Best molls?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfan 66

Best molls?

Post by Batfan 66 »

Hey guys -

Need your opinion on something. :) I've been thinking over the molls, and was wondering which ones were the best - most useful, smart, evil, pretty - everything. Ones that didn't fall for batman, were smart, had a role in the crime, etc, but still nice to look at :)

I would have to say Chickadee in the Penguins Nest, the 3 hench women in the Chandel episodes, Anna Gram in Batman's Anniversary, Mousey in A Riddle a Day keeps the Riddler Away, and Lisa in The Thirteenth Hat. What do you think?

I'd also like to hear who you think was the prettiest moll. The smartest one too.
The dumbest moll was the Clock King's, don't you think?
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
dell

Re: Best molls?

Post by dell »

I thought Pussycat was useful when she was Catwoman's assitant. She may not qualify as a moll since she worked for a woman.

I also thought Lydia Limpet was very good as Bookworm's moll.
dell
mattman

Post by mattman »

I liked the Joker's 2 from the Impractical Joker (Mrs Burt Ward), and Susie from the Joker Goes to School ( "Oh what a ball!")
They were not the brightest (going as do far that Susie may be a little too young for Jack), so I guess the one who had everything in my eyes would be either crafty Octavia from the Minstrel story or Cleo Patrick from the King Tut story, she did worm her way in with the police dept and drug both the Commissioner and be Chief.
Notable like- The chop/change mind of Venus from the Zodiac trilogy.
There, was there a moll I DIDN'T name? , lol
Bob

Post by Bob »

They all had something to add to the show. How can anybody be the best ?
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batfan 66 wrote:Hey guys -

Need your opinion on something. :) I've been thinking over the molls, and was wondering which ones were the best - most useful, smart, evil, pretty - everything.
I would have to say Chickadee in the Penguins Nest
Solid choice; she was absolutely loyal to Penguin and for this series--pretty violent, having no trouble threatening to kill O'Hara on two occasions. Personally, she was not my visual cup of tea, but a strong moll in any case.
and Lisa in The Thirteenth Hat. What do you think?
Lisa was the double threat: intelligent and very attractive. Certainly, she was a useful associate (or moll) to Mad Hatter, and did not fall over herself with misplaced love for Batman. In my book, she's one the top 3 molls in series history.
The dumbest moll was the Clock King's, don't you think?
She's up there...or down there when it comes to intellect, but she came off as more of a pure girlfriend, than being involved in the crimes.

Anna Gram is another in my top 3 molls--nasty, intelligent, and not having a schoolgirl crush on Batman.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Who can forget Lady Prudence and the Peasoup girls in the Londinium Larcenies?
They were almost the Boy Wonder's downfall!! ;)
Cheers,
Terry
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Molly was pretty good; she was loyal to Riddler, very intelligent, and more than willing to help him pull his crimes.

She wasn't infatuated with Batman either; she was just stringing him along to keep him distracted while her boss and his henchmen made off with Robin.

Mousey seemed to be more of a straightforward girlfriend than a moll. She had affection for the Riddler, went along with the crime, but wasn't really into it except for the kicks.

Anna, I think, was the most vicious of them. She was more than willing to get into a dustup with the police, and kicked Robin in the shin while being held by the two cops.

Pauline....hmmmm....I'd have to think about her. I can't really guess as to her motivation (it's been a while since I've seen the episode.) but she definitely was vicious.

Moth....seemed to have all the common sense of a flea.

Susie? Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but semi passable.

Lydia Limpet was pretty good; they definitely should have brought her and Bookworm back for another episode.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Riddlersgurl wrote: Pauline....hmmmm....I'd have to think about her. I can't really guess as to her motivation (it's been a while since I've seen the episode.) but she definitely was vicious.
To quote Batman: "A frustrated, would-be actress. A star that was never born, venting her disappointment on society."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Aussie Batfan wrote:Who can forget Lady Prudence
Yes--she was a strong character who was intelligent enough to run her own gang, and her interest in Robin was not of the immature schoolgirl variety seen with various molls swooning over Batman.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

Of course, I am most partial toward Molly, since she made such an impression on me that night I first saw Batman in January 1966. That said, I also enjoy Susie, Pauline, Anna Gram and Eenie; all are FB friends! So many cool molls out there!!
High C

Post by High C »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
Aussie Batfan wrote:Who can forget Lady Prudence
Yes--she was a strong character who was intelligent enough to run her own gang, and her interest in Robin was not of the immature schoolgirl variety seen with various molls swooning over Batman.
Agreed. Of course, any exquisitely evil Englishwoman with an alluring accent is fine with High C! ;)

Honestly, I think Lyn Peters as Lady Prudence would've been a far more interesting antagonist than either Ffogg or Peasoup.

I also think Myrna Fahey as Blaze was a terrific moll. Strong enough to be a lead. I don't think she has been mentioned.

Worst moll is easy--Terry Moore as Venus. Shrill, annoying, over the top and not believable. Possibly the worst casting blunder of the entire series.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Have to agree with the comments about Lady Prudence - Lyn Peters' portrayal was probably the most formidable and threatening aspect of the whole Londinium three-parter. She certainly made a memorable characterisation in a farcical storyline. Even though Lady Prudence wasn't a lead character villain, she stood out as a moll not to be messed around with.
Terry
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Nancy Kovack's Queenie was IMO the one who deserved more screen time and attention than she got. Kovack also IMO had bona fide villainess potential but they wasted her in a total window dressing part.
gothos

Post by gothos »

Ditto the high regard for Blaze and for Lady Prudence, even though the latter's not a moll either.

I'll champion Joan Staley's Okie Annie, as I believe she does one thing no other moll ever does: knocks out the Dynamic Duo. A few others caught them in traps, but it seems like only Catwoman managed to send them into dreamland.

An odd touch in the Londinium episode: during his first visit to Ffogg Place Batman's told that the curriculum for the girls' school includes judo lessons. Apparently the line was just thrown in to raise Batman's suspicions, since the girls don't do any fighting, subduing Robin only by turning his own chivalry against him.
gothos

Post by gothos »

I should've said "into dreamland at the same time," since Robin alone gets gassed or drugged pretty often.