Adam West's Cowl at the Smithsonian

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Burroughs

Adam West's Cowl at the Smithsonian

Post by John Burroughs »

A friend of mine told me that he read somewhere that there is a petition being circulated to have Adam West's Cowl on permanent display at the Smithsonian alongside Fonzie's jacket, Archie Bunkers chair, Superman's cape and Dorothy's Ruby Slippers.

Has anyone heard this? If so, I would like to add my name to the list and help circulate the petition.

Thanks!
Batman65

Re: Adam West's Cowl at the Smithsonian

Post by Batman65 »

I think Adam's cowl is every bit as iconic as Chris Reeve's suit and Fonzie's jacket, maybe even more so. I think it should go in there also. If there is a petition, I'm definitely in!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

How will a petition help if there is not a donor in place?
As far as I know there are a small handful or cowls left and they are all with private collectors.
John Burroughs

Post by John Burroughs »

I don't have any information other than what I heard from a friend and several google searches were fruitless.

From what I understand most of the items on display in the Smithsonian's American history museum are still owned by the people who loan such items for display. If memory serves me correctly the owners are acknowledged on the placards along with the item. Given how faded the original cowls have become a Cowl made by Chuck Williams might be more appropriate for display.

I just loved the idea so much when I heard it that I thought I'd inquire here, the home of the true Batman's true fans. I think it would be a tremendous homage to Adam and Batman, both American icons. Heck I'd even be honored to purchase or donate towards the purchase of a cowl for display
John Burroughs

Post by John Burroughs »

Just to follow up, I have made an inquiry to the Smithsonian and will post their reply here as soon as I receive it.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

A Chuck cowl would be a better choice since it's what most people would expect to see, better crafted the the originals in the first place-- not kissing up to Chuck, but anything made for film or TV is often hastily put together and a lot more flawed than you would think.

I don't think the Smithsonian displays replicas however. I'm not saying it's not a great idea, we have a collector on here who has a full screen worn costume, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to donate it, regardless of the placard or tax advantage.
John Burroughs

Post by John Burroughs »

All good points Andy. You may be correct about them not displaying replicas, but perhaps someone may own a replica Cowl that Adam has verifiably at least tried on, in the event a screen used one is unavailable. I don't know maybe I'm just grasping at straws. I just love the idea.

Not to suck up or anything, but I just checked out your website and would be remiss not to say that you are a truly gifted artist. Ive been writing what I hope to be a personal graphic novel from my bucket list for years and have zero artistic ability, if and when I finally get off my duff to finish it, I'd love to run the concept by you and hopefully have someone of your caliber do the artwork.
dell

Post by dell »

The Smithsonian has Julie Newmar's catsuit on display and one look at it by a true fan is all it takes to know that it is not an original. It is not even a good replica. And if I recall, Scott's wife, Vicki, donated the gloves that they put on display.

Years ago I donated some leaflets from World War II to the National Museum of the U. S. Air Force on behalf of a friend. When I donated them they flat out told me the originals would be archived and reproductions would be made for display. They said that they would use chemicals and sunlight to "age" the copies so that they would look appropriate. I could access the originals any time I wanted by asking to see them in the archives.
dell
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

His estate has one from us worn by Adam for Halloween a couple years back... 8-)
Attachments
adam west halloween 2013.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

And of course Ralph has one!!! :D
Attachments
vlcsnap-2016-03-01-16h01m24s930.jpg
vlcsnap-2016-03-01-16h01m24s930.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Clavier Ankh

Post by Clavier Ankh »

WOW! That Chuck cowl looks AMAZING on West! Shows the true craftsmanship on the piece.

It's been hotly debated among Trek fans that the Smithsonian has/is displaying some props they claim to be originals from the 60's series but are replicas.

Whatever happens, a 60's cowl is iconic enough for a place in the museum.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

The Smithsonian allows for quite a bit of latitude in terms of authenticity. For example, almost NONE of the Muppets in their collection were ever really screen used. Most were "posers" - not functional puppets at all, but rather posable dummies created for using in publicity photos. As for the Catwoman costume, I seem to recall that it is widely acknowledged that it is not a screen used costume, but something Julie wore much later for publicity appearances or photos. The fact that Julie did wear it at all is sufficient for the Smithsonian.

So, yeah, the cowl Chuck crafted in the hands of Adam's estate, or Ralph's cowl - as they have both actually been worn by Adam - would more than qualify as authentic. And, yes, definitely, I think should be there!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
John Burroughs

Post by John Burroughs »

I just received this reply from the Smithsonian:

"Dear Mr. Burroughs,

Thank you for your inquiry. I've been in touch with the National Museum of American History and there is an interest in exploring the possibility of acquiring this artifact. I'm copying ..... the Chair of the division of culture and the arts at the Museum so you can pursue this possibility directly with her."

As soon as I hear from the Chair, I would like to lateral this off to someone better equipped here to help facilitate communication with Adam's family or other potential donors. If someone could PM contact information I could convey to the Smithsonian I would greatly appreciate it!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for the kind words, John. Be happy to talk.
I think a Chuck cowl worn by Adam however briefly, would certainly be a winner and I'd be all for it.
There are several members here who have connections to Adam's family, I'm sure one of them could reach out, maybe in a few more weeks to give them some time to grieve.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7wry1TPb4g

Sounds like Adam had some of the suits. Found this on You Tibe this morning. Maybe some of you saw this already.