TLAS (the long awaited special.) :? I was using shorthand. Anyone else heard that episode 2 will co-star William Shatner as Two-Face? Holy another 60's icon. Wow. Adam had to live to almost 90 to make this "return" happen! As if there wasn't enough to admire about the man, now I have to add his longevity.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/10/n ... rs-sequel/