Adam West Reads "The Dark Night Returns".

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Adam West Reads "The Dark Night Returns".

Post by The Boss »

It's a very short clip but once again Adam shows that he was more than capable of pulling of the Darker Batman when given scripts that call for it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ211GBe6e0

It was this very clip that makes me want to have DC add Adam's, Burt's, Julie's, Wally's etc. voices to the digital Batman '66 comics.
TBolt

Re: Adam West Reads "The Dark Night Returns".

Post by TBolt »

^^^ I've always wondered if The Dark Night Returns was supposed to be West's Batman 20 or so years later.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think Adam could still pull off a DKR script-- it's a shame they didn't use him instead of Peter Weller for the animated film, even though I thought he did a decent job. The animated film lacked the first person narrative that the graphic novel had, which gave us a chance to see inside Batman's head.

Miller has said that his DKR was a counter to Adam's Batman, but the visual similarities are there-- the short ears on the cowl in a period where long ears was the norm, the belt, the shorter boots, etc. I like to think of it like it's the Adam Batman.

Motion comics were an experiment which included voices and limited animation adaptions of comic stories and they were a commercial failure of epic proportions. I didn't care for them either, but then I don't like Books on Tape-- something about having people read to me is unappealing. The Watchmen one was particularly funny because they had a male voice doing all the parts, and with Dave Gibbons already drawing some slightly masculine women the voice just made it seem like they were cross dressers.

But I'd love to hear Adam voice an older Batman, it would make it less jarring than ROTCC is.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

That was kind of terrifying!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

AndyFish wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm
Motion comics were an experiment which included voices and limited animation adaptions of comic stories and they were a commercial failure of epic proportions. I didn't care for them either, but then I don't like Books on Tape-- something about having people read to me is unappealing.
Being someone who is very curious about the digital comic but has yet to purchase any leaves me feeling that there is a market out there but, the concept has yet to be mastered or perhaps just not marketed correctly.

The hook of having Adam, Burt and Julie (and maybe even Linda Carter if they also use the Batman '66 meets Wonder Woman '77 books) provide the voices could be intriguing enough to get fans to take a look. Plus I think these might do better if several were released on a DVD (in however many volumes are deemed necessary) rather than online as then fans will be able to watch at their own convenience and have several follow up adventures rather than one and done and having to go through the hassle of paying each time you want to view one. Not to mention the advertisement on the back of the DVD which - if done properly - can focus on these being new adventures (not episodes - don't confuse anybody) of the TV series thus making it a must have.

This kind of marketing ploy would definitely get me to buy the DVDs (with the original cast providing voices) over just online comics. I therefore can understand how others would also be encouraged to buy them.
The Watchmen one was particularly funny because they had a male voice doing all the parts, and with Dave Gibbons already drawing some slightly masculine women the voice just made it seem like they were cross dressers.
Agreed. Just choosing one random person to read a book is not all that appealing. It prevents you from fully getting into the story. But a full cast who are actually acting the characters (as opposed to just reading) would no doubt go over better. Especially actors as relatable to their characters as Adam and Burt.
But I'd love to hear Adam voice an older Batman, it would make it less jarring than ROTCC is.
I would too. After they've done all of the '66 series I would like Adam and Burt to go back and voice some older comics. Both Darker and lighter. Obviously The Dark Knight returns should be on the list but also stuff from the 50s through the early 80s when the comic chracter was still a bit campy as well. I would particularly like to see an adventure with Jerry Lewis while he's still with us to voice himself.Image
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Oh man, When Worlds Collide. My favorite live-action Batman reading my favorite comic book version. Awesome!
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”