TO THE BATPOLES podcast #61: Who is the Green Hornet?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #61: Who is the Green Hornet?

Post by bat-rss »

New episode! This time, as a prelude to discussing the Batman/Green Hornet crossover in our next episode, we discuss Dozier's Green Hornet TV series. We cover the history of the characters of the Green Hornet and Kato, some background on leads Van Williams and Bruce Lee, how the trajectory of this one-season series affected Batman, and more. Featuring guest commentator and guy with a deeper knowledge of the Hornet than we have (and who once interviewed Van Williams), Ken Holtzhouser!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/061-who ... een-hornet
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dr. Shimel

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #61: Who is the Green Hornet?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Regarding the origin of how Greenway Productions came to be named:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 1267036330

The mention of Diana Hyland reminded me that in multiple roles during the 1960's, she seemed to always be playing a mentally ill young woman: Naked City, The Fugitive, Dr. Kildare, to name three.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Listened to The Green Hornet podcast. Interesting. A couple of things: there was a question (or criticism) about criminals not sharing information about being double-crossed by the Green Hornet. In a few of the episodes, some criminals were wary of him and/or his methods, with some not wanting to be involved with him at all, and not just from a "I don't want him strong-arming his way in!" way. Since some of the various criminal groups did not speak of the Hornet with a basic fear of physical violence, one might assume they were aware of his double-crossing, but typical of criminals, their self-interest (read: greed) tossed caution to the winds.

About D.A. Scanlon: his job was offering cover to the heroes (from the police and public complaints for action), yet appear to be actively trying to bring them to justice. The relationship backfired on occasion. In "May the Best Man Lose", Scanlon's position is threatened by a challenger named Calvin Ryland, who uses Scanlon's inability to capture The Green Hornet against him. Pretty realistic, as we know individuals running for office love to use the shortcomings of opponents against them.

Scanlon was a major contrast to Commissioner Gordon, who was content to fawn over two masked guys riding around in an atomic-powered car, while routinely beating down on Chief O'Hara for daring to question Batman & Robin, or being inept as a chief. If O'Hara had the guts, he should have considered getting Gordon booted from his job for so happily handing over the job of enforcing the law to masked men. Heh...that would have been a good idea for an interesting three-parter--certainly better than the Marsha/Penguin or Zodiac Crimes arcs!

Who needs a gold tank or giant clams when you have upheaval in the Gotham City police commissioner's office?!?

I guess The Green Hornet remains in that zone as a gem with the potential to grow, but fell to the cancellation axe. Not a bad place to be, if Dozier seriously considered going in the camp direction.

While there's endless debate about who made the best Batman & Robin on film, I'm guessing no one would argue that Van Williams & Bruce Lee have a firm grip on being the "best" versions of their characters.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:49 am While there's endless debate about who made the best Batman & Robin on film, I'm guessing no one would argue that Van Williams & Bruce Lee have a firm grip on being the "best" versions of their characters.
It certainly beats Seth Rogen and Jay Chou.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I haven't seen the other film versions of the Hornet, but it's hard for me to imagine a pairing of actors I'd like better!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I've never seen the 1940's Universal serial for the Green Hornet, but my guess would be Van and Bruce were more polished at least?
Music. BAT! Music.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Haven't seen it either, but I'd guess the same...