Adam West and Burt Ward want to do more LIVE ACTION Batman and Robin!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Re: Adam West and Burt Ward want to do more LIVE ACTION Batman and Robin!

Post by The Boss »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 pm
But I don't see the rush to jumping ahead to when Batman and Robin are retired, why not savor the Dynamic Duo in action again?

cheers
The rush is because of the age of the actors. They aren't getting and younger. And just because they make a movie when they are older doesn't mean that they can't still make mote añimated films. Heck, I'd even like to see an animated Batman '66 TV series complere with cliffhanger endings.

We've waited a long time for new works with Adam and Burt. I wamt to get as much as possible.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Hollywood caters it's films to 14 year old boys who will go to see a movie (especially a superhero movie) over and over again. There is no way they are going to put a bunch of geriatric actors in a big budget movie unless it's some remake of COCOON.

It was hard enough getting past the aged voices in the cartoon-- this would be an embarrassment that would make RETURN TO THE BATCAVE and LEGENDS OF THE SUPERHEROES look like Shakespearean productions. I agree, it's a four minute late night sketch at best and even then I think it's going to run three minutes too long into the uncomfortable zone.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I completely agree with Andy on all points.. be glad we got ROTCC and a sequel. Live with Adam and Burt will never ever happen!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

You either fall into the camp that more is better no matter if it's bad-- like that old joke about a restaurant-- "the food is terrible but the portions are huge!" as if that's a good thing!

Adam and Burt getting back into costume is not the worst idea I've ever heard, they took care of that when they had Ed McMahon host THE ROAST OF THE SUPERHEROES in 1979-- but it's right up there.

Speaking of which this brings to mind the bad of Batman '66-- from worst to best here's my ranking, feel free to chime in.

1. Roast of the Superheroes -- The pinnacle of bad. Cringeworthy even when I was a nine year old watching this.
2. Legends of the Superheroes -- Almost as bad, but at least there was Hawkman and Green Lantern in live action form.
3. Return of the Caped Crusaders -- sacrilege to some of you hearing that I know-- but a missed opportunity for really great jazzy 60s style music and animation and a story that at least respected viewers over the age of 11.
4. Return to the Batcave-- The parts without Adam and Burt were interesting, and I even liked some of the dopiness of the mostly unfunny A & B skits.
5. Season Three of the Series - Even though some of my favorite episodes are in here, Tut discovering the Batcave, The Surfing Episode, Londinium, Tut Discovering the Batcave again (were there two of them?) it's mostly unwatchable to me.
6. Second Season-- some real gems in here but a step down from the first season.
7. Batman The Movie - I have a soft spot for the Fearsome Foursome taking on the UN.
8. Season One-- the pinnacle of good.

Thoughts?
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 am Speaking of which this brings to mind the bad of Batman '66-- from worst to best here's my ranking, feel free to chime in.

1. Roast of the Superheroes -- The pinnacle of bad. Cringeworthy even when I was a nine year old watching this.
2. Legends of the Superheroes -- Almost as bad, but at least there was Hawkman and Green Lantern in live action form.
3. Return of the Caped Crusaders -- sacrilege to some of you hearing that I know-- but a missed opportunity for really great jazzy 60s style music and animation and a story that at least respected viewers over the age of 11.
4. Return to the Batcave-- The parts without Adam and Burt were interesting, and I even liked some of the dopiness of the mostly unfunny A & B skits.
5. Season Three of the Series - Even though some of my favorite episodes are in here, Tut discovering the Batcave, The Surfing Episode, Londinium, Tut Discovering the Batcave again (were there two of them?) it's mostly unwatchable to me.
6. Second Season-- some real gems in here but a step down from the first season.
7. Batman The Movie - I have a soft spot for the Fearsome Foursome taking on the UN.

Thoughts?
I find it hard to believe that any fan could rank the series (and it's spin offs) with "the worst of it" as it's pinicle. I would think a fan would rank it thinking "the BEST of it". IMO

But to answer your question, you left out the 1977 Filmation series, "The NEW Adventures of Batman".
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 am You either fall into the camp that more is better no matter if it's bad-- like that old joke about a restaurant-- "the food is terrible but the portions are huge!" as if that's a good thing!
That "show must go on" kind of fandom is not uncommon, and in every case, there's no TV series that had the creative fire to go on and on producing quality work. I recall some Get Smart fans wishing the series ran beyond its 5 years, but by the final season, the gimmick had become a stale shell of its early glory--and that's with many of its creative staff still participating. Considering how much Batman had turned into an embarrassing farce by season 3, there's no situation where future Batman productions (under Dozier) would avoid turning into pure garbage
Speaking of which this brings to mind the bad of Batman '66-- from worst to best here's my ranking, feel free to chime in.

Yes--it was terrible. Aside from the idiotic comedy approach, Adam and Burt were trying too hard to play up the increasingly negative, post-first-run misperception of all of 1966 Batman as some preachy, paternalistic sideshow. While it was interesting to see some DC characters adapted for the 1st time, with the Reeve Superman already in theatres at the time, I could not help think that Green Lantern (for one) appeared as cheap as a Hallowen costume. Captain Marvel was the visual standout, with a costume as adequate as the Filmation versions.

...and dropped that aforementioned misperception that '66 was--from start to finish--Batman preaching like a preschool teacher so stiff that Mr. Rogers would seem like a hell-raising radical by comparison. The TV dinner trap was more of the same--almost trying to shove viewer memories of TV dinners (as if that was common to everyone) into the series--something that was never attempted (thankfully) in the actual show.
Sort of a mixed bag for me; I would have loved a less self-aware "making of" movie than what was produced.
Agreed. The guest villains phoned In their performances, except for Buono, while some, like Merman, Berle and Gabor were awful as characters & performers.
Such a hit and miss season: some strong early episodes (2nd Catwoman story, Clock King) and a few memorable episodes toward the end (the Green Hornet crossover, of course, Tut and Catwoman/Pussycat), but the push to turn the series from occasional, secondary humor to in-your-face farce set the series end in motion.
Probably the last, slick effort of the Dozier productions. Adam and Burt as performers (and visually) were the best we would ever see.
Quoted for truth.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

This thread has gone way off topic of the original post and starting to ruffle feathers. I've now deleted no less than three posts and had to issue some formal warnings. Consider this one locked.