Script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN, featuring Poison Ivy

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: Script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN, featuring Poison Ivy

Post by High C »

Jthree wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm
THIS WAY IN!! CATWOMAN'S IN HERE! THIS MUST BE THE PLACE! SECRET ENTRANCE TO CATLAIR WEST.
O.K That was a bit too cartoony for even the 66 Batman.
But it made the finished product. Ugh.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Jthree wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm "Robin and Poison Ivy next to each other and hold hands like Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald." That's a good precise reference but for ignoramuses such as myself how did Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald hold hands?
I've never seen anything close to a complete Nelson Eddy-Jeanette McDonald picture, but they're best remembered today for their call-and-response duet of the song Indian Love Call ("When I'm calling you--oo-oo-oo--oo-oo-oo..."). In the movie it's taken from, Eddy plays a Canadian mountie; he sings to MacDonald to teach her the song (which derives from an Indian legend), and then she then sings it back to him. Eddy and MacDonald, in those specific roles, inspired the Dudley Do-Right and Nell Fenwick characters in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.

Romance in the Eddy-MacDonald pictures was decidedly chaste and pure, so I think Ross's point was that even a bad-boy Boy Wonder would be innocent and naive.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

In case you've been thinking of commenting and contributing to our podcast discussion, we're planning to record Nov 3 morning (US time), so if you submit by Nov 2 evening we'll see it in time!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

To Bat-Rss:

Can you include comments that we've already mentioned above?
--jthree
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Of course -- just wanted any latecomers to know there's still time!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

On the subject of scripts, I'm not sure if you obtained the script for "A Piece of the Action"/"Batman's Satisfaction" but I would love to hear you guys discuss the differences between written and produced versions, particularly since Bruce Lee--according to his friend M. Uyehara--said:
...but after reading the script, his face lit up. He grinned and whispered to himself, "This is great, Kato finally gets to fight Robin!"
...which sort of contradicts other accounts of Lee (and Van Williams) being unhappy when the script allegedly had the Green Hornet & Kato losing to Batman & Robin. That does not sound like something that would make Lee grin.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Jthree wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 pm Also loved the line,

Poison Ivy "undulates" her way off screen,

===jthree
For those of you who remember the episode better than I do, did Pussycat "undulate" her way off screen to Robin in the beginning?

---jthree
High C

Post by High C »

Jthree wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:09 am
Jthree wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 pm Also loved the line,

Poison Ivy "undulates" her way off screen,

===jthree
For those of you who remember the episode better than I do, did Pussycat "undulate" her way off screen to Robin in the beginning?

---jthree
No. There's a two-shot of her and Catwoman and CW gently nudges her in Robin's direction and you mostly see Lesley Gore's head as she walks off. It's not a longer shot where you would see her entire body, but she doesn't undulate, no.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm On the subject of scripts, I'm not sure if you obtained the script for "A Piece of the Action"/"Batman's Satisfaction" but I would love to hear you guys discuss the differences between written and produced versions, particularly since Bruce Lee--according to his friend M. Uyehara--said:
...but after reading the script, his face lit up. He grinned and whispered to himself, "This is great, Kato finally gets to fight Robin!"
...which sort of contradicts other accounts of Lee (and Van Williams) being unhappy when the script allegedly had the Green Hornet & Kato losing to Batman & Robin. That does not sound like something that would make Lee grin.
I didn't get A PIECE OF THE ACTION in Laramie, but since that trip, a listener sent us the first draft of it! So it is on the pile of scripts to be gotten to!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:12 am I didn't get A PIECE OF THE ACTION in Laramie, but since that trip, a listener sent us the first draft of it! So it is on the pile of scripts to be gotten to!
That's great news!
Beneath Wayne Manor