Would This Be An Appropriate Bonus For Batman vs Two Face?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

The Boss

Would This Be An Appropriate Bonus For Batman vs Two Face?

Post by The Boss »

I doubt that there would be enough time but I was just thinking how awesome it would be if the DVD came with a bonus film, a special edition of the episode, "The Fear" from the last season of The Super Friends. In this version however Burt Ward would redub all of Robin/Sick Greyson's lines. Since the animation was.limited the mouth can easily be re-animated to match the timing of Burt's delivery. Maybe even a new (non Super Friends) intro and outro to make this version unique.

Obviously in all Super Friends airings/releases the original version would be used but, I would like to see this special version as bonus Batman adventure with Adam and Burt. The Fear IMO was a fantastic episode and would be even better with both Adam and Burt. Any opinions?
Dan E Kool

Re: Would This Be An Appropriate Bonus For Batman vs Two Face?

Post by Dan E Kool »

You mean, dub over Casey Kasem??

I understand the reasoning, but isn't that kind of rewriting history a little? Burt Ward's already in this new movie. Let Shaggy keep the 'Robin' role that he did the voice work for.
- Boy Genius
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I have to agree with Dan E Kool on this. I'm generally against retroactive tampering with historic works. That episode is what it is. If you're going to "improve" it by re-dubbing Dick Grayson's lines, then why not keep going and replace the weak animation of that era?

Then there's the marketing angle. Conceptually, there's nothing to link a Scarecrow-centric episode of a show about (essentially) the Justice League to a brand new movie about Two-Face set in the '66 Batman universe. I guess you could pitch it as "Adam and Burt...together one last time" but that wouldn't really be true, either, in the strictest sense.

Burt worked opposite Dick Gautier in the cowl, Adam worked without Burt on Super-Friends. Sometimes the only thing interesting about the "out of canon" material is the novelty of mixing things up a bit. I say leave it alone.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am You mean, dub over Casey Kasem??

I understand the reasoning, but isn't that kind of rewriting history a little? Burt Ward's already in this new movie. Let Shaggy keep the 'Robin' role that he did the voice work for.
As I said, the original version would still be shown in all airings/releases of The Super Friends. So it wouldn't really be changing history. This would be a stand alone bonus. That's why I also suggested creating a new intro and outro that is not Super Friends related.
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

I don't mind the idea of re-dubbing in this instance as you wouldn't be re-writing history. The original would still be easily available (unlike the non-tampered Star Wars movies). More than anything though, I don't see the point.

The Fear, while being a great episode has no connection to Batman Vs. Two-Face other than Adam voicing Batman himself. Including an episode from The New Adventures of Batman would make more sense (shame Two-Face didn't appear) as you'd get Adam and Burt together.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Pop singer, Tiffany, did the voice of Judy Jetson in "Jetsons: The Movie". I was disappointed it wasn't Janet Waldo. Then I heard that Janet Waldo had taped all of Judy's lines... and that they had replaced her with Tiffany.

BTW, seen this?

Batman vs Two-Face by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

The Boss wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am As I said, the original version would still be shown in all airings/releases of The Super Friends. So it wouldn't really be changing history. This would be a stand alone bonus. That's why I also suggested creating a new intro and outro that is not Super Friends related.
Yeah, I mean, I love bonus content as much as the next guy, and the idea is neat because you (sort of) bring Adam and Burt together again... But you don't, really. I suspect this movie is going to be pretty awesome. I say we leave "Two-Face" as their final performance together and appreciate it as such.
- Boy Genius
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:10 am
The Boss wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am As I said, the original version would still be shown in all airings/releases of The Super Friends. So it wouldn't really be changing history. This would be a stand alone bonus. That's why I also suggested creating a new intro and outro that is not Super Friends related.
...I say we leave "Two-Face" as their final performance together and appreciate it as such.
BINGO!

There is zero incentive to do this as a studio and even as a fanboy, i'm utterly apathetic to the idea on the simple grounds that the thing that was truly great about Adam and Burt's performances in those roles was their chemistry together and that simply would not be there.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

But.... they weren't together during any of their animated adventures. In animation the voices are almost always recorded seperately. So what would be the differance?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm with Dan, Ben and Sprang-- re-doing projects is the worst kind of creative tweaking there is, especially when there's no reason for it, I'm looking at you George Lucas.

PS- LOVE the Scooby Gif. Don't mess with Casey.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Sorry, but this is simply a terrible idea no matter how one tries to rationalize it.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:21 am Don't mess with Casey.
8-) Right on.
- Boy Genius
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:30 am There is zero incentive to do this as a studio and even as a fanboy, i'm utterly apathetic to the idea on the simple grounds that the thing that was truly great about Adam and Burt's performances in those roles was their chemistry together and that simply would not be there.
Well said. Slapping performances together is not the actors actually working together, with the personal relationship and rhythm developed on the original series and off set. It would be some glued-up mess just to say "its Adam and Burt", but there would be nothing genuine about it, or desired by (I'm guessing) most of the 1966 Batman fanbase.

We already have a wealth of Adam/Burt performances together without trying to force what would be a wrongheaded "together again" attempt to resurrect the TV series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 am
Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:30 am There is zero incentive to do this as a studio and even as a fanboy, i'm utterly apathetic to the idea on the simple grounds that the thing that was truly great about Adam and Burt's performances in those roles was their chemistry together and that simply would not be there.
Well said. Slapping performances together is not the actors actually working together, with the personal relationship and rhythm developed on the original series and off set. It would be some glued-up mess just to say "its Adam and Burt", but there would be nothing genuine about it, or desired by (I'm guessing) most of the 1966 Batman fanbase.

We already have a wealth of Adam/Burt performances together without trying to force what would be a wrongheaded "together again" attempt to resurrect the TV series.
I'm having a flashback... ;)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Not a fan of this type of thing. Now, if you want to pull the music out and clean it up for a soundtrack release......
Music. BAT! Music.