RIP Dina Merrill

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

RIP Dina Merrill

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Another Batman villain/moll is gone: Dina Merrill, who played Calamity Jan during the third season (along with her then-husband Cliff Robertson) has died at the age of 93:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dina- ... 202440974/
elmrgraham

Re: RIP Dina Merrill

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

It is so sad seeing all of our great villians and molls leaving us. 93 is a good life. Add to that list today Roger Moore..James Bond. Thanks to all for the great great memories. May they all rest in peace.
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

One of the last of the "Special Guest Villains" I enjoyed the third season Shame episodes RIP Ms. Merrill
Attachments
dina-merrill-cliff-robertson-batman.jpg
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I know obituaries aren't supposed to be amusing, but reading Ms. Merrill's send-off in The New York Times, I was struck by its observation that most of her acting roles involved characters with backgrounds similar to her own -- socialites, heiresses, philanthropists, etc. The write-up cites several prominent movie roles as examples but, needless to say, skips all mention of Calamity Jan.

Although the gig might have been unconventional for her, I think it's clear even in the publicity still posted above that she and then-husband Cliff Robertson had a lot of fun doing Batman. Those episodes are definitely among the third-season highlights. (I especially like the scenes in which Shame and Jan are trying to get some alone time, away from the watchful eye of Frontier Fanny.) RIP to a sophisticated lady who wasn't afraid to have a laugh in fringe and pigtails.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

Calamity Jan has gone to the last roundup. Rest In Peace Ms. Merrill.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 am I know obituaries aren't supposed to be amusing, but reading Ms. Merrill's send-off in The New York Times, I was struck by its observation that most of her acting roles involved characters with backgrounds similar to her own -- socialites, heiresses, philanthropists, etc. The write-up cites several prominent movie roles as examples but, needless to say, skips all mention of Calamity Jan.

Although the gig might have been unconventional for her, I think it's clear even in the publicity still posted above that she and then-husband Cliff Robertson had a lot of fun doing Batman. Those episodes are definitely among the third-season highlights. (I especially like the scenes in which Shame and Jan are trying to get some alone time, away from the watchful eye of Frontier Fanny.) RIP to a sophisticated lady who wasn't afraid to have a laugh in fringe and pigtails.
Obviously, the chance to work together with her husband of roughly a year or so might have taken away any disdain for the show not being high-brow enough. Considering most of the moll-types were in their mid-20's, the fact that Dina was in her early 40's when the shows were filmed was indicative of how her beauty never went away.

The one obit mentioned that she was considered something of a successor to Grace Kelly, since both were glamorous types who grew up surrounded by wealth. In Dina's case, she got to live to 93, compared to Grace passing away in her early 50's. However, Dina had the misfortune to outlive two of her children.