TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

Post by bat-rss »

Though it's not the fault of Eli Wallach, his turn as Mr. Freeze ends the second season on a weak note. Of course, there are a few strong points, such as Batman's phone chat with Bruce Wayne, and yet another perfect Gotham City Police slogan from Commissioner Gordon. We discuss how Wallach ended up in the role, the reasons this arc doesn't pass the English Major test (including the reference to Rabelais), the over-dependence on stock footage, Robin's difficulties this time around, and more.

Plus: The Tallulah Bankhead/George Raft connection, and your mail!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/067-ice ... zen-turkey
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Lord Death Man

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #67: "Ice Spy": Frozen turkey

Post by Lord Death Man »

The 8-Bit 'Famicon' version of the Batman theme is the best yet :)

And by the way, where was the 'I liked what Mortimer did' line when you did the Marsha episode? ;)
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Yet again I find myself with a chunk of podcast episodes to catch up on in order to get to this most recent one, but regardless - huge congratulations Tim and Paul for making it to the end of another (not mention the longest) season of the show!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 amhuge congratulations Tim and Paul for making it to the end of another (not mention the longest) season of the show!
I would echo this. I have been a listener since the very first episode and support it on Patreon. It is by far my favorite English language podcast both for the in-depth research they do (both for trivia and deeper matters) and the wonderful, warm chemistry between the two brothers :)
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I should have known my name would be used as a cheap Mr Freeze pun... :x
- Boy Genius
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Wallach is probably my least favorite Freeze, but this scene is worth whatever poor plot and bad accent I have to put up with to see it:

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/tgCkmUS1IYI[/YouTube]

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

And where else but this Podcast will I learn about Tallulah Bankhead's, er, medical issues and the definition of Wellerism all in the same discussion? Another great episode, Tim! Looking forward to the Season 2 roundup.
- Boy Genius
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Not a good way to end a season, and the series' final Freeze is the worst. Of course, Wallach and Preminger were poor replacements for the serious, sinister George Sanders performance. I guess its no surprise that every surviving season one villain suffered from inferior performances / scripts from season two forward. No one--not Romero, Meredith, Gorshin, Newmar, Wayne or Buono were able to rise to their early, "Mount Rushmore Plus" of villain adaptation performances beyond that first year.

The final season two arc was only memorable for its reference to Barbara Gordon (ohhh, but first run audiences had no idea what they in for when September 1967 dropped like a car from a high rise), and the continued dumbing down of Robin. During the run of Dozier series, endless DC Comics fans were in full-on hate mode of the series, with the mishandling of characters like Robin being one of the oft-mention issues (when one compares him to his DC counterpart of the period). Ward still delivered the best adapted version of the character (live action or animated), but writers kicked him down to "Make Robin dumb to make Batman appear brilliant" mode not long into the 1st quarter of season two.

About Elisha Cook, Jr--yes, as you guys mention, he was in Rosemary's Baby, a film with a small cameo from Wende Wagner aka The Green Hornet's Lenore "Casey" Case.

I think most people missed the point of the final act's toy slot-car scene: it was about the entire Wayne Manor gang enjoying some family time together (probably the last time we would ever see them in such a scene) and then-upcoming publicity. Never one to miss a chance to sell the series, Greenway/Fox had this slot-car scene covered by Model Car & Track, published in the July 1967 issue:

Although the Batmobile slot car (above) was not used in the episode, slot car racing was incredibly popular in this period, so it was only natural that versions of the Batmobile (and Black Beauty) were produced.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Just after the beginning of a lengthy article (link below) on this phenomenon, comes this item (note the years mentioned):

"The Boom Years of slot car racing lasted barely two years from 1966-1968, and was never to approach that level of popularity again."

http://www.slotcarhistory.com/slot_car_history5.htm
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben and Death Man -- thanks for the kind words. But, well, I wouldn't say we liked what Mortimer did!

Dan -- hey, those Mr. Freeze jokes are expensive!

Hornet -- Excellent information on the slot car tie-in! Thanks! (It appears that those slot cars were having a "bash pow fight" on the track!)
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 am Just after the beginning of a lengthy article (link below) on this phenomenon, comes this item (note the years mentioned):

"The Boom Years of slot car racing lasted barely two years from 1966-1968, and was never to approach that level of popularity again."

http://www.slotcarhistory.com/slot_car_history5.htm
Interesting alignment of fads!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

My husband says he recalls a couple of stores being made into elaborate 'slot car parlors' while the show was on the air. He says they disapoeared pretty fast, largely due to the business model. One beautiful, elaborate track with room for six cars. He and his Aurora Batmobile slot could never get a shot, people would not give up their spot on the track. And even if all six slots were always occupied the fees from just that did not cover overhead much less make a profit.
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm Dan -- hey, those Mr. Freeze jokes are expensive!
8-) They're definitely better than the alternative. My name is often mispronounced with a short U as "Cull."
- Boy Genius
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I've made the point before that the virtually inhuman pace of production over the first two seasons inevitably was a factor in the quality decline. They made the pilot in October 1965, then began production roughly two months later. So over a 15-month span (give or take a month), there were 94 half-hour episodes AND a full-length feature film produced. Shows produced now are lucky if they're made at one-third the pace--without a movie also being made.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

You mention the Freeze Gun being a shadow of itself. Mister Freeze was really a shadow of the original character.

In the first episode Batman test an anti freez pill in a freezing chamber because he may have to face Freeze in his fifty below zero environment. The pill onl protects him to zero. In the end he uses thermal underwear but we get the impression the protection is only temporary.

In subsequent arcs Mr. Freeze has a Freeze collar and we don't have to worry about facing him in a fifty below zero environment. I'm sure this was for production reasons. You mentioned the problems with the helmet and I'm sure the red and blue hideout effect was expensive.

As for Wallach's accent. Sanders used his own accent, though possibly exaggerated and Premminger's accent was real but Wallach's accent was noticeably fake.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 am Wallach is probably my least favorite Freeze, but this scene is worth whatever poor plot and bad accent I have to put up with to see it:
Thanks for posting that. One of Adam West's best performances! Hilarious. I don't remember much else from this episode except Glacia in her skating costume, the seal and Robin getting pummeled in the first fight scene. I also disliked the death trap. Overall I enjoyed Preminger's Freeze episodes but the character was never a favorite of mine.

cheers