TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

whatever_gong82

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

Post by whatever_gong82 »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm
Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 am Wallach is probably my least favorite Freeze, but this scene is worth whatever poor plot and bad accent I have to put up with to see it:
Thanks for posting that. One of Adam West's best performances! Hilarious. I don't remember much else from this episode except Glacia in her skating costume, the seal and Robin getting pummeled in the first fight scene. I also disliked the death trap. Overall I enjoyed Preminger's Freeze episodes but the character was never a favorite of mine.

cheers
I agree that Mr. Freeze was a dull character, only interesting in the first two part episode starring George Sanders. Thankfully, Mr. Freeze would be rebooted and given some proper pathos and motivation when Paul Dini wrote the Emmy winning "Heart Of Ice" for Batman: The Animated Series a little over 2 decades later.

To me, that is the default characterization of Mr. Freeze.
bat-rss

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

Post by bat-rss »

Definitely agree that the character of Freeze was toothless by this point. Except for the scientifically suspect death trap, nobody in this arc seems in danger of being exposed to a temperature that could kill them, where, in season one, everybody was, including Freeze. Yes, production/cost issues nullified the threats to both the Duo and Freeze, but also, I think they could only do it so many times. If they'd kept those threats, season two Freeze might have just recycled the same plot points as season one Freeze.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"