TO THE BATPOLES podcast #50: Turning Time Backward: "The Impractical Joker" 1st Draft

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #50: Turning Time Backward: "The Impractical Joker" 1st Draft

Post by bat-rss »

At last the time has come to examine that Jay Thompson script "Hickery Dickery Doc", the script that Charles Hoffman turned into "The Impractical Joker"/"The Joker's Provokers"! Besides looking at the similarities and differences between the two scripts, and considering why Hoffman made the changes he did, we also found that this script's missteps helped us reach a better understanding of some basic characteristics of the '66 TV show's version of the character of Batman.

Also, we found the most awesome version EVER of Hefti's Batman theme to start the show, and more of your mail!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/050-tur ... ical-joker
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #50: Turning Time Backward: "The Impractical Joker" 1st Draft

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:33 am
At last the time has come to examine that Jay Thompson script "Hickery Dickery Doc", the script that Charles Hoffman turned into "The Impractical Joker"/"The Joker's Provokers"!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/050-tur ... ical-joker
Thanks for sharing the script! It's fun to read the unused scripts and treatments.

cheers
bat-rss

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #50: Turning Time Backward: "The Impractical Joker" 1st Draft

Post by bat-rss »

Very much so! I'd be happy if we had a stack of those to go through, episode after episode of the podcast!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:47 am Very much so! I'd be happy if we had a stack of those to go through, episode after episode of the podcast!
Yes! Definitely an untapped website resource for the show.

To the original draft, while I appreciate a story that broke the pattern, it just didn't work for me, too much despair on Batman's part and a weirdly anti-climatic ending. I don't know if I like the filmed version that much better though, aside from Cornelia...!

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yes, Kathy Kersh was definitely a highlight of that arc!