A Revisit To The Bookworm

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

Re: A Revisit To The Bookworm

Post by robinboyblunderer »

LittleLouisGroovy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:46 pm To this day, I find it surprising that Bookworm was a one-shot villain. I wonder if it had more to do with Roddy McDowall's availability than with the character.
As mentioned by others, the Bookworm episodes were especially dark, and a standout moment for me was Batman's rescue of Robin from the bell tower. I felt that Batman seemed genuinely frightened that he might fail to save Robin. Of course, we all know that Robin won't die, but Batman doesn't, and that gave the scene a great deal of suspense.
Good point about the Bookworm! Those are two of my favorite episodes and one of the rare night scenes in the show, I think.

I agree about the rescue of Robin, I think having the time superimposed on it worked well, then there's the payoff off Bookworm, Lydia Limpet and the gang waiting to hear Robin get crushed and his crazed reaction when he fails. I think, again, it's been a while since I watched it.

And yes, you're right that the character had nearly limitless plots with his gimmick.

cheers
robinboyblunderer

riddler123 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:24 pm Bookworm, falseface and black widow all deserved a rematch
I'd have preferred them to recast Black Widow with a much younger actress, but yes, there could've been some good episodes done with these characters, much preferable to Gumm, Lola, Clavicle, Cabalah etc.

cheers
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Barbara Stanwyck taking time off from the Big Valley is my conception of the perfect Black Window (still alluring then even with white hair)
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

epaddon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm Barbara Stanwyck taking time off from the Big Valley is my conception of the perfect Black Window (still alluring then even with white hair)
That would have been awesome! The queen of noir femme fatales playing a Batman villainess! If only it could have been! She would certainly be more threatening, which would work better than Bankhead's over the top camp. Although I think her persona would fit better in season one, and not in the sillier seasons two and three.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm When I think about it now, did any villain ever physically threaten a moll?
Besides Joker's plan to poison Susie with Mexican perfume, he also tried to feed Venus to the giant clam. Tut subjected Nefertiti to his pebble torture and planned to boil Neila in oil after she freed Robin and Lisa Carson.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm When I think about it now, did any villain ever physically threaten a moll?
Besides Joker's plan to poison Susie with Mexican perfume, he also tried to feed Venus to the giant clam. Tut subjected Nefertiti to his pebble torture and planned to boil Neila in oil after she freed Robin and Lisa Carson.
*Joker also put a gun to Baby Jane Towser's head.
robinboyblunderer

Good points! I guess there are quite a number of times after all!

cheers
robinboyblunderer

Dr. Shimel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:32 pm
*Joker also put a gun to Baby Jane Towser's head.
Yes, good point!
cheers
crazedvillain 2

Post by crazedvillain 2 »

I got to thinking that Roddy McDowall would of been a good Alfred. Put a thin mustache on him and he would of resembled the character as he looked in the comics, somewhat, only younger and with a full head of hair. Being younger than Alan Napier, he could of participated more in assisting Batman, getting involved directly in the cases. Maybe give him some talent for makeup disguises, the portrayal being more like the amateur detective Alfred of the comics.