Batman VS Twoface News?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

Re: Batman VS Twoface News?

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Pfft. Harlan's written some great short stories and some bad ones; everyone has their bad days.

He doesn't get a pass because he's Ellison; his script felt more like a regular Batman comic than a 1966 story. Great art though!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

It's not much but here's an interview with Burt Ward teasing the movie.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/10/11/excl ... crusaders/
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Adam West has stated in interviews that he wanted Kim Novak to guest star on the series. Maybe she could voice herself in a window cameo in the upcoming movie.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

The Boss wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:15 am Adam West has stated in interviews that he wanted Kim Novak to guest star on the series. Maybe she could voice herself in a window cameo in the upcoming movie.
Funny. I remember reading in his book that she & West had lunch, and he was quite smitten. But she although nice, showed no interest in that direction. Reading it I thought of her as an older established actress, and he a younger up-and-coming star. She is actually 83 today to his 88! But she was certainly established in '66. I'm glad to see West mentioned Vertigo. A failure when released it's often mentioned today as Hitchcock's greatest film. And in some lists, THE greatest film. Imagine that woman as Zelda! It boggles the mind.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/10/07/the- ... -revealed/

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Well. Since Return of the Caped Crusaders came out last early October, we could guess that Batman vs Two Face might come out in Fall of 2017. So we have about 8 months for the sequel to come out. That's guessing, if it's been planed that way.
-----jthree
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I'd sure like to know when this is coming out, because I'm trying to plan future To the Batpoles! episodes and I'd like to know when to plan to review it! haha

I wonder if it'll be launched at New York Comicon again?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:22 pm Pfft. Harlan's written some great short stories and some bad ones; everyone has their bad days.

He doesn't get a pass because he's Ellison; his script felt more like a regular Batman comic than a 1966 story. Great art though!
Regarding the comics version of the Two-Face story... remember that Ellison didn't write a full-blown script, just a treatment. Len Wein wrote the script, which is probably why it felt like "a regular Batman comic." Wein has much more experience with that kind of writing, and apparently isn't so good at writing in the style of the '66 show.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:48 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:22 pm Pfft. Harlan's written some great short stories and some bad ones; everyone has their bad days.

Regarding the comics version of the Two-Face story... remember that Ellison didn't write a full-blown script, just a treatment. Len Wein wrote the script, which is probably why it felt like "a regular Batman comic." Wein has much more experience with that kind of writing, and apparently isn't so good at writing in the style of the '66 show.
Bingo! That's exactly it. Treatment's for teleplay's are an art form in their own right should you wish the script to even vaguely resemble the narrative pitched in a treatment. Wein was not the man for the job in that regard. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
robinboyblunderer

Good point! Perhaps Dozier would've had someone go over Harlan's script to make it more in line with the show.
robinboyblunderer

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Bingo! That's exactly it. Treatment's for teleplay's are an art form in their own right should you wish the script to even vaguely resemble the narrative pitched in a treatment. Wein was not the man for the job in that regard. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
I agree. I think if they'd kept the 'carefully established' mood and tone as you say, the show could've handled the absurdity of the third season, some of the concepts would've been kept but grounded in that first season feel.

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm Bingo! That's exactly it. Treatment's for teleplay's are an art form in their own right should you wish the script to even vaguely resemble the narrative pitched in a treatment. Wein was not the man for the job in that regard. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
Indeed, the '66 comic seldom felt like the show. In the first few issues it sometimes did, albeit the '66 show on an unlimited budget & with CGI at its disposal! But I wasn't getting my Bat-fix from it after a while and dropped the series sometime before it ended.

By the way, Paul and I discussed "The Lost Episode" on Deconstructing Comics:
http://deconstructingcomics.com/?p=4969

One thing we mentioned there was that Wein had Batman driving around in the Batmobile alone, spouting exposition OUT LOUD, which works in a comic but not in a TV show. If Ellison's treatment had been scripted and filmed in the '60s, it definitely wouldn't have been handled that way.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm Bingo! That's exactly it. Treatment's for teleplay's are an art form in their own right should you wish the script to even vaguely resemble the narrative pitched in a treatment. Wein was not the man for the job in that regard. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
By the way, Paul and I discussed "The Lost Episode" on Deconstructing Comics:
http://deconstructingcomics.com/?p=4969

One thing we mentioned there was that Wein had Batman driving around in the Batmobile alone, spouting exposition OUT LOUD, which works in a comic but not in a TV show. If Ellison's treatment had been scripted and filmed in the '60s, it definitely wouldn't have been handled that way.
That's probably an apt analogy to demonstrate the point for sure.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Two-Face is handled in the ROTCC sequel.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
Wow this x1000 Ben! If only they had stuck with Semple's guidelines and heeded his warning about turning the show into a parody of itself.

I hope the ROTCC sequel writers have a gander at Semple's series bible.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 am
It's also worth bearing in mind that the 66 comic run doesn't have the benefit of the hard-line Semple "filter" to reign it back into the confines of season one's carefully establish mood and tone.
Wow this x1000 Ben! If only they had stuck with Semple's guidelines and heeded his warning about turning the show into a parody of itself.

You'd think the Semple scripted "The Penguin’s Nest/The Bird’s Last Jest" would have been a return to form, a last great, post 'first season' episode! Then why isn't it? To me it's average. Ho hum. I wonder why? Prior to this, Murray Golden had directed some fantastic episodes. And the over-blow, everything but the kitchen sink, Chief O'Hara deathtrap was good. Then there's the fabulous Bat-shield! (Holy Guadalcanal Batman!) Had the show just gone too far south by this time? The cheapened production values and hang-dog pacing? The "Lurch" window cameo was about the worst thing you could imagine, but that couldn't have ruined an entire episode. Could it? Why was "Fine Finny Fiends/Batman Makes the Scenes", the last first season episode roughly 100 times better? Meredith's energy level had certainly dropped by this time. And by season 3 he was practically semi-conscious. The episode just doesn't work. I really can't put my (Bill) finger on it.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Progress Pigment wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 am
AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 am

You'd think the Semple scripted "The Penguin’s Nest/The Bird’s Last Jest" would have been a return to form, a last great, post 'first season' episode! Then why isn't it? To me it's average. Ho hum. I wonder why? Prior to this, Murray Golden had directed some fantastic episodes. And the over-blow, everything but the kitchen sink, Chief O'Hara deathtrap was good. Then there's the fabulous Bat-shield! (Holy Guadalcanal Batman!) Had the show just gone too far south by this time? The cheapened production values and hang-dog pacing? The "Lurch" window cameo was about the worst thing you could imagine, but that couldn't have ruined an entire episode. Could it? Why was "Fine Finny Fiends/Batman Makes the Scenes", the last first season episode roughly 100 times better? Meredith's energy level had certainly dropped by this time. And by season 3 he was practically semi-conscious. The episode just doesn't work. I really can't put my (Bill) finger on it.

I would be very intrigued to see a first draft of "The Peguin's Nest/The Bird's Last Jest" and compare it to the final shooting script - Charles Hoffman's input as Script Editor at that point probably hold's the answer to some of the questions you've presented about this episode.