Re-Casting Batman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

Re: Re-Casting Batman

Post by Progress Pigment »

BatBrain wrote: While on the subject, he did do a fine interpretation of West!
Yes, actually quite good! Craning his head up in the West fashion. There must be a story of why he ended up doing it. It's kind of surprising they didn't just grab some stand-in. But I guess they had the budget to pay West, so opted to hire another trained actor. In a way, I'm actually glad he did it instead of Adam. It gives us a glimpse into how another actor might have played it. And as far as the commercial, Yvonne Craig actually made A LOT more money that Burt Ward! Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATachXo6tpc

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Boy, oh boy, I'm really torn after reading all of these. I really don't know who I would have cast as Batman. I don't think Lyle Waggoner would have been good. His voice just ruins it for me personally. Clayton Moore was older but I agree, would have owned the role. Deeno is an interesting choice. After seeing all of these ideas, I agree, after all these years, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Adam as Batman.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

SprangFan wrote:I don't know about Clayton Moore.

It may be heretical to say it on these boards, but I always felt Adam's Batman was meant to be a lampoon of old-school, square-jawed heroes in general and The Lone Ranger in particular. The steadfast moral correctness, the flag-and-apple-pie speeches, the tea-totaling lifestyle...there's a postmodern irony to it all

It's fascinating to me that in the long haul the '66 Batman is cherished as an exemplar of old-school straight-arrow heroes, and maybe the last of the breed, because I really believe he was meant to be the parody that retired that old "type" for good. I feel a show that aimed at being -- at most -- a huge (if fleeting) "happening" for adults ended up being more deeply and meaningfully appreciated by their children, who weren't even the primary targeted audience. Yes, the parents got a laugh and moved on as expected (though maybe faster than hoped), but the kids took it to heart and never let go. Because kids in the 60s, "sophisticated" an era as it was or thought it was, are just like kids today: they crave and embrace sincere heroes. Adam's Batman can stand as a "sincere" hero if you forgive the fact that the entire show turns on the inherent "silliness" of the notion.

I think this is the most insightful post on the Batman show on this or the old board.

I agree, the show wasn't meant to be taken seriously by adults from the very first episode, but it wasn't supposed to end up with toy explosive either! Too much winking at the camera aka the Roast and the Special are the nadir though it is very satisfying to see Batman punch out Gorshin's Riddler one last time as well as having Robin fight Giganta.

I think the parody of politics with the Penguin is one of the highlights of the series and shows what could've been with better writing.

There will always be room for sincerity in fiction, despite the hipness of irony and distance; people still want that and the pure battle of good and evil will always appeal, it just comes down to how the story is told.

I don't know what to say Sprangfan, your post really hits at the heart of the show and its ripple effect.