Joker's Moustache - To Airbrush Or Not To Airbrush?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Joker's Moustache - To Airbrush Or Not To Airbrush?

Post by Yellow Oval »

I was watching the show and realized that if and when the DVD set is released - the computer technology is there in which Cesar's famously makeup-slathered moustache could be airbrushed out of the frames. My question is would this be preferred amongst the fans or not? I know in some of the distant scenes (inside the electric chair truck w/ Donna Loren, for example) when his face looks clean-shaven he looks way more terrifying as his moustache is not a visual or mental distraction from his character. I personally try to always look at his maniacal eyes which seems to make the moustache vanish. In any event, what is your opinion on airbrushing? Keep it original or make it as the producers originally wished?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Joker's Moustache - To Airbrush Or Not To Airbrush?

Post by Scott Sebring »

Leave it. Don't go all George Lucas on any of it. As a kid I never noticed it and my eyes never go right to it anyway.
scottmandew

Post by scottmandew »

I also say leave it. If it was digitally removed, I would notice THAT more than the mustache.
We thought we'd have to teach our son about the world. Turns out we have to teach the world about our son. They see a boy who cannot speak. We see a miracle who doesn't need words.
http://www.ourjourneywithoneofgodsmirac ... gspot.com/
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

Hmmm. I think with the hi resolution, it may bother me to leave it. I would have to see before and after to decide....
Lewis Tully

Post by Lewis Tully »

LEAVE IT!!!! That's the way it was, and the way it should stay. It was a silly thing, but it isn't going to improve the show, or the character to erase it and act like it didn't happen. I think it is funny, and it just further accentuates the awesome nuances of the show.
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

I airbrush my eyebrows out of all my photos. I just like it better that way.

Kidding.

Leave the mustache! I really DON'T dig the revised Star Trek episodes....You don't need to "improve" something that was already great.

My eyebrows stay too.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Totally agree with Mr. Sebring
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I say no. Cesar's Mustache is iconic.

It makes you wonder though if Batman was made intoday's Hi-Def world what TPTB would do.

I see four choices:

1. Let him keep it as today.

2. Force him to shave or get another actor.

3. Airbrush it out as is suggested here.

4. Create an appliance to cover his upper lip.

I wonder what they would do.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Leave it alone. If and when we do have a DVD release, I want to see it as it was. A few years back,I bought the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition DVDs specifically to have the movies as they were released. I never watched the revised Lucas versions that were included.
Martin Zamorano

Post by Martin Zamorano »

No, I don´t like it. is part of the Batstory the Cesar{s Mustache
Adam West Squadron BATMANIA - www.batmania.com.ar
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

I would not airbrush it out. That said, I personally prefer that the 'stache wasn't there. Not that I noticed in 1966, but I would not airbrush Cesar's facial hair for a DVD/Blu-ray release.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Not only should they not airbrush it out, but when they get around to making the action figures, they should sculpt a mustache on and paint over it with white.

This would all be so much simpler if the comic book Joker would just grow one. :-)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Gothamite

Post by Gothamite »

I say leave it. Cesar's mustache is a part of his character, a part of our favorite Joker. Leave it :)
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Offtopic: @SprangFan You better not lot any comic fans hear you say that. Because they would be calling for your'e head on a stick. Lol.

But on on topic: It be pointless to go through with this now. Since they never bothered to do this with movie which came out on blu-ray a few years ago.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Robin Holyisms, maybe some old-school comic fans would be sore about Joker growing a mustache, but the new crowd either wouldn't care or would consider it a blessing compared with what's actually been done to the character in recent months.

I won't dignify the plot development in question by typing it here, but let's just say it's pretty gruesome, although on the up(?) side it does make it impossible for him to ever grow a mustache. :shock: In the 80s, DC Comics' motto was "Not just for kids any more!" Now they should change the word "just" to "fit".
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."