Clint Eastwood as Two-Face?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

elgualterio

Clint Eastwood as Two-Face?

Post by elgualterio »

I have long heard that the series had planned, presumably for the never-made fourth season for NBC, to make an episode with Clint Eastwood as the villian, playing Two-Face.
Obviously it was never made, but bow far along in stages of development had it been planned? Had Clint been informally asked, say? I've heard a little about how this episoe's version of TF's origin differed from the traditional DCU version, with Harvey Two-.Face now a TV anchor deformed by an exploding TV light.
Even if it had been made for a one-episode-weekly fourh season, do you think it might have been a two-part episode? Seems appropriate.
elmrgraham

Re: Clint Eastwood as Two-Face?

Post by elmrgraham »

Seems appropriate.The beautiful Sugar and Spice could have been Two-Face,s henchwomen.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Both rumors have been debunked here in various threads.
Examining the vast paperwork archives of the Dozier estate there is nothing in there about either NBC's offer or any talks with Eastwood-- and there certainly would be since they detailed everything.

Eastwood was already an international movie star by the time of the second season and it's highly unlikely he would have come back to do a TV series, even as a guest star.

The story itself was by Harlan Ellison and its been adapted into comic book form by Jose Garcia Lopez as a "lost adventure" so you can see what might have been if it had been made. The script was a two parter and it was written for (I believe) the 2nd season.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

How about Robert Redford?
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Both Redford and Eastwood had graduated from TV roles by the time Batman debuted. In 1966, Eastwood had more feature films under his belt, but the younger Redford arguably had a higher profile here in the states: Redford's first headline feature, The Chase, came out in '66 -- roughly a year before the U.S. release of the "Fistful of Dollars" trilogy that made Eastwood a bona fide star here.
High C

Post by High C »

Martin Grams, an excellent researcher who has written numerous books on TV shows, says he saw the paperwork for Eastwood:
http://martingrams.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... eries.html

I'm not saying he's definitely 100 percent correct, but he is well-respected. He doesn't say anything about the NBC rumor, and I believe that to be a myth.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

High C wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:27 am Martin Grams, an excellent researcher who has written numerous books on TV shows, says he saw the paperwork for Eastwood...
I'm not saying he's definitely 100 percent correct, but he is well-respected. He doesn't say anything about the NBC rumor, and I believe that to be a myth.
I'm confused. Which bit do you believe to be "myth"? What was the "NBC rumor"? If Grams has seen paperwork citing Eastwood as an actor the production planned to approach(?)/did approach(?), doesn't that confirm the "myth"?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The myth he is talking about is the story that NBC considered picking up the show for a fourth season but by the time the offer came the Batcave set had been destroyed and would have been prohibitively expensive to rebuild.
Therin of Andor

clavierankh wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 pm The myth he is talking about is the story that NBC considered picking up the show for a fourth season but by the time the offer came the Batcave set had been destroyed and would have been prohibitively expensive to rebuild.
Ah. Ok, as far as I knew, the Harlan script wasn't commissioned for a fourth season. Seems to me that if False Face was considered scary in Season 1, Two-Face would be too scary for Season 2.

Re NBC wanting the series, I do think the story is still plausible. The Batgirl character was still quite fresh and there was more that could be explored. On some point of the continuum of truth, as with most Hollywood anecdotes. The show was in ratings difficulties, but that hasn't stopped shows moving networks before.
Therin of Andor

The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 pm Re NBC wanting the series, I do think the story is still plausible. The Batgirl character was still quite fresh and there was more that could be explored. On some point of the continuum of truth, as with most Hollywood anecdotes. The show was in ratings difficulties, but that hasn't stopped shows moving networks before.
I agree. Yvonne Craig herself has stated that NBC was interested in bringing Batman aboard. And the use of Burgess Meredith as Penguin in an episode of The Monkees as a test seems to confirm this.
elgualterio

Post by elgualterio »

...I had the Prestige Format Ellison/Two-Face adaptation one-shot, IIRC it said it was a story sold when the first season was in the planning stages. It did nt involve the " TV anchor/exploding lamp " plot device the Clint story was alleged to have.
Therin of Andor

elgualterio wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 am... with Harvey Two-Face now a TV anchor deformed by an exploding TV light.
Interesting that Wikipedia said, quoting http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/clin ... bio/145220 , "where he was to be reimagined as a news anchor who was disfigured when a television set exploded in his face" and yet the actual quote in that TV Guide only says "set to play the villain Two-Face in the 1960s Batman series, but the show was canceled before filming began..."

So I tweaked it.
Therin of Andor

elgualterio

Post by elgualterio »

...I remembered it as " exploding TV filming lamp " that I had read, perhaps I was wrong.
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

In a January '66 interview, Charles FitzSimons mentioned an exploding TV tube as the cause of Two-Face's disfigurement.

Don't both of the known existing Two-Face treatments (Ellison & Marcus/Rabe) just stick closely to the Two-Face of the comics? FitzSimon's comment makes me wonder if there might have been a third Two-Face story treatment under consideration at Greenway.
jan_66_FitzSimons.jpg
jan_66_FitzSimons.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I think the TV commentator angle was what they were committed to from the outset and they never had any intention of doing the Harvey Dent, D.A. origin tale.