Adam has died

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Therin of Andor

Re: Adam has died

Post by Therin of Andor »

TV Times: Batman and Robin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I had this magazine cover hanging from my bedroom shelf in 1968.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Sad news indeed Citizens. Glad he realized the 66 resurgence of late. A little of our childhood has died, we will miss his distinctive voice, his easy going manner, and just having him being there, he truly will be missed.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Today's "Sydney Morning Herald" online, Australia: "It takes an actor of a certain stature to stand head to toe in Lycra, taking seriously the menace posed by a loose menagerie of ham-acting co-stars dressed as a penguin, a cat, a man with question marks on his underpants and another with an egg for a head." [Michael Idato, TV critic.]

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... wot38.html
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

My first hero. I heard the news on a sports radio talk show, proving how popular and well-liked Adam was.

He was a huge part of my childhood and, strangely, as the TV show became fashionable again, my adulthood as well. There was a good 20 year period (1968-1988) when Adam and the show were negatively recalled. Thankfully, the world came to recognize his genius, and he's now rightfully remembered as a legend. Batman will live forever and, as a result, so will Adam.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Same for me, Adam was a hero for me when I hit my teens. Even my late Dad enjoyed Adam in the show.
A friend of mine who worked with Adam in the Industry told me today that Adam appreciated this website and appreciated all of us who "kept the faith" over the years. R.I.P. Adam. You brought LOTS of us magnificent entertainment over the years!
No "Cheers", not this time
Larry
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

I'm not one to normally do this, but I just joined the forum because I felt the need to share today.

This is just one of those dark days that will never be forgotten, where one just doesn't know what to say.. How can this be? Yes, we all knew Adam was getting older and last year we lost our dear friend, Fred Westbrook, but deep down I honestly believed that since Adam was in such good shape for his age, that we would be blessed with him for at least 5-10 years more.

While there are so many recollections coming to mind, and not knowing what to say, one thing that I recall him saying at a convention was people were coming for a memory, not just an autograph, and I believe he gave us all one. While some have memories of watching him on tv, many of us have been blessed to meet the man. A man who was not just a great actor, not just a very intelligent person with great insight, but someone who would take the extra couple minutes to make a child smile. and someone who cared about us who we could respect.

As a child, I loved Batman. As an adult, I loved Adam West. and I feel grateful and a better person for knowing him and appreciate very much his undeserved kindness. I hope we can all cherish, and keep alive the good memories that he gave us.

RIP Adam :(..you were greatly loved and you will be greatly missed :(
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Thanks To Adam West being the 1966 Batman, myself and many young kids had a Very Happy Childhood.
My love of Batman (1966) was because of Adam. To this day, he is my SUPERHERO! So glad you lived such a good and long life. Hope to see you in the Batcave in the sky one day.
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Goodbye Big Blue Dragon. Of all the things inside the TV box at 5 or 6, you were the one I loved most.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

RIP, old chum.
ripadam.jpg
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

Thank you, Adam West. It's all I can say. It looks like the villain Lou Kemia did what no other villain could do, but I know you are in a wonderful place now. I am a better man and a richer person for having been entertained by you for all these years. Rest in peace.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

This morning I herd news that I was hoping I would not have to hear for many, many years. My Mom's birthday is January 12th; the same date that Batman premiered in 1966 and as it happened it was my Mom who called this morning and told me of the passing of Adam West. It was a lousy way to start a day. My prayers and deepest condolences to his family and friends. He is a true cultural icon and will be remembered for generations to come.

As a relatively new 5 year old, I came upon a new show called Batman in January of 1966. It was like nothing I had ever seen; I was immediately hooked and I've been enjoying it ever since. I remember the day after each episode my friends and I would be talking about the show at school and speculating as to how B&R were going to escape.

About twenty years later a friend of mine was to be performing his magic act at the grand opening of the Indian Hills Shopping Center in Pomona, CA. As luck would have it, Adam West was also there in costume. I stood with the huge crowd of people awaiting his entrance. All of a sudden, there he was; Adam West in person dressed as Batman no more than 3 feet away from me as he walked to the stage. All of a sudden I was hit by a feeling of excitement that instantly brought me back to the age of 5; and going by the reaction from the crowd, I was not alone.

I met him several times over the years since then and he was always the perfect gentleman. Smiling, gracious and genuinely happy to be interacting with the fans. I had the opportunity on two separate occasions to give and send via Wally to him, posters from the movie The Relentless Four and he truly appreciated them.

Goodbye Mr. West and thank you for creating so many wonderful childhood memories. May God welcome you into his heavenly kingdom.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

i also remember ADAM,S Tough decade known as the 70s,,,,being a huge ADAM & BURT fan i would constantly check the T.V GUIDES for shows ,,movies,,,specials,,etc they would be on..there werent that many,,believe me,,,we all know it was a tough time for both,,,as ADAM once quoted " I DO WHATEVER PROJECT COMES ALONG TO PAY THE BILLS" and i know im not alone when i say in 1989 when they ignored him for any part at all in the new version we were disappointed,,,they couldnt accept his version even though without him i for one would never have picked up a BATMAN comic,like many millions other im sure...but what they didnt expect was the resurgance of his BATMAN at this time & it has never wayned since,,,,,so thankfully ADAM did enjoy the comeback {sort of} and was well appreciated & loved we can also be thankful he witnessed the D.V.D. release of the series ,,along with the multitude of BATMAN ADAM WEST merchandise with more on the way i,m sure,,,,,i,m really pleased he outlasted the disappointing 1970s ....{minus his burt reynolds HOOPER movie which i saw 3 times in the theatre}....you beat the odds OLD CHUM you bested HOLLYWOOD they had to finally acknowledge your great acting ability,,,something we your fans always knew !! will miss you ,,, KEVIN ,
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

January 12th, 1966 was my 9th birthday. The first scheduled episode didn't show here until a couple of days later because we didn't have a local ABC affiliate back then. It was shown on Saturdays and Sundays by the NBC station here. Even then as we were crowded around the color TV at my cousin's house it was pre-empted due to something, maybe a ball game- I don't remember. All I do remember is how disappointed we all were. Finally the next weekend we got to see the second episode and I don't think I've ever been more excited in my life! The thrill of being a kid in the 60's and seeing Batman when it was first on TV is something you can't convey. I never got to meet Adam but did get an autographed photo of him through a relative that did and I've had it for almost 30 years now. Got a room full of 66 (and other) Batman stuff that I've picked up along the way. God bless you Adam for all you did for Batman and the kids and adults that love him.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Devastated. :cry: