TO THE BATPOLES: Read "Shoot a Crooked Arrow" draft!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES: Read "Shoot a Crooked Arrow" draft!

Post by bat-rss »

Just posted the latest BATPOLES episode, in which we announced that the next script we'll be discussing on the show (and the first from my Laramie scanning haul) will be the first draft of "Shoot a Crooked Arrow"! As always, we're making it available ahead of time so that listeners can get their comments in in time for us to include them in the episode where we discuss it. If you get your comments in by SEPT 18, it will safely be before we record the episode -- after that, not making any promises!

Here's the link:

http://deconstructingcomics.com/Batpole ... _draft.pdf
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Re: TO THE BATPOLES: Read "Shoot a Crooked Arrow" draft!

Post by robinboyblunderer »

First, thanks for posting this, unused scripts and first drafts are both interesting and in short supply online, you're both very generous for doing this and I'm excited to read the other scripts you've scanned.

I feel like I should post a spoiler warning, better to experience the script's surprises on your own than read about it like this.

So...I'll start with what I think is the quickest and yet most amazing find, which is the Superman cameo. It made me laugh and would've been a lot of fun to see. And I like how it's described in the script without actually saying his name, the way it's written is funny and clever.

I prefer reading the Archer's lines to Art Carney's take on the character. There was something flat about his delivery. I think if another actor had the role this villain would be fondly remembered, heck, maybe even had another episode. Stanley Ralph Ross (and does anyone ever refer him to as anything other than Stanley Ralph Ross, I never hear him mentioned as Stanley, or Ross or ever SRR, but anyway) came up with an interesting take on a villain; a pretentious character who's attempts at speaking in a rarified tongue are quite funny, as is his annoyance with his gang.

Maid Maryilyn is pretty good, too. Having never listened to Tom Jones, nor having a familiarity with his record covers I still somehow have an idea of what Ross, I mean Stanley Ralph Ross was going for. Speaking of, the dental creme description in the script was pretty good.

Holy Online Dictionary! I thought Glorioski had some strange connection to Broccoli. Once again Batman has expanded my vocabulary, I'm sure I'll be quite the hit with the ladies and molls this fall when I confidently use this new word. I like the callback to vegetables Gordon makes later on when he thinks Batman has a cold.

I've mixed feelings on the dunking scene. I like the term Batygen, but I'm glad they cut the scene; while not a fan of the fake guillotine, watching an older dignified man being held under water seems too disturbing, even in the campy Batman style. I usually enjoy when Alfred takes an active role, him being good at archery works, being tortured doesn't; it's just distasteful.

Speaking of which, I'm glad we were denied a scene of Tuck tickling the Dynamic Duo. Disturbing and too humiliating.

I guess that's how I see a lot of SRR', I mean Stanley Ralph Ross's scripts, clever and yet sometimes veering too far into the farcical or rendering Batman as weak, too corny and rigid while suffering much humiliation.

At the same time, his scripts are witty and clever and I guess I just realized he created two villains whose comedy comes from their character's verbal anachronisms. It's a really good idea, you can take practically any character with a gimmick from another time period and slide them into the show, Robin Hood, Evil Phaoroh, Crooked Cowboy. Sure he didn't come up with King Tut but you get the point.

ETCE! That should've been in the show if it wasn't, I don't recall.

One thing I didn't like about this episode was the Pirate fight. I think the ending should've stayed with the theme of Archery, Robin Hood, etce. It doesn't make sense for an archery based villain to suddenly adopt a pirate motif in the last scene, on top of that, while it's different to have them fight on a boat, it wasn't convincing even by the campy standard of the show.

Maid Marilyn's Rubin line is funny; again, I don't recall that being in the show, which is a shame. "Yeah, well, tanks a lot anyways." It cracks me up, most of her lines do. One of the most inventive takes on a moll.

Holy Avarice but I can't wait to read more though, Holy Tedium, I realize it must be tedious, scanning all of these pages.

Well, reading this script was more entertaining than watching the episodes so thanks again fellas! Your generosity in sharing this is much appreciated!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I'm pretty sure the Tom Jones SRR was referring to is the title character in the 18th-century novel by Henry Fielding—well-known to English majors but definitely more obscure than the playwright whose bust is in the Wayne study. I picked up a copy of the book at a library book sale but have never read it, so I don't get the implied joke.
robinboyblunderer

Jim Akin wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am I'm pretty sure the Tom Jones SRR was referring to is the title character in the 18th-century novel by Henry Fielding—well-known to English majors but definitely more obscure than the playwright whose bust is in the Wayne study. I picked up a copy of the book at a library book sale but have never read it, so I don't get the implied joke.
I didn't know about this, thanks for the explanation, it makes more sense with the Archer than Tom Jones the singer!

I'd have to go check the pdf again but I thought it was more a reference to her style of dress, which fit the book cover image I saw of Tom Jones when I looked it up.

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks -- keep 'em coming. I haven't read the script yet, so I'll read your comments after I've read it!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's a bad script made worse by the casting of Art Carney as The Archer.
While it's been sometime since I've subjected myself to the Archer episodes I'd always assumed this was written (for some reason) with Carney in mind and it's clear that it was not. Described as a tall handsome man in his first appearance The Archer could have been great, or at least great in the prism of second season episodes, if they'd gotten Roger Moore for the role. My first pick would be Timothy Dalton and even though he was active as an actor on British TV at the time he would have been only 20 making him a little too young for the role.

There's a lot of elements in here that just don't move the story forward, Alfred's scene with the guillotine for example-- what's the purpose of it? The dunk tank just seems an extension of that already bad idea. Batman comes across as being ineffectual in letting Alf "die" at the hands of this supposed arch villain.

Marilyn was annoying in the episodes and she's annoying here as well. The Newark accent was too broad comedy and it's in the script in spades. It would have been better if she had affected a proper dialogue and then the Newark-ness slipped out in parts.

In all, the script is better than what was presented but the ball is dropped the second Carney is cast for this one. Choosing a "name" actor and just making him fit doesn't work. Van Johnson could have pulled this one off if you couldn't get Moore and you could stick Carney as the Minstrel although I just think Carney's personal life was in such a dark place at this point in his career he should have just passed altogether.

Really glad you scanned and posted this though, fun to read what might've been.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

The Tom Jones visual references - especially the chicken-eating - probably refer to the 1963 film more than the book it was based on.

Andy, I agree they should've gotten a more dashing (preferably British) actor for the role - someone who could have been naturally in character right up until the end and then tossed off his final, frustrated line in a thick Noo Joisey accent. I would have liked Sean Flynn (son of Errol), or Noel Harrison (son of Rex) but how about Dirk Bogarde? He wasn't above a bit of slumming as a villain - if you saw him in Modesty Blaise you'd know what I mean. The description of Crier Tuck was tailor-made for Doodles Weaver, though.

One more odd character name - Roland Marshall; named after two different makes of amplifiers? I suppose because he was a big speechmaker.

Thanks for posting this draft! Hope you had a chance to scan the ones for the episodes featuring... you-know-who. ;)
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

chrisbcritter wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm The Tom Jones visual references - especially the chicken-eating - probably refer to the 1963 film more than the book it was based on.
Great point. I wasn't aware of the then-recent film.
robinboyblunderer

I really enjoy reading early treatments, unused scripts and so on, so thanks again for sharing these!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am If you get your comments in by SEPT 18, it will safely be before we record the episode -- after that, not making any promises!
Dang it, i've only just spotted that the deadline for contributions was yesterday rather than 28th as it appears I had convinced myself it was.

Anyway, looking forward to the episode! Perhaps i'll share some thoughts retrospectively after i've listened to your discussion of the draft.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Well, we haven't recorded the episode yet. It hadn't been scheduled when I gave that deadline, but now we're planning to record on the 25th. So feel free to drop us comments!
High C

Post by High C »

From the paperwork I've seen, Dozier originally had this actor in mind for the Archer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Greene

He was an English actor who had starred in a Robin Hood series on British TV.

On that site that no longer is working, there was a letter from Dozier to Greene asking him to do this kind of a character.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am
One thing I didn't like about this episode was the Pirate fight. I think the ending should've stayed with the theme of Archery, Robin Hood, etce. It doesn't make sense for an archery based villain to suddenly adopt a pirate motif in the last scene, on top of that, while it's different to have them fight on a boat, it wasn't convincing even by the campy standard of the show.
Good point. I wonder Dozier or Horwitz asked SRR to put that in so they could use the stock footage of the Bat-Boat from the movie.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

High C wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm From the paperwork I've seen, Dozier originally had this actor in mind for the Archer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Greene

He was an English actor who had starred in a Robin Hood series on British TV.

On that site that no longer is working, there was a letter from Dozier to Greene asking him to do this kind of a character.
Interestingly, Richard Greene performed alongside Alan Napier in "Dial M for Murder" at the Harris Theatre in Chicago some thirteen years before Napier would take up his Bat-Duties.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am So...I'll start with what I think is the quickest and yet most amazing find, which is the Superman cameo. It made me laugh and would've been a lot of fun to see. And I like how it's described in the script without actually saying his name, the way it's written is funny and clever.
Ross was able to eventually work in a Superman reference in the Shame S3 episode that he wrote, "The Great Train Robbery":

Chief Standing Pat: Look! Up in sky!
Fred: It's a bird!
Calamity Jan: It's a plane!
Shame: No, it's a message for me.

The Archer scene where the homeless guy gripes about receiving counterfeit money originally had that character's name as Albert A. Aardvark. No doubt after casting was completed, that name was changed to Zoltan Zorba. Why? Because the character was played by Sam Jaffe, who had played Dr. Zorba on Ben Casey.

Tying into that, in the George Sanders Mr. Freeze episode during S1, the hyper-intense Dr. Vince is a parody of Vince Edwards, who played Ben Casey himself.