Batman '66 meets Legion of Super-Heroes new comic

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

SprangFan

Re: Batman '66 meets Legion of Super-Heroes new comic

Post by SprangFan »

Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming, but I love the old-school Legion, so this could be fun. One of the fun touches of that strip was that Brainiac 5 was a big Batman fan, but I'm not sure the Legion ever got to team with him in the Silver or Bronze Ages. Which were the last Ages that counted. :-)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Never read Legion but I'm familiar with it-- this looks like it will be a really fun book.
I love Allred's art too-- I think it's perfect for the 60s feel.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

Excellent news. Just shows Batman '66 still has legs.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Lounge lizard wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am Excellent news. Just shows Batman '66 still has legs.
Except it's B66's last legs. Sadly, word is that this will be it for our heroes in print. For now.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Batfanman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:56 pm
Lounge lizard wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am Excellent news. Just shows Batman '66 still has legs.
Except it's B66's last legs. Sadly, word is that this will be it for our heroes in print. For now.
If that's true, that is truly sad news. I'm so sick of death and despair in the regular titles.
--jthree
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I never really read any of the Legion stuff, so part of me isn't going to be rushing to read this run.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

What would really have been cool is if B'66 met the JSA!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I still can't believe there hasn't been a "Batman '66 Meets Superman '52" or "Batman '66 Meets Superman '78" yet.

Heck, I'd even like to see "Batman '66 Meets Spidey Super Stories" but, I know that, that one is neer impossible.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Legion stories from the mid-60s are pure Silver Age fantasy stuff. In fact, 1966 was the year future Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter became the title's primary writer -- at the ripe age of 14!

Among the innovations Shooter brought to the book was the notion of mortality and its inevitability. One of his most infamous stories was an adventure starring adult versions of the teen-age Legionnaires, set in the near-future of the book's 30th-century "present." A scene in that story depicted a "memorial wall" honoring Legionnaires who died in battle, including one character seen in the Batman '66 crossover and at least one other who hadn't even been introduced in the book yet! That one panel boxed in the book's creators for years to come.

The time-travel/alternate reality plot elements implied by the teaser pages for the Batman '66 crossover fit right in with stories of that era.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

The Boss wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 pm I still can't believe there hasn't been a "Batman '66 Meets Superman '52" or "Batman '66 Meets Superman '78" yet.

Heck, I'd even like to see "Batman '66 Meets Spidey Super Stories" but, I know that, that one is neer impossible.
Ditto!!!!

==jthree
whatever_gong82

Post by whatever_gong82 »

Batman did meet the Legion during the Bronze Age: "Brave and the Bold Vol 1 #179," cover dated October, 1981, but first published on July 23, 1981.