TO THE BATPOLES podcast #69: Remembering Adam West: Our Lives With Batman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #69: Remembering Adam West: Our Lives With Batman

Post by bat-rss »

In the wake of Adam West's not-so-recent passing, we felt compelled to do a "thanks for the memories, Adam" episode. But, well, every episode functions as that, so this time, we present the memories of many other bat-fans who grew up watching Adam & co. in syndication (and, in two cases, on Wednesday and Thursday nights in the '60s!). Not coincidentally, our guests are now working in comics themselves....

With one exception: our mom, Joann! Tim interviewed her while visiting home last month, to hear her memories of our Bat-fandom, and how her sewing skills helped to augment that fandom!

Check the show notes to see our list of guests -- and also a link to the next script we'll be discussing on the show, later this fall! Download the script now and send us your comments! (I'm going to set up a separate thread for that discussion!)

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/069-rem ... ith-batman
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #69: Remembering Adam West: Our Lives With Batman

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 am
In the wake of Adam West's not-so-recent passing, we felt compelled to do a "thanks for the memories, Adam" episode. But, well, every episode functions as that, so this time, we present the memories of many other bat-fans who grew up watching Adam & co. in syndication (and, in two cases, on Wednesday and Thursday nights in the '60s!). Not coincidentally, our guests are now working in comics themselves....

With one exception: our mom, Joann! Tim interviewed her while visiting home last month, to hear her memories of our Bat-fandom, and how her sewing skills helped to augment that fandom!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/069-rem ... ith-batman
Another really enjoyable episode and certainly a topic that deserved the deviation from your standard format. Kudos for doing (the literal) legwork required to pull off so many of those interviews in person. Also, way cool to hear your Mom's perspective!

It was interesting to listen to this a few months on from Adam's passing, I was intrigued as to how this would land on me given how emotionally tiring (in the nicest way possible) it was to read/listen/watch the various tributes that emerged in the immediate wake back in June. One thing is for certain, I will never tire of listening to people discuss the impact Adam and his work in the role of Batman has had on their lives. Legacy, in it's truest sense.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I really enjoyed the reminisces with your mother. I wish Mr. Paul would have been there to join in! My husband watched the show first run in the 60's and the stories he tells me sound a lot like the ones you and your mother talked about :)
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben, yes, exactly. Several months on from his death, and after the outpouring of emotion at the time, it seemed more appropriate now to have a discussion about legacy -- his affect on individual lives and on the culture overall.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"