Adam West and Burt Ward want to do more LIVE ACTION Batman and Robin!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Adam West and Burt Ward want to do more LIVE ACTION Batman and Robin!

Post by The Boss »

I couldn't believe this when I first read it but, according to this interview with Burt Ward, he and Adam West are pushing Warner Brothers to produce a new live action film starring the two of them as an older Batman and Robin. :o

I don't know if it will happen or not but, Burt seems game for the self parody. Read his pitch here:
http://geektyrant.com/news/adam-west-an ... obin-again
Meule

Re: Adam West and Burt Ward want to do more LIVE ACTION Batman and Robin!

Post by Meule »

I'd love it if they would remake the show, kinda pick up where they ended in the sixties. With Adam as Commissioner Gordon and Burt as Chief O'Hara. Now that would make more sense than an old Batman and Robin. And with two new actors for Batman and Robin who knows whats possible
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Way back in the 80s I wrote a treatment for a parody of "The Dark Knight Returns" (thinking at the time that this dark movement would never go over lol) that would have also served as a reunion of the TV series. After the success of Tim Burton's Batman and the darkening of the character ever since, I threw the old treatment on the back burner and never gave it a second thought until now. If Adam and Burt would truly be interested in putting on the tights again this old treatment would actually be funnier now then it would have back then.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Wouldn't mind a Dark Knight Returns approach with West as Batman, coming out of retirement to clean up his city again. Go with the new Robin angle and let Ward play Grayson, but maybe he'd be Governor or something, retired from tights and short pants. It doesn't have to be grim like DKR, just explore the old Bats coming back in his 60s style against a changed world.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I had in envisioned it like this; Batman and Robin have hung up the tights having permanently eliminated crime from Gotham City. As the years passed Dick Grayson grew up and moved on with his life, Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara likewise also retired from their positions. The world moves on peacefully and the dynamic duo are eventually forgotten.

Then one night a nesting bird accidentally triggers the old Batsignal from atop Gotham City Hall. Bruce Wayne sees it and thinks that there must be a near disaster for them to call him after all of these years. So he slides down the bat pole an suits up and drives off in the Batmobile looking for this crime THAT DOESN'T EXIST! He is spotted by spotted by the public who wonder who is this old costumed guy driving the awesome car (even though we are maling fun of Batman, the Batmobile remains cool as hell)?

Grayson sees the report on the news and of course immediately recognizes Batman. He finds Batman and tries to convince him that this is all a big mistake but, Batman is having none of it. He has missed the crime fighting and has lived with this hole in his life for too long and is determined to find and solve the crime.

Finally Dick decides that the only thing to do to create a crime for Batman to solve. He squeezes back into his tights (which no longer fit) and as Robin gathers the old arch villains (most of whom were still alive when I wrote this) and offers them parole if they co-operate. The villains enact the crime as directed and Batman and Robin subdue them.

Bruce Wayne feels great thinking that he stopped the crime until he sees on the news that the villians are still at large having resumed their evil ways. Dick is forced to confess that the crime Batman thought he solved was a sham.

For just a moment Bruce feels crushed until he realizes that he now has a real crime... and duty calls. TO THE BATPOLES! The Dynamic Duo set out to stop the crime (that they essentially caused lol) and it feels like old times... add in old man jokes along the way.

If they did a live action film today I think this would work great as the old man jokes are even more appropriate after current age. We get plenty of opportunity to laugh but it shows that their Flair for crime fighting is never extinguished.

As far as who would play the villains today, obviously Julie Newmar would reprise her role as Catwoman. Perhaps Joan Collins could return as the Siren. And we need at least one male villain so Batman and Robin will have somebody to punch. As long as he's going to voice him in the animated film perhaps William Shatner could play the live-action Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

No! Googling it, it was apparently a Burt Ward comment. :roll: I doubt if it was serious or if Adam West even knew about it.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/10/11/burt ... man-robin/

15, 20 years ago I could see it. In 1989 West & Ward certainly could have pulled off a reimagined "Batman" based on the series. Better than the Keaton movie if done with style, taste and humor. But today? Adam West is close to 90! And Burt Ward, no kid himself, is at the cusp of morbid obesity. There is no way on earth I could see it work. Them running around in tights? Or even a fake Keaton muscle suit? Now, Leonard Nimoy was quite affecting in the recent revisioning of "Star Trek" as a much older Spock. Adam West is actor enough to pull off something like that if the script was right, and if Bat-Affeck chose to include him. But you & I know he and the WB would never ever do that. Being the best Batman, and having 100 times more live-action screen time as the caped crusader than any actor has or ever will have, should be enough.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm No!... Adam West is close to 90! And Burt Ward, no kid himself, is at the cusp of morbid obesity. There is no way on earth I could see it work. Them running around in tights?
That's exactly why it would be funny. The fact that they SHOULDN'T be doing it yet, in their minds, nothing has changed. It would be the ultimate fish out of the water adventure. Especially if my treatment or something similar was used. Burt indicated that they would be poking fun at themselves when he mentioned that they would show him trying to squeeze back into his tights. :lol:
Now, Leonard Nimoy was quite affecting in the recent revisioning of "Star Trek" as a much older Spock. Adam West is actor enough to pull off something like that if the script was right
It would be very easy to pull off. As I showed above the script would practically write itself given the hilarious absurdity of the situation. And as you mentioned Adam has the ability to pull this off by simply doing what he has always done, play it with over the top seriousness as if the character is completely unaware of what a ridiculously comical predicament he has found himself in. Burt just has to be Burt and speak out to emphasize the jokes, ("Holy Impeded blood circulation!").
Being the best Batman, and having 100 times more live-action screen time as the caped crusader than any actor has or ever will have, should be enough.
But as we saw with Return of the caped Crusaders and the announced upcoming sequel they still have a lot to offer.
z.jpg
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

While it's possible good writing could somehow make a senior citizen Dynamic Duo work, while that's not a 100% impossibility, and assuming Burt wasn't just clowning around, this could be the worst suggestion I've seen regarding the show.

On the heels of a genuine reunion, watching Adam West and Burt Ward as they are now getting dressed up in costume is terrible.

The animated movie got around this by using their voices, even then it took a while to adjust to Adam's voice but that movie was done with enthusiasm; it was like a return to the first season. Batman is capable once more, gone is the idiot of the third season, the butt of the joke.

As for your treatment or suggestion Boss, it's not to my taste. Robin having to fool Batman, the Caped Crusader as the butt of the joke again? Julie Newmar as Catwoman at her age? Sure, she looks great considering but c'mon. Joan Collins? Those days are over, nothing wrong with that. Senior Citizens, old man jokes, people wondering who this old guy in costume is...no thanks.

Again, the cartoon solved this, heck, we're going to get a second one. Maybe even a third, who knows? I'd much rather see them heroic, athletic and doing things beyond the budget of the live action show with a good balance of fun action and humor than seeing them dress up in costume again.

This is just my opinion of course.

But most likely Burt was just having some fun.
robinboyblunderer

Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm No! Googling it, it was apparently a Burt Ward comment. :roll: I doubt if it was serious or if Adam West even knew about it.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/10/11/burt ... man-robin/

15, 20 years ago I could see it. In 1989 West & Ward certainly could have pulled off a reimagined "Batman" based on the series. Better than the Keaton movie if done with style, taste and humor. But today? Adam West is close to 90! And Burt Ward, no kid himself, is at the cusp of morbid obesity. There is no way on earth I could see it work. Them running around in tights? Or even a fake Keaton muscle suit?
I agree! That was probably the last moment in time for them to pull something like this off. While Adam still looks pretty good, sadly Burt does not. His voice does sound as good as it did in the 66 show, though!
robinboyblunderer

The Boss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm
Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm No!... Adam West is close to 90! And Burt Ward, no kid himself, is at the cusp of morbid obesity. There is no way on earth I could see it work. Them running around in tights?
That's exactly why it would be funny. The fact that they SHOULDN'T be doing it yet, in their minds, nothing has changed. It would be the ultimate fish out of the water adventure
The series balanced the camp/wit with the action successfully at first but slowly over time gave it to "comedy." By the third season Batman was often befuddled.

That "...in their minds, nothing has changed" is awful. the dissonance between them thinking they're the same as they were and the reality is much too great. It would be cruel not funny.
robinboyblunderer

The Boss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm Burt just has to be Burt and speak out to emphasize the jokes, ("Holy Impeded blood circulation!").
This sounds like a five minute sketch on a late night variety show; get the obvious jokes in and move along, not a reunion movie.
robinboyblunderer

The Boss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 am I had in envisioned it like this;
Hey Boss,

Even though I didn't care for it, I give you credit for sharing your ideas online.

cheers
robinboyblunderer

The Misadventures of Adam and Burt came pretty close to Burt's suggestion or "suggestion."

With the show's official release seemingly impossible the special was better than nothing as a last hurrah and while it had some bright spots, still wasn't very good in my opinion.

cheers
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:00 pm this could be the worst suggestion I've seen regarding the show.
Not to someone with imagination and creativity.
On the heels of a genuine reunion, watching Adam West and Burt Ward as they are now getting dressed up in costume is terrible.
Only if you lack the ability to envision the series and characters growing.
The animated movie got around this by using their voices, even then it took a while to adjust to Adam's voice but that movie was done with enthusiasm;
A new live-action movie can be done with just as much enthusiasm. Burt Already seems enthusiastic about the idea.
it was like a return to the first season. Batman is capable once more, gone is the idiot of the third season, the butt of the joke.
Batman was always the butt of the jokes. The difference is tha the jokes were affixed to better written adventures in the first season. The same can be true with a new live action movie.
As for your treatment or suggestion Boss, it's not to my taste. Robin having to fool Batman,
Robin doesn't have to fool Batman. He TRIES to fool Batman but in the end they have to team up once again to stop a real crime. [/quote]
the Caped Crusader as the butt of the joke again? Julie Newmar as Catwoman at her age? Sure, she looks great considering but c'mon. Joan Collins?
(groan) The women won't be dressed in the same skin tight/revealing costumes. Give Hollywood designers some credit. The costumes will no doubt be recognixabe but age appropriate.
Those days are over, nothing wrong with that. Senior Citizens, old man jokes, people wondering who this old guy in costume is...no thanks.
Focussing on their age opens the doors to write new jokes and show how they would work around the age issue to still come out on top.
Again, the cartoon solved this, heck, we're going to get a second one. Maybe even a third, who knows?
Nothing has been said about a third. But who's to say that they cand do both? WB is making plenty of other Batman and DC projects as we speak. Live action, animation, CGI, TV. Nothing is limiting them.
I'd much rather see them heroic, athletic and doing things beyond the budget of the live action show with a good balance of fun action and humor than seeing them dress up in costume again.
They will be heroic. Bruce blindly going after a crime despit his age. Dick taking it upon himself to try to stop Batman from making a mistake. Batman admitting his obsession with crime fighting. Dick's use of arch rivals for the good of his best friend. Bruce overcoming heartbreak when he thought he was fooled only to show that he still looks at the bright side before suiting up again and once again heading out to stop the villains thus proving that the flair for crimefighting still burns.

It has comedy, drama, nostalgia, twists and of course plenty of fisticuffs. Everything a movie needs to be successful. What's today's sucks we could have some of the best Batmobile scenes ever created making for even more action. That's the key Batman aws always about his toys and he can use no mattas what his age. The Old Man and fat jokes are just sprinkled in here and there occasional laugh.
This is just my opinion of course.

But most likely Burt was just having some fun.
Perhaps he was BUT, If they're willing to do it We could make a great movie out of it. Who knows? Maybe a sequel will be Batman Beyond with Adam West is the elderly person's still pulling the strings for the back
robinboyblunderer

The Boss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:27 pm
robinboyblunderer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:00 pm this could be the worst suggestion I've seen regarding the show.
Not to someone with imagination and creativity.
Good point, there could always be something worse.

My first point covered a lot of this: "While it's possible good writing could somehow make a senior citizen Dynamic Duo work..."

It's possible just doubtful.

As to the rest, different tastes.

But I don't see the rush to jumping ahead to when Batman and Robin are retired, why not savor the Dynamic Duo in action again?

cheers