TO THE BATPOLES podcast #57: Batman's anniversary... and our own!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #57: Batman's anniversary... and our own!

Post by bat-rss »

We hit the "Batman's Anniversary" arc just as our podcast completes its second year!

After the sitcom hell of the Penguin/Marsha trilogy, the Astin-as-Riddler arc that we disliked as kids suddenly seems pretty decent. But the question mark on the Riddler’s costume is appropriate, given how many questions are raised by this arc:
  • John Astin isn’t necessarily inferior to Frank Gorshin, but how do their performances differ? How might Gorshin have handled this script?
  • Why didn’t Gorshin appear in the 2nd season?
  • How do three intersecting cuts of a pie give one seven pieces?
  • Why was the charity money for Batman’s anniversary put in, of all things, a golden calf?
  • Is sodium dichloride really used to seed clouds?
Also, we look at a couple of new contributions by Nelson Riddle in this arc, the uncredited cast member who had bit parts in several all-time classic films, and much more.

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/057-bat ... nd-our-own
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
AndyFish

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #57: Batman's anniversary... and our own!

Post by AndyFish »

Fitting that the Anniversary episode is discussed on the 30th of March which has been designated as the on sale date of Detective Comics 27 back in 1939-- Batman's debut!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

All kinds of synchronicity here -- it also turns out that March 30 was John Astin's 87th birthday! Ol' Gomez is still kicking -- he even has a Twitter account!

Wish we'd realized all this when we were recording, or at least when I was at the production stage! Oh well...
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

He hasn't tweeted anything since 2011, though. Anyone know what kind of health he's in?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 am He hasn't tweeted anything since 2011, though. Anyone know what kind of health he's in?
According to a Washington Post article from last month, it appears John has recently been in an anti-fracking commerical: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ng-opposi/
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

March 30 was also the 50th anniversary of the second season's last episode, "The Duo Defy" --the conclusion of the Eli Wallach Mr. Freeze arc. It was only downhill from there...
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Hi guys,

A few things jumped out at me as I read the Catwoman script.

First, the guard Catwoman attacks in the teaser is put into a coma. Felix delivers the kitten to Commissiner Gordon, who hands it off to one of the many cops who hang around his office with him and Chief O’Hara. Catwoman disguised herself as a mummy to infiltrate the fair and no fight occurred at that encounter. Batman used the Bat Key rather than the Batbeam to enter the Catlair, which features her office as the center of her HQ instead of the throne room to which we’re accustomed.

Dozier voiceover was added to Batman’s escape from the tiger in part 2 instead of Batmuttering about reversing polarity etc. I love the trap Catwoman set with the mirror. Also, Bruce and Dick returned to the 3 D chess game.

Thanks again and I enjoy listening.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I don't know anything about Well Paid Scientists, the purveyors of this edition's cover of the Batman theme, but I bet they took their names from the Dead Kennedys tune "Well Paid Scientist."
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks everyone!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Astin made the Riddler his own--being as professional and adventurous an actor as anyone ever on the series, so he not only avoided ripping Gorshin, but Gomez Addams as well.

I think the problem for some viewers is that they cannot (or refuse to) separate the Riddler from Gorshin--as if he defined the character to a degree that no one else could take the role. I will go ahead and say if audiences accepted Roger Moore in the wake of Connery (arguably more defining as Bond than Gorshin as Riddler), then they should have warmed up to--or at least give Astin a chance.

The "Birthday" Bat-music is just another reason the series soundtrack needs to be released.
Beneath Wayne Manor
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

One of my favorite moments in the entire series is the surprise party; the only time where there's no villain in the opening and some funny yet sincere sentimentality for Batman; another refreshing break from the formula. Astin's Riddler grew on me over the years, sure he was no Gorshin but I liked the smug craziness he brought to the role. Anna Gramm was a good moll, too. Good thing for Robin, Chief O'Hara was there.

cheers