Remembering George Sanders

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr.Freeze

Remembering George Sanders

Post by Mr.Freeze »

45 yrs since he died tomorrow :cry:

Village of damned was a great movie :mrgreen: 8-)
elmrgraham

Re: Remembering George Sanders

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent as the 1st Mr.Freeze.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My favorite Mr. Freeze, maybe my favorite episode overall. The episode had a very James Bondian feeling to it. The use of the heat lamps was so 60's spy feeling to it. I just loved it.
Music. BAT! Music.
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

I agree, he was the best Freeze!
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

I have to wonder something about George Sanders. The story says that his suicide note said "I'm bored." HOW could somebody like that be bored!?
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Gorshin Romero wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 pm I have to wonder something about George Sanders. The story says that his suicide note said "I'm bored." HOW could somebody like that be bored!?
Age had caught up with him. He basically said, "I've seen it all, I've done it all, and frankly I'm bored." Had he been younger and healthier, he'd have gone & on being a scoundrel forever. :D But he was in bad heath. Zsa Zsa in her later years in interviews I saw, she referred to him as the only one she really loved. She said she could forgive him anything.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Pardon the pun, but he offered one of the more chilling examples of a villain.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Sanders--the greatest live action Mr. Freeze. Serious, calculating and a believable menace. He was not the silly cartoon characters as portrayed by Preminger and Wallach.
Beneath Wayne Manor
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 am Sanders--the greatest live action Mr. Freeze. Serious, calculating and a believable menace. He was not the silly cartoon characters as portrayed by Preminger and Wallach.
Truer words were never spoken.
Music. BAT! Music.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I think part of the reason that Sanders' portrayal is the best is because the backstory is also part of the plot. With Preminger, it's just to humiliate Batman, while Eli Wallach's portrayal was more buffroonish--which is related to the fact that comedy had taken over the show by that point.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

I believe he had been depressed for like 30 yrs so it was not something recent.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 am Sanders--the greatest live action Mr. Freeze. Serious, calculating and a believable menace. He was not the silly cartoon characters as portrayed by Preminger and Wallach.
To me it was like Preminger and Wallach played an entirely different character tan Sanders.

Sanders Freeze loathed his current existence Wallach and Preminger seem to enjoy the cold. Sanders liked Gourmet food and drink, one of Preminger's brought him frozen reindeer meat for a midnight snack. The revenge factor was also dialed down . Preminger's attempts to ruin Batman's reputation could be interpreted
as just an effort to get Batman out of the way rather than vengeance.

Sanders was the best.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Indeed it was sad that he ended his life. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Walter Slezak (Clock King) also end his life? Having had two family members commit suicide, I am most sensitive to this subject.

Sanders indeed was the "coolest" (pun intended) Mr. Freeze. As a child watching the series, to me he was the most boring but scary one I suppose. As an adult viewer however, his portrayal and interpretation of the character, which was previously known in the comics as Mr. Zero I believe, was spot on.

One thing that I still don't get though, why did he make like 20 replicas of himself and Batman? What was his goal in doing that? Best thing about Sanders' Mr. Freeze was that device that could turn parts of the room from blue to red, from cold to hot. That was a riot!