Script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN, featuring Poison Ivy

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN, featuring Poison Ivy

Post by bat-rss »

OK, here it is -- possibly the most requested draft script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN!

http://deconstructingcomics.com/Batpole ... tdraft.pdf

We're probably going to be recording our episode on this around Halloween, and we'll try to incorporate some comments from this thread in that episode. Will give you a firmer deadline when we have it figured out!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
elmrgraham

Re: Script: THAT DARNED CATWOMAN, featuring Poison Ivy

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

It's a great script (in a way), and everyone should read it to see the differences between the original script and the filmed version.

But I'm still anxious to read the other scripts you picked up at the University of Wyoming.

--jthree
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

So am I!

I'm respecting the American Heritage Center's wishes and not putting up a big archive of all the scripts. They were concerned about copyright issues. But they're fine with me putting up a script at a time in connection with specific podcast episodes. So we'll be dribbling these out over time. Hey, gives us all more to look forward to! :)
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Thank you for your efforts.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Hmm. From Poison Ivy to Pussycat... why? I'm sure some folks here consider this a lost opportunity. Lesley Gore being cast shouldn't have affected the dress of the character - maybe it was felt that the Ivy bit clashed with the look of the episode or made her too distinct compared to Catwoman?

On that cast page: Miffentiff of Ferderber! :lol: (I always thought it was Missentiff.)

I'm going to have to watch the episode while reading the script again, but it seems like some funny bits were thrown out before the cameras rolled. I also notice that Robin originally had Pussycat's lines from the interrogation pretty much verbatim; that the narcotic side-effect of Catwoman's drug was a later addition (which took Robin off screen a while, making room for Lesley's number), and that mention of the amnesiac effect - which would have covered a plot hole - was dropped (IIRC).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

chrisbcritter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:25 am On that cast page: Miffentiff of Ferderber! :lol: (I always thought it was Missentiff.)
Then again, SRR's naughty substitute got past the censors. :lol:
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens and podcasters,

I enjoyed reading the script with Poison Ivy before Pussycat replaced her. The main difference between the characters is Ivy using a thorn from her outfit instead of a claw to infect Robin, oddly in the circumstance, with Catwoman's drug. I like the idea of Catwoman having a criminal protege, which was not abandoned, of course, but with Poison Ivy she was a character from the comics who might have been more likely to return instead of Louie the Lilac maybe.

Another note about Catwoman's gang. Her first non speaking henchman in the script is Archer, which is the name of Spade's partner in "The Maltese Falcon". As broadcast, he was renamed Marlowe, a more famous fictional detective. In both, the third henchman is incongruously named Templar, after Simon Templar--the Saint.

I was think this may be the story where Stanley Ralph Ross removed Robin because he was complaining about to many or too few lines, don't recall which. The bank scene was cut either because Robin had the line ordering the clerk to place her hands on her head, ruining a new hairdo, or to include Lesley Gore's song. Regardless, Catwoman is using young Ivy to engage Robin's interest throughout the script with Catwoman keeping them focused on her plans, at least in the first ep. Catwoman isn't in their scene at the lair when they are interrupted and caught by the police. The script has Ivy marched off to prison with Catwoman's followers at the end, suggesting she could return.

I'm enjoying reading the scripts as they are made available. Thank you.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent Original Script.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens and podcasters,

Upon tearing my attention away from Poison Ivy's presence in the script, I happily focus on Catwoman. She didn't originally enjoy a saucer of milk while her gang looted Wayne Manor, which Robin didn't recall because of the drug's amnesia effect.

Earlier, Batman was worried because Robin was late getting back from his appearance, which was not explained as broadcast, and Batman took the Batcycle to the Commissioner's office. As broadcast, he used the Batmobile to avoid filming riding the Batcycle without Robin.

Speaking of the Boy Wonder, he signed autographs with his left had to avoid compromising Dick Grayson's signature and Poison Ivy shoved his admirers away to "be alone with" him.

More later maybe.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I think Archer was more likely named after Lew Archer, the detective character created by Ross Macdonald for a long series of novels (and played by Paul Newman on screen, renamed "Harper").
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks for sharing this.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This was great. Thanks for unearthing and sharing it.

The substitution of Pussycat for Ivy seems pretty much cosmetic. The character's dialog and Robin's banter with her are barely changed, and I think that's for the better. Making Ivy a second banana, largely stripped of her of her plant-powered prowess, would have been a disservice to the character. (And, I'd argue, making Ivy a starring villainess would have felt an awful lot like Marsha did in Season 1 -- and like Siren would in Season 3). It makes sense for Catwoman to have a kitten protegée, and a pop star wannabe named Pussycat would have a lot more potential than one with Poison in her name -- at least until the hair-metal era.

Other highlights seen in the script but not on screen:

There's finally an explanation of the henchman names, in the Act 2 stage direction about holing up in the offices of Private Investigators Spade, Archer & Templar. Their office door would definitely have evoked the glass pane of "Spade & Archer" (famously repainted to remove Archer) in the Maltese Falcon; Templar (The Saint) IS an odd addition to the partnership, but three goons per episode seemed to be the norm in Season 2.

"Would you like to see my stamp collection?" "Philately will get you nowhere." That has the ring of an old vaudeville gag; very SRR.

The presence of the Batcopter (and a bridge tower) in Catwoman's final plunge scene, and the end-tag reveal of her survival both would have been interesting. Neither element is essential, but they'd have been fun.

The Alfred reveal and remedy during Catwoman's Batcave visit would've been a good addition, as well -- showing that Catwoman was on her toes, and that Batman was still one step ahead of her. I guess we got "California Nights" instead. :)

I look forward to the podcast discussion.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Standouts from the script IMHO

"Robin and Poison Ivy next to each other and hold hands like Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald." That's a good precise reference but for ignoramuses such as myself how did Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald hold hands?

"I get the same prison term for knocking over a gas station when you're a twelve time loser, it doesn't make much difference what you steal."

"Robin and Ivy stare at each other and whisper sweet nothings."

"I'll bet you tell that to all the girl criminals."

"Do you mind if I just hold my hands up? I had my hair done this morning."
Robin: "Grrr."
Girl: "I'm going to tell Batman on you, Robin."

THIS WAY IN!! CATWOMAN'S IN HERE! THIS MUST BE THE PLACE! SECRET ENTRANCE TO CATLAIR WEST.
O.K That was a bit too cartoony for even the 66 Batman.

It kind of seems bittersweet that Robin had lost all memory of Poison Ivy (or Pussycat) as she and the other sidekicks are marched away to jail, especially with all the hand holding they did in these episodes.

Well. the dialogue in the original script is a bit more over the top than I had remembered. But it's interesting.

--jthree
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Also loved the line,

Poison Ivy "undulates" her way off screen,

===jthree