Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

elmrgraham

Re: BATMAN SINISTER SIDESHOW of DR SCORPiO

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I just stumbled onto this old comic book cover and had to share! A little Googling shows me it comes from "Strange Adventures" Comic Books, issue #32 from 1950. On the full cover, Captain Comet proclaims (from the gorilla body) that Dr Sarcon's Brain Exchange Experiment has swapped his own mind with that of the great ape. Reminds me of Commissioner Gordon's perilous predicament! :D If only Captain Comet were here now, perhaps he could help Captain Marvel track down Gordon's body?

Andy, I've been meaning to ask you how you go about drawing these great illustrations. Do you draw them by hand first and then color them with a computer? Or is it done digitally from the start?
- Boy Genius
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Lovin it, Andy. That background in episode 15 is really something. What's the deal with Captain Marvel's name. They call him Shazam! now. I suppose due to rights issues? Always be CM to me.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

They can call him Captain Marvel in the comics but not on the title. Captain Marvel is trademarked by Marvel Comics.
The strips are either sketched out in pencil by hand and then scanned and finished in Photoshop or done completely in Photoshop depending on the time constraints.
Thanks for reading everybody-- hang on, there should be some twists and turns for you.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I like your art quite a bit, particularly how you go from something more cartoony in Episode 11 (reminds me of Little Orphan Annie strips) to something that seems more realistic (Episode 13) to a combo in Episode 14.

Do you have published comic work out there? Have you ever considered doing your own creations?

cheers
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for the comments-- I am published-- I've got several graphic novels in print from various publishers including DRACULA from McFarland Press-- I have a series of how to books that are all available through Amazon (I don't get royalties on them so I'm not pushing for my own gain).

I've also worked for many of the major comic companies and have a new series soon to be announced with Dark Horse Comics.
robinboyblunderer

AndyFish wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am Thanks for the comments-- I am published-- I've got several graphic novels in print from various publishers including DRACULA from McFarland Press-- I have a series of how to books that are all available through Amazon (I don't get royalties on them so I'm not pushing for my own gain).

I've also worked for many of the major comic companies and have a new series soon to be announced with Dark Horse Comics.
Nice! Good luck with the Dark Horse series.

cheers
robinboyblunderer

AndyFish wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 pm They can call him Captain Marvel in the comics but not on the title. Captain Marvel is trademarked by Marvel Comics.
I understand it's legalese but who could confuse Captain Marvel (Billy Batson) with Captain Marvell (Mar-vell) or Monica Rambeau or the newer version, blonde woman. It's like the Marvelman/Miracleman thing. It's sad and annoying.

On a more positive note, while your art isn't like CC Beck's,(which I really like) it feels like it's distantly related with the cartoony look.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

(Said in my best Desmond Doomsday voice)
Oh no! It's Grodd! Uh oh! Here we go Batfans! Things are heating up in Gotham. Captain Marvel, don't leave! Please don't leave!
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
robinboyblunderer

The sheet and badge are hilarious!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Not to mention the look he's giving Chief O'Hara! :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »