TO THE BATPOLES podcast #58: The Impurrrrfect Script

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #58: The Impurrrrfect Script

Post by bat-rss »

TO THE BATPOLES podcast: we discuss a draft script of "The Purrfect Crime" and "Better Luck Next Time"! What do the differences between the draft and the filmed version tell us about the making of Batman '66?

Including observations from listeners, including message-board Bat-mavens!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/058-the ... ect-script
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #58: The Impurrrrfect Script

Post by Scott Sebring »

Wonderful podcast as usual.
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

Yep, another great listen. I don't do Facebook, so I could not leave a comment, but I'm thinking the mirror scene (ultimately deleted) was most likely a lift from "Goldfinger" especially since Horwitz remarked about using more 007 type gimmicks for the Batmobile. In "Goldfinger" Bond is actually on the verge of escaping from Goldfinger's plant before crashing the Aston Martin into a building trying to avoid his own "oncoming" headlights reflected in a large mirror. Served as a sort of "pride goeth before a fall" moment back when Bond was still something of a flesh and blood human before the series drifted into almost a self parody...
Tom
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Slowly making my way through this one, so far it's been an interesting listen. Hopefully more script reviews and comparisons down the road!

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Glad you guys enjoyed it. The script ones are fun to do. Not sure which script to look into next (other than the possible existence of a "previous" Catwoman script). Any suggestions?
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Aha! Can't believe I forgot Goldfinger - but somehow I still think the mirror bit is older (it was also sort-of used in The Cars that Ate Paris in '74).

Wish the original Sandman script would be posted someplace...
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

At 0:1:13:26, one of the guys suggests that perhaps a line anticipated a future gay audience. Highly unlikely for this series (much like most 60s series). The key demographic from a producer's standpoint was assumed to be heterosexual, largely white--not at all thinking of a potential gay audience of any notable size--certainly not in 1966...probably the then-foreseeable future. Producers forecasted about race (i.e. in appealing to a recognized audience) in that manner (well, some producers), since that was one of the dominant social (and political) concerns of the era, hence the casting of non-white actors in key roles, or dealing with related subject matter in 60s TV series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 pm At 0:1:13:26, one of the guys suggests that perhaps a line anticipated a future gay audience. Highly unlikely for this series (much like most 60s series). The key demographic from a producer's standpoint was assumed to be heterosexual, largely white--not at all thinking of a potential gay audience of any notable size--certainly not in 1966...probably the then-foreseeable future. Producers forecasted about race (i.e. in appealing to a recognized audience) in that manner (well, some producers), since that was one of the dominant social (and political) concerns of the era, hence the casting of non-white actors in key roles, or dealing with related subject matter in 60s TV series.
Right -- Paul's speculation. As I think about it, I'm not sure even how much awareness there was. Well, among actors I guess it was always known, since many of them were gay themselves, including Romero and other Bat-villain actors. Among TV programmers, maybe not.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I'd think it was more in the spirit of general campiness rather than an intentional wink toward a specific audience (not that it wasn't appreciated by that audience... ;) )
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."