Missed Opportunities?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Missed Opportunities?

Post by The Boss »

Watching the episode, "The Devil's Fingers" I noticed a missed opportunity for a good joke and I thought a thread for similar missed opportuniies.

The one I noticed was during the Bat-fight where Batman caught and dipped the harem girl. I was picturing Robin taking a punch in the background at the same time resulting in a big "SMACK!" onomatopoeia covering the action which would leave people asking, "Did Batman just kiss her?" without us ever knowing the answer.

Who else has any good joke opportunities that were missed?
Therin of Andor

Re: Missed Opportunities?

Post by Therin of Andor »

The obvious character to have confronted Barbara Gordon at the public library was... the Bookworm!

Bookworm and Batgirl by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Penguin teaming up with Mr. Freeze since penguins love the cold. Would have seemed a natural fit. Not sure what kind of chemistry Burgess' Penguin would have had with George Sanders' Mr. Freeze, but Preminger's or Wallach's Mr. Freeze I think could have worked well with Pengy.

Best one though was noted above, Bookworm with Barbara Gordon. Most definitely!
Therin of Andor

BatmanFan102 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:27 pm Penguin teaming up with Mr. Freeze since penguins love the cold.
Indeed.

It might have also been fun teaming up some female characters, say Marsha with Nora Clavicle?

I loved this sneaky Minerva and Sandman cameo at the end of an early "Batman '66" comic...

Minerva and Sandman cameos by Ian McLean, on Flickr
From digital comic issue # 6. This comic also featured the same "The End???" as the final ep. of the TV show, where the caption was placed over Minerva's bottom. The best part of this visual gag: these actors, Michael Rennie and Zsa Zsa Gabor, twice played opposite each other, in "The Great Impersonation" and "A Man of Taste", episodes of the 1950s TV series, "Climax!"
Therin of Andor

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

^The Penguin and Preminger's Freeze team up in those very comics! They create an iceberg and get it declared as a new country by the U.N. (as opposed to the United World Organization). I won't spoil the rest, but "Emperor Penguin" is basically in charge and Mr Freeze is almost his henchman.
- Boy Genius
Therin of Andor

^ "Emperor Penguin". So good!
Therin of Andor

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Therin of Andor wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 pm ^ "Emperor Penguin". So good!
:D Here's a screenshot!
Emperor Penguin
Emperor Penguin
- Boy Genius
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Although we several times see Catwoman in prison, I deeply regret that Julie Newmar never wore prison uniform in the series (Shelley Winters and her brood all wear prison uniform in 'Ma Parker' but not Newmar in her Catwoman cameo).

It would have been fun to see Newmar wearing the snug-fitting striped pants suit Anne Baxter most fetchingly models at the conclusion of 'A Death Worse Than Fate' (Doe, Rae & Mimi are all also in prison uniform at the end of 'The Dead Ringers'); and more importantly would have provided a graphic visual reminder of the high stakes The Catwoman is playing for and the indignity she stands to be subjected to when defeated by The Caped Crusader at the end of each story and packed off to the slammer.
Attachments
Zelda in the Slammer 131.jpg
Doe, Rae & Mimi-120.jpg