'49 Serial Filming Locations?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Frenchy1939

'49 Serial Filming Locations?

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Hola!

I just returned from a trip to L.A. and visited Bronson Caves (secret entrance to the BatCave) and Torrance Beach where "Surfs up, Jokers Under" was filmed. I'm disappointed the original buildings look different but I'm pretty sure I found the spot.

Anyway, I didn't have the guts or energy to traverse L.A. Traffic one last time to go to Iverson Movie Ranch where the serials were filmed....next time.

Anybody know where the "Electronic Research Plant" is located? They kept driving past a "Seaside" gas station, too. Anybody been there?

Frenchy1939
AndyFish

Re: '49 Serial Filming Locations?

Post by AndyFish »

I believe it's off of Benedict Canyon Drive.
The house that they used for Hamel's Mansion was the George Lewis Mansion.

A quick check of IMDB backs both of those up, for what it's worth.
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Thanks! We were close!! According to http://www.movielocationsplus.com/LEWIS.HTM the mansion is gone. My son and I hiked from the "BatCave" in Griffith Park to the Hollywood Sign twice. The terrain looked VERY similar to the terrain in the scene where Batman is shocked while holding the crowbar Nolan tried to use on him. I was beginning to think they might have shot some of it in Griffith Park.

Well....next time I am out there, I'll drive along Benedict Canyon Drive to around address 1051 (near Hamill's Mansion) and try to find scenery that looks familiar. (I am becoming obsessed, LOL!...Why the heck do I want to do this???...I MUST!!) The Electronic Research facility looks like an old warehouse or something....it is likely gone but if anybody's got any more info, bring it on!

Re-tracing the Wizard's steps in 1949 is on my bucket list!,
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Frenchy1939 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am I just returned from a trip to L.A. and visited Bronson Caves (secret entrance to the BatCave)
A highlight of my Jan 2012/Jan 2013 trip to LA, after failed attempts and promises by friends to get me to Bronson Canyon in 1984 and 1992.

The 60s Batcave - Gotham City, 14 Miles by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Ian and an Andorian sock monkey at the Batcave by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Ian the tourist at Bronson Canyon by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Hollywood sign, from the back door entrance of the Batcave by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Congrats on making the '66 TV Batman pilgrimage! Bronson is a must!

I still haven't been down to Torrance however. Care to share some photos?
Therin of Andor

Frenchy1939 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am Torrance Beach where "Surfs up, Jokers Under" was filmed.
Look what I just found:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=fl ... an&f=false

And:
"In 2002, Torrance Beach underwent a huge construction makeover. The snack shack was torn down for a new, more modern concession stand. Ramps and stairs providing access to the beach were built and/or upgraded. The parking lots at the top of the bluff were repaved and a new restroom and shower facility was also built."
http://beaches.lacounty.gov/torrance-beach/
Therin of Andor

Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Congratulations on making it to the Bat-Cave! I had to do a little investigating to find out exactly where in Griffith Park it was located. Somebody tagged a photo on Google earth and I figured it out from there. People were filming or doing photo shoots both times I went.

I also think "Surf's Up, Joker's Under" is my favorite Batman episode. It's because of the music. I've said it before...the first few minutes are almost a music video. The lovely Undeen makes it really fun to watch, as well. I am glad I found the beach which took about an hour from my hotel to get to....through about 50 red lights, seriously!! I have a bunch of photos and selfies from Bronson Caves and Torrance Beach that I took with my work phone. (I must transfer them to my PC then upload them to Flickr ...it will take me a while to get to it... But photos are coming)

I'm still seeking info on the location of the "Electronic Reasearch Plant/Facility" from Batman and Robin 1949. I love that serial and know it influenced the TV show. The "X-90 Explosive" sign on the box, Batman pulling a ridiculously big blowtorch out of his utility belt, the smoke pouring out of the vent when they were trapped, etc. I even read somewhere that Adam West wanted Robert Lowery to do a window cameo but he couldn't make it happen for whatever reason. Anybody hear about that? I read that a long time ago...

Congrats again on finding the Bat-Cave!!!
Therin of Andor

Frenchy1939 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:42 pm Congratulations on making it to the Bat-Cave! I had to do a little investigating to find out exactly where in Griffith Park it was located.
I was preparing to go by myself (on foot?) and some friends who live in LA happened to ring me as I was walking down Hollywood Boulevard, and they arrived by car and took me first to Vasquez Rocks (fulfilling a longterm promise) and we came back to the hotel via the Batcave! (Towards the end of my next LA vacation, I did do the long hike up to Griffith Park Observatory. Unfortunately, it was Martin Luthor King Day, and neither the observatory, the gift shop, nor the restaurant were open. Fortunately, there was a public drinking fountain in the car park. Whew!)

Here's the site I used for my online instructions.
http://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/B ... aves.shtml
Therin of Andor

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:51 pm
Frenchy1939 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:42 pm Congratulations on making it to the Bat-Cave! I had to do a little investigating to find out exactly where in Griffith Park it was located.
I was preparing to go by myself (on foot?) and some friends who live in LA happened to ring me as I was walking down Hollywood Boulevard, and they arrived by car and took me first to Vasquez Rocks (fulfilling a longterm promise) and we came back to the hotel via the Batcave! (Towards the end of my vacation, I did do the long hike up to Griffith Park Observatory. Unfortunately, it was Martin Luthor King Day, and neither the observatory, the gift shop, nor the restaurant were open. Fortunately, there was a public drinking fountain in the car park. Whew!)

Here's the site I used for my online instructions.
http://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/B ... aves.shtml
Alternatively, here's a great video guide that Scott put together around ten years ago:
http://www.66batman.com/2008/09/02/bat- ... e-batcave/
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

The L.A. Central Library might have old phone books or business directories from around 1949 that could narrow down the location of the gas station.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

chrisbcritter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 am The L.A. Central Library might have old phone books or business directories from around 1949 that could narrow down the location of the gas station.
That's a darn fine piece of investigative advice! That's on the to do list when I take another trip out there. Finding filming locations would make the trip more fun!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

BatMite

Post by BatMite »

I'll be in LA over the weekend, and the Batcave is on my filming locations list. I'm curious: on the TV show, when the Batmobile peels out of the cave and over the DANGER sign, it directly enters a road. By the looks of the photos, there isn't a road. Is there?