TO THE BATPOLES podcast #56: "Batman" Jumps the Lizard

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #56: "Batman" Jumps the Lizard

Post by bat-rss »

This time we discuss the Penguin-Marsha team-up three-parter. It has... a hand puppet in it. While this arc is (so far) the furthest the show has wandered from its original Semplian tone, we do find some interesting things to explore in it: Its reflexivity in presenting the making of a film in a film; how the people on screen can’t see anything we can’t see, even that film crew that’s just ten feet away from them; the way this arc is simultaneously moving ever more aggressively away from the normal formula, and giving us things we haven’t seen since Hi Diddle Riddle!

We also get into the background of the Dance of Seven Veils and the “Scene 12” milk bath, and ask the question: if the show is becoming more like a sitcom, does that mean it's MORE or LESS campy?

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/056-bat ... the-lizard
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Mr. Deathtrap

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #56: "Batman" Jumps the Lizard

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens, and podcasters,

As you were pointing out reused sets from this Penguin / Marsha story, I recalled the sub treasury, or at least part of it, was the cell block in which Penguin was imprisoned in “The Penguin’s Nest”. You can tell because of the high, barred window. Or maybe it's the rear window since it's part of the background. Apologies to Alfred Hitchcock, who has a cameo in neither the show nor the podcast, regardless.

Also, this week's Bat musical selection reminded me of William Shatner performing "Mr. Tamborine Man". LOL!

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Mr. Deathtrap wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 pm Citizens, and podcasters,

As you were pointing out reused sets from this Penguin / Marsha story, I recalled the sub treasury, or at least part of it, was the cell block in which Penguin was imprisoned in “The Penguin’s Nest”. You can tell because of the high, barred window.
It was also where Ma Parker was being held and part of the Gotham City Stockyards in the Shame episodes.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Typical of many TV series, sets and props were recycled. How many times did the series use those giant paper mâché clown / Mardi Gras heads? Boxes with question marks on them? Heck, in season two, Chandell's death trap was used by Colonel Gumm, and if i'm not mistaken, the Joker.

[DOZIER]Who's gonna notice![/DOZIER]
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 am Typical of many TV series, sets and props were recycled. How many times did the series use those giant paper mâché clown / Mardi Gras heads? Boxes with question marks on them? Heck, in season two, Chandell's death trap was used by Colonel Gumm, and if i'm not mistaken, the Joker.

[DOZIER]Who's gonna notice![/DOZIER]
The Penguin, actually, in the election episode--which was on just one week after the Chandell episodes. :lol:
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Holy Sausage Fest! Yes to women's thoughts on these podcasts and episodes.

cheers
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Mortimer is awesome. Was he a prop used in some other American TV series of the time?
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Lord Death Man wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 pm Mortimer is awesome. Was he a prop used in some other American TV series of the time?
Mortimer as a puppet is pretty good. I'd just prefer to see him in a different series!

I think you're right to ask where he came from, since, as others have written above, lots of props and sets were reused (especially as the budget increasingly became a concern) -- and some Batman props showed up in later TV shows and movies. So ol' Mort probably showed up elsewhere, but unfortunately I don't know where.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"