My 17 1/2" Bat-O-Rang

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

tpitcher

My 17 1/2" Bat-O-Rang

Post by tpitcher »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Huge Batman fan since the mid 60's.

Way back when in the 60's, my Dad got me a black Bat-O-Rang and I still have it. It's in great shape.

It's 17 1/2" in diameter, round ring holding the 6 black wings. In the middle, it has a black hub on one side and white knob on the other side.

Cannot find any pictures of one online...

What do you think it's worth?

Thanks!
John Mack

Re: My 17 1/2" Bat-O-Rang

Post by John Mack »

Hello and welcome to the board. I know that if my dad had gotten me a Batarang, I would consider it priceless. In other words, things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Btw, a photo would be cool to see. ;) Oh, and sorry for being anal here, but the correct spelling is noted above :oops:
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

If it's a round ring with 6 bat wings, I bet "Bat-O-Rang" IS the correct spelling. That description sure doesn't match any Batarang. It sounds more like a Frisbee/Aerobie-style flying toy than anything boomerang-like. It'd be great if OP could post a photo.

Cheers,

Jim
tpitcher

Post by tpitcher »

Hey Guys,

Here's some pics:

Would like to know the value & wondering how many are left in existence...

Thoughts?? Thanks!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I have no idea of its rarity or value, but I've never seen one before, so I'm glad to see the photos. Thanks for sharing them.

It's a very cool remnant of the 1966 boom in bat-toys and other merch, licensed and unlicensed. My only expertise on that subject is having lived through the era as a wide-eyed consumer-in-training, but I'd guess the Bat O Rang was of the unlicensed variety. The bat-lettering in its logo is terrific, and very suggestive of the TV series logo, but just different enough to avoid copyright infringements. :) And since there are no Batman insigniae or illustrations on the toy (or, presumably, its packaging), it wouldn't need a National Comics copyright.

The shape reminds me of "UFO disks"—those helicopter-like spinning rings sent airborne from a hand-held launchers, either by pulling a string or winding up and releasing a spring-loaded spindle (the knob on the Bat O Rang looks like it could have been useful in the wind-up process). But rotors on UFO disks are usually tilted to provide lift, and the scalloped Bat O Rang rotors are "flat." Do you recall if there were ever other pieces to the toy? How did you play with it back in the day?

Cheers,

Jim
tpitcher

Post by tpitcher »

I never really played with it as it was meant, it just hung out in the house.

I did lots of online picture searches and have not fount even one. Nothing on eBay either.

Anyone know who could appraise it? I'd be willing to sell it.

Wonder the value?? May be high??
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Just because its rare won't mean it's valuable. I'm with John that this would hold more sentimental value for me if it were mine. The fact that it's (likely) unlicensed and features no Batman in either word or image will devalue it since it'll mean fewer collectors who are interested in it. While it's in great shape it's lacking packaging which is a big factor for vintage items.

Items like the Ideal Utility Belt have crazy value because there are collectors who had it as a kid, and many others (like myself) who weren't around for the original marketing of it but because it's got great packaging it's something we've become interested in.

This Bat-O-Rang is a neat item, but I'm guessing it's only going to be in the $35-$50 range. I do seem to remember seeing one for sale in a Hakes Auction some years ago.

Gary Sohmers who is known as Wex Rex does pop culture appraisals for Antiques Roadshow, you can reach him through his Northeast Comic Con website with a bit of effort and a google search.

You could also try Bob Bruce (I think that's his name) who does appraisals at shows and on the totally fake and scripted COMIC BOOK MEN. Again google can get his contact info.