Would William Dozier's Wonder Woman Have Worked On An Episode Of Batman?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Would William Dozier's Wonder Woman Have Worked On An Episode Of Batman?

Post by The Boss »

We've all seen it. The 5 minute Wonder Woman pilot film produced by Batman producer William Dozier. While most of us are thankful that it did not get picked up as a series I've often wondered if the character (as presented in the pilot) could have worked in an episode of Batman much like the Green Hornet did.

Even though the pilot is only five minutes long I've often felt that the character was too bland (that might not be the right word) to sustain a series but had just enough color and life to be able to work out an apearance on Batman.

I especially like the pre-Batgirl rotating wall for instant change. IMO it's the perfect counter to the Batpoles. Also the nagging mother (the complete opposite of Alfred) who thinks that her cooking is what gives Wonder Woman her powers. :lol:

No way could a series have worked but, as a one shot on an episode of Batman we might have had something.
Dan E Kool

Re: Would William Dozier's Wonder Woman Have Worked On An Episode Of Batman?

Post by Dan E Kool »

Beyond the Dynamic Duo and the guest villain, the set starts to get crowded. There's just not enough time to explain why the guest hero is there on top of exploring whatever crime is being pulled. And then if you throw Batgirl into the mix... fuggetabowtet!

Other than that, the Batman TV series generally avoids real magic or super powers - and for good reason. It grounds the characters and their methods in a sort of reality. That reality is obviously not our own, but it's close enough on the surface that when something ridiculous happens, it becomes funny. The only times the show broke that rule was Joker's time box and Catwoman's voice box (as far as I can remember).

But, that's what the '66 comics are for! ;)
- Boy Genius
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

So I went back and watched the test footage on YouTube again and have come to the conclusion that not only would Dozier's WW not work in a cross-over episode of Batman, it wouldn't work as anything, ever. Absolutely terrible.

How often do you figure they were going to have Wonder Woman make eyes at herself in the mirror? Every other episode, or more frequently than that? :x
- Boy Genius
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 am So I went back and watched the test footage on YouTube again and have come to the conclusion that not only would Dozier's WW not work in a cross-over episode of Batman, it wouldn't work as anything, ever. Absolutely terrible.
Oh, I can think of one thing that it could be (well, could have been) used for. A new episode of the Batman TV series. Amongst the many ideas I had planned was to take the Batman footage from abc's 7 Nights to Remember and replace the rest of the footage with screen tests Williams Dozier productions as if that was what they were watching. I would have used the Wonder Woman screen test, the Green Hornet screen test and - since they mention their own show - the Batman screen test (the Lyle Waggoner version so to protect their secret identity). I would even incorporate a bit of the Dick Tracy pilot to help fill it out. All the while cutting back to the original 7 Nights footage as they talk about what they have seen. Finally, to help connect all of the footage seemlessly I would have created new over he shoulder scenes from behind of the Dynamic Duo watching the TV as each test was about to start where I had hoped to have Adam and Burt record a couple of quick lines to ensure that the new scenes were still them.
How often do you figure they were going to have Wonder Woman make eyes at herself in the mirror? Every other episode, or more frequently than that? :x
Good Question. If it was me, I wouldn't have her make eyes at herself all of the time but, use it in the opening credits to explain her narcissism and then cleaverly incorporate it into the scripts. Like holding up dresses in front of herself in a mirror while her mother is arguing with her only to suddenly realize a clue in the crime. Maybe she gets a chance to fight in front of a mirror and watch the other woman's image. Or if she was chasing somebody and crosses a mirror, the other girls image could run across and Wonder Woman leans back onto the screen to take a quick peak. Something different every episode and hopefully quick so that the running gag doesn't go stale.

Maybe the mirror wouldn't even play a major part. Perhaps it would only be used to re-establish her narcissism from time to time but the real running gag was that she conciders herself God's gift to men and always offers the men she saved a kiss with one of those nasty wide eyed puckers we saw in the pilot. The men are greatful to her for saving them but..."Yuck!" :lol: and THAT's why she never lands a man.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The Boss wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 am
Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 am So I went back and watched the test footage on YouTube again and have come to the conclusion that not only would Dozier's WW not work in a cross-over episode of Batman, it wouldn't work as anything, ever. Absolutely terrible.
Oh, I can think of one thing that it could be (well, could have been) used for. A new episode of the Batman TV series. Amongst the many ideas I had planned was to take the Batman footage from abc's 7 Nights to Remember and replace the rest of the footage with screen tests Williams Dozier productions as if that was what they were watching. I would have used the Wonder Woman screen test, the Green Hornet screen test and - since they mention their own show - the Batman screen test (the Lyle Waggoner version so to protect their secret identity). I would even incorporate a bit of the Dick Tracy pilot to help fill it out. All the while cutting back to the original 7 Nights footage as they talk about what they have seen. Finally, to help connect all of the footage seemlessly I would have created new over he shoulder scenes from behind of the Dynamic Duo watching the TV as each test was about to start where I had hoped to have Adam and Burt record a couple of quick lines to ensure that the new scenes were still them.
That would likely be about as memorable as when they slapped together a couple of John Lennon tunes in the mid-90's and manufactured two mediocre "Beatles" songs. If you have to start crafting a show out of bits and pieces, it's likely better left alone.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm That would likely be about as memorable as when they slapped together a couple of John Lennon tunes in the mid-90's and manufactured two mediocre "Beatles" songs. If you have to start crafting a show out of bits and pieces, it's likely better left alone.
Well said. A TV production with a reason to exist & a coherent script is not the product of slapping together random, obviously unrelated productions with different tones, production values, intent, etc. The only Dozier shows that were ever able to crossover was the one produced. The Wonder Woman pilot was absolute garbage catering to the worst of Dozier's creative decline in favor of gimmicks, where there was no action/adventure with subtle, humorous moments (Batman season one), but flat out mocking of the source material. Dick Tracy was as interesting as watching a piece of wood bake in the summer sun, and it too was of an inferior quality to (the best of) Batman.
Beneath Wayne Manor
dell

Post by dell »

I had never seen that clip before; and I will never watch it again. That was truly dreadful; it belongs in the trash. And why did they use a double for the mirror reflection? Ugh!
dell
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm That would likely be about as memorable as when they slapped together a couple of John Lennon tunes in the mid-90's and manufactured two mediocre "Beatles" songs. If you have to start crafting a show out of bits and pieces, it's likely better left alone.
Your opinion only. But, I respect that. Those of us however who actually appreciate the work of artists such as Adam West, Burt Ward, Van Willams, Bruce Lee, The Beatles etc. would like to see a better format to showcase the artists lesser know work so that more of their fans can enjoy it without having to rely on luck of stumbling across it on YouTube before it gets taken down either by the copywrite holder or the person who originally uploaded it.

Again, I respect your opinion as you are entitled to it. I guess I am just a bigger Adam West/Batman fan than most.

BTW, those "mediocre" Beatles songs as you called them were both top 40 hits. "Free as a Bird" even broke the top 10. Not to mention that the production and release of the songs received world wide coverage. Not bad for "mediocre" songs by the most popular band of all time.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

dell wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pmAnd why did they use a double for the mirror reflection?
Good. We're back on topic. The double in the mirror image was to show how Wonder Woman sees herself as a beauty queen even though she is not. She might be all powerful but, like all good superheroes she has a flaw. Not because she is not beautiful. She's not ugly at all but, she's no where near as pretty as she thinks she is. She's just a plain Jane. Her actual flaw is her narcissism. That's what the whole mirror routine was trying to get across in the pilot. Had he produced an entire half-hour pilot as he did with Dick Tracy instead of this 5 minute clip we likely would have gotten a more obvious view of what he was going for.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Here is the Wonder Woman test footage, in case others haven't seen it and wish to subject themselves to torture :x :
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/-tKZJVhn7M4[/YouTube]

And this is the commercial Boss is talking about:
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/EUO8kd8p86U[/YouTube]
- Boy Genius
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

The Boss wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 am Oh, I can think of one thing that it could be (well, could have been) used for. A new episode of the Batman TV series. Amongst the many ideas I had planned was to take the Batman footage from abc's 7 Nights to Remember and replace the rest of the footage with screen tests Williams Dozier productions as if that was what they were watching.
That's a clever idea, Boss, but I doubt if even Batman can save this Wonder Woman clip from itself. Some things are just unsalvageable.
dell wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm And why did they use a double for the mirror reflection? Ugh!
I felt the same way. I get the joke they were going for, but I can only laugh at how cringey it is, not the intended humor. Considering Dozier disliked the term 'camp', he sure was good at producing it! :x
- Boy Genius
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

The Wonder Woman Pilot was a disaster.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Last night after work I made a couple of posts on here. Upon re-reading them I noticed that one thing in particular did not come across as intended. I stated that those of us who actually appreciate the work of Adam West and other artists enjoy when new vehicles are created to shiwcase their lesser known work. While that statement is true I didn't mean for it to sound like anyone here is not a true Adam West fan. I know that we all love Adam on this board. What I meant is that some of us are fans of more than just the finished product. We enjoy the artists' work/performances so much that we want to see it all.

Even though no one has said anything about it I still wanted to clearify in the event that someone may eventually read it and misunderstand. As I said, it was quite late and I was tired when I made the post. My apologies if I upset anyone.