How Many Characters Died on Batman?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

How Many Characters Died on Batman?

Post by The Boss »

While the characters who were ultimately doomed were few in number there was a small handfull who met their untimely demise in the 60s.

1) Molly: The charming female member of The Riddler's Mole Hill Mob who fell to her death inside of the Atomic Pile in the episode Smack In The Middle.

2&3) Two gangsters accidentally shot each other via machine gun crossfire while hiding inside adjacent sarcophagi as they attempted to knock off The Dynamic Duo (who themselves had just escaped a "death trap" only seconds earlier) in the episode A Death Worse Than Fate.

4-8) The Five Guinea Pigs: Dehydrated, smuggled into the Batcave by Penguin only to be accidently rehydrated with heavy water leaving them in a highly unstable condition resulting in their spontaneous combustion brought on by the slightset impact during the assult on the Batcave in Batman: The Movie. Trivia: One of them was Killed by Batman. So much for Adam's Batman having never killed.

Does anyone know of any more?
cammy85

Re: How Many Characters Died on Batman?

Post by cammy85 »

Did that frozen security guard from Instant Freeze count? He fell and you could hear glass breaking and Princess Sandra's secretary faints.
dell

Post by dell »

The Boss wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm While the characters who were ultimately doomed were few in number there was a small handfull whi met their untimely demise in the 60s.

1) Molly: The charming female member of The Riddler's Mole Hill Mob who fell to her death inside of the Atomic Pile in the episode Smack In The Middle.

2&3) Two gangsters accidentally shot each other via machine gun crossfire while hiding inside adjacent sarcophagi as they attempted to knock off The Dynamic Duo (who themselves had just escaped a "death trap" only seconds earlier) in the episode A Death Worse Than Fate.

4-8) The Five Guinea Pigs: Dehydrated, smuggled into the Batcave by Penguin only to be accidently rehydrated with heavy water leaving them in a highly unstable condition resulting in their spontaneous combustion brought on by the slightset impact during the assult on the Batcave in Batman: The Movie. Trivia: One of them was Killed by Batman. So much for Adam's Batman having never killed.

Does anyone know of any more?
I think you got them all, but I would dispute the idea that Batman killed the rehydrated goon. It certainly wasn't intentional on his part as he had no way of knowing that defending himself by punching the guy would cause him to... well, whatever happened to him. The Penguin is the one who is most liable in this situation as he dehydrated them and messed up the rehydration.
dell
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Also in the movie, one of the goons was launched into the exploding octopus.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Been a while since I've seen it, but in the first (George Sanders) Mr Freeze episodes, weren't some policemen or security guards frozen in ice? Batman and Robin are later thawed and saved from the same situation, but I don't remember the other victims getting that treatment.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Yes , they were frozen...doesn't mean they met their makers though , I'm sure they were de-frosted off screen.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Tom1980 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 am Also in the movie, one of the goons was launched into the exploding octopus.
Good one!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Yes , they were frozen...doesn't mean they met their makers though , I'm sure they were de-frosted off screen.

Well, of course you would say that...Mr Freeze! You nefarious sultan of sub-zero suffering, you.

I suppose you're right, and we just didn't see it because it would've made the cliffhanger a lot less of a nail-biter.

O'HARA: "Commissioner, the Dynamic Duo have been frozen by Mr Freeze?"

GORDON: "Hmmm...? Oh, right. Well, throw them in the defroster like all the others."
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think the guard who was frozen then fell over and smashed very likely didn't get put back together again.
So that puts the death toll for the series (including the film) at...

9?

Molly
Two Gangsters from Zelda
Four Penguin Goons in the film
Goon who rides the Octopus
Guard who gets frozen by George Sanders

9 is not bad considering Batman's first year in Detective Comics he is responsible for 31 deaths.
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Watched Green Ice last night, and a cop got frozen in that as well, which prompts Bruce to warn Dick not to risk his life. The Policeman never gets another mention.

Very disappointed when I first saw Zelda that they got shot and not emerge into a batfight. I believe the comic it was based on had a fight instead?
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:36 amI suppose you're right, and we just didn't see it because it would've made the cliffhanger a lot less of a nail-biter.

O'HARA: "Commissioner, the Dynamic Duo have been frozen by Mr Freeze?"

GORDON: "Hmmm...? Oh, right. Well, throw them in the defroster like all the others."
It actually sounded like Batman and Robin were the first ones to go through that procedure as the doctor didn't know what he was doing. Or maybe they had gone through it, but they needed Batman and Robin back in action right away so they tried this. Kinda like "Super instant" on the Bat dryer.

How weird that the same freeze gun merely incapacitated the Duo before they were placed in the Frosty Freezies Machine in Green Ice.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Didn't Catwoman fall to her death at the end of every episode in which she appears? I think at least Julie's does.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I think the jewelry store guard was probably defrosted.

It was the princess' servant that was frozen pulling the alarm. Freeze burned the alarm cord and he fell and we heard the crashing shattering sound.

The next day at the ball game Princess Sandra comments that she's so glad Batman and Robin are alright and her servant too.

The servant line sounded added on , like they decided nobody should be killed . Maybe the network said something to them.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It's possible that the security guard hit a table or something else on his way down, causing the noise. :lol:

Another could be death: the Gotham City jail guard that gets zapped by the fake pie(?) being brought to the Penguin during his check forgery scheme.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Let's not forget that selfless porpoise... :)