Talia in the 60's

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jthree

Talia in the 60's

Post by Jthree »

Dear Bat-Fans:

In the Batman 66 meets Wonder Woman 77, the writers have include both a young and "current-age" Talia. I know, I know, this is a nonsense question, but which actresses in the sixties could have played the young Talia, and the older version. I can't think of anyone yet to play the latter, but I wondered if the young girl who played Wednesday in the Addams Family could have done a decent job at playing Ras Al Ghul's daughter?

Any thoughts?

---Jthree
elmrgraham

Re: Talia in the 60's

Post by elmrgraham »

Probably.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

You need somebody exotic for Talia, the woman who played Spocks wife on Star Trek would be great.
Why would she be a child in the 60s? Regardless, I know so few actors and actresses especially children I'd have to let someone else chime in.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

AndyFish wrote:You need somebody exotic for Talia, the woman who played Spocks wife on Star Trek would be great.
Why would she be a child in the 60s? Regardless, I know so few actors and actresses especially children I'd have to let someone else chime in.
You mean T'pring played by Arlene Martel....she has the exotic side down.
As for age? Well Talia's first appearance was in 1971 (the year I was Born) and she seemed to be in her early to mid twenties in that story (let's say 25) that means she would have been no younger than 19 in 66 (I think Bruce was in his thirties during the series run)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Being immortal, wouldn't Talia have looked 25 for probably a couple of decades at least? :)
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I recall a thread on this topic in a long-ago iteration of the board. My nominee then was Lana Wood, Natalie Wood's kid sister. Arlene Martel is a great choice, though.

JA
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I don't really know of anyone from the 60s. When we were suggesting casting in a 1970s Batman film, I suggested Caroline Munro as Talia to Christopher Lee's Ra's Al Ghul. I've seen other people suggest the same pairing since, and wonder if we came up with the same idea separately.

For the 60s, I'm sort of tempted to say Barbara Steele. I think Ingrid Pitt was active in the 1960s, although most of her movies that I know are from the 70s.

Although she is mostly known as a red-head, I can see Luciana Paluzzi with her hair dyed brunette as Talia.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Dark haired actresses weren't much in vogue in the late 60's. About the only one I can come up with who had the looks & talent to pull off Talia al Ghul is Ali McGraw.

Not exotic enough? The most recent comics incarnations of Talia make her look almost exactly like uber-Caucasian ex-Ben Affleck wife (good for her) Jennifer Garner!

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

gothosmansion wrote:, I suggested Caroline Munro as Talia to Christopher Lee's Ra's Al Ghul. I've seen other people suggest the same pairing since, and wonder if we came up with the same idea separately.

For the 60s, I'm sort of tempted to say Barbara Steele. I think Ingrid Pitt was active in the 1960s, although most of her movies that I know are from the 70s.

, I can see Luciana Paluzzi with her hair dyed brunette as Talia.
You know, I thought of Christopher Lee as Ra's Al Ghul also. I have a feeling others thought he would have been perfect as the character in the sixties show.

===jthree
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

You know, I thought of Christopher Lee as Ra's Al Ghul also. I have a feeling others thought he would have been perfect as the character in the sixties show.

===jthree
Ra's didn't appear until 1971 when Denny O'Neal and others were trying to purge the influence of the TV series from the comics. Not that they were fanatics about it like say, Michael Uslan. The 60's were over, the TV show had crashed & burned, & it was time to turn the page. As the series was played, by the end especially, it and Ra's would have been fairly incompatible. I can't see it working. His character would have come off as a cross between King Tut and Louie the Lilac. The character as drawn by Neal Adams surely must have been modeled after Lee. He is just too physically similar not to be. And if you see "The Man the Golden Gun" Lee basically was Ra's Al Ghul! Albeit, without the whiskers and the immortality.

http://13thdimension.com/the-greatest-r ... t-to-play/

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Here's a timely take on casting Talia by 13th Dimension blogger Dan Greenfield. It even riffs on the Christopher Lee-as-Ra's al-Ghul idea!

http://13thdimension.com/caroline-munro-the-greatest-talia-there-never-was
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Neal Adams has cited Lee as the physical influence on Ra's.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

AndyFish wrote:Neal Adams has cited Lee as the physical influence on Ra's.
What's interesting, if you follow the link at the bottom of the Talia article, is that Adams also cites Lee as a visual influence on his Batman.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Well to be fair, Jim, he cites Lee's ability to make the cape move as Dracula as an influence on his Batman, not Lee's physical characteristics.

One of the big things that artists forget-- and I'm not sure even Neal remembers this, Ra's is supposed to have no eyerbrows. Denny O'Neil was adamant about it and many have interpreted Neal's original take as heavy eyebrows when in fact it's just his eyes are in deep sockets.

Denny said the lack of eyebrows gave Ra's the bizarre look he was going for.

Would have been great to see Lee as Ra's in the '66 show. Had they not lost their way with camp the show might have gone on long enough to see that happen.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Talisa Soto looks like Talia , she was born in '67 though :P