Dawn Robbins at the end of The Penguin's A Jinx

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Killer Moth

Dawn Robbins at the end of The Penguin's A Jinx

Post by Killer Moth »

Dawn Robbins the glamorous model (played by Lesley Parrish), after being rescued by Batman and Robin, is shown to be smitten by the crimefighter. This leads to a weirdly down-beat exchange at the end where Bruce Wayne realizes that "Batman" is going to get in the way of his love life, and for that matter, Dawn will never find another person to replace The Bat in her life, not even Bruce Wayne. Am I alone in taking the finale of this episode as being the most melancholy of the series?
66wasbest

Re: Dawn Robbins at the end of The Penguin's A Jinx

Post by 66wasbest »

I would say the end of eps.#2 when Bruce expresses his regret over Molly's death.one can tell he had serious feelings for her and wished he couldve got her away from The Riddler and his gang.He realizes that being on opposite sides of the law made it hard for him to do so.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

that was indeed sad... as was the death of Catwoman at the end of her first episode when she wouldn't let go of the loot.... but for some reason Dawn Robbins seemed saddest of the all!
mattman

Post by mattman »

And was there not indeed a tear when Batman thought Catwoman plunged into the ocean?
However, a few stories later he was going for milk and cookies with Lisa Carson, played by the movie Catwoman.....
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Killer Moth wrote:but for some reason Dawn Robbins seemed saddest of the all!
She eventually turned her heartache into an "alliance with the underworld" by becoming Mr. Freeze's (Eli Wallach version) moll. :P
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
She eventually turned her heartache into an "alliance with the underworld" by becoming Mr. Freeze's (Eli Wallach version) moll. :P
*CHOKE* you are right about that! I guess if you can't have Batman in your life, the next best thing is to join the villains! :shock: :lol:
High C

Post by High C »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
HAHA!! Nice.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Saddest ending for High C: Siren getting captured. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

66wasbest wrote:I would say the end of eps.#2 when Bruce expresses his regret over Molly's death.one can tell he had serious feelings for her and wished he couldve got her away from The Riddler and his gang.He realizes that being on opposite sides of the law made it hard for him to do so.
I would tend to agree with this, though I never took Dawn Robbins' lament as a sign of something really tragic, but as someone who was really smitten with Batman. Note, though, that her episode aired one week after the pilot, so there was a darker edge to the very first episodes.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

High C wrote:Saddest ending for High C: Siren getting captured. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Look at the bright side, Robin could have let her drop to her death, but decided to be nice guy (or was he just a wimp?) :D
High C

Post by High C »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
High C wrote:Saddest ending for High C: Siren getting captured. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Look at the bright side, Robin could have let her drop to her death, but decided to be nice guy (or was he just a wimp?) :D
HAHA!! Well, I always was hoping Siren would double-cross him, not sing the 'antidote note,' and instead command Bruce to remove Robin's earplugs. That would be High C's 'Director's Cut.' 8-)

And as for the original topic, Killer Moth didn't say the Dawn Robbins ending was 'tragic.' He called it 'melancholy,' and I tend to agree. She looked like she was in a daze without Batman, and it was rather sad. Definitely an ending that wouldn't have been written in season 3.