The pink cowl lives!!!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Chuck Williams

The pink cowl lives!!!

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,
So my friend and Bat photo archivist John Brown sent a picture like the one below showing a spot of pink and said, "Call me".

He met a collector with tons of original pieces and this one of course REALLY caught my attention.I wasted little time getting out there with Lynne.

So the original pink cowl from the TV show is alive and well and was hiding in plain sight beneath the paint job we saw in the Batgirl PSA and the Saturday Morning cartoon preview show!!! The interior is first season and does NOT have the hard hat rig!
It is similar to one of mine with the foam but the entire inside of the shell is lined in chamois leather.
Must have been amazingly hot!!

The BEST part about the painting is that it kept the fabric from stretching out and coming off the shell. It's like in a time warp and just the way it was when painted.

This is only the first of many amazing piece this collector has shared with me and in turn the community. As I get the okay, I'll post more... :)
Attachments
DSC_0271 (2).JPG
DSC_0267 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG
pink.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
chrisbcritter

Re: The pink cowl lives!!!

Post by chrisbcritter »

That's amazing! So is this cowl blue/black underneath the pink, or did it start out that way? Looking forward to seeing what else the owner has.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

It was a standard first season cowl from the show that was painted pink for that one episode and then made it's way to Western Costume where it was repainted blue and black and rented to various productions like the PSA and the Saturday Preview....

Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

OH WOW! Now that is stunning. What an amazing discovery!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Such an exciting discovery! You and Lynne continue to fight the Bat-Fight! Beyond pleased that the collector has granted you guys access, it's not a given as we all know, so kudos to them too.

Holy PSA!
PSA-Pink_Cowl.jpeg
svl

Post by svl »

Incredible. Looking forward to seeing what else this collector has to unveil. Thanks, Chuck!
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I can only imagine what else still exists out there, hidden in a private collection. Cool to know that these things have been looked after.
- Boy Genius
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Great stuff Chuck! Thanks for sharing!
Meule

Post by Meule »

I am amazed this cowl has survived for so long, cool to see it...
And I am eager to see what else has survived from the show... there were so many props, it pains me to think how many were destroyed...
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the collection. It’s sad sometimes, what may have been lost, but nice that there are still some things we still get to discover. I sometimes have to remind myself that this was a TV show from fifty years ago that, at the time, was being cancelled.

Television was a business with a ton of moving parts. We see the Batman TV show through a hyper-focused lens. At the time of its cancelation, the industry had to go back to work the next day. We’re lucky a great deal of the props and costumes survived without being repurposed. Fantastic that there are a few collectors out there with pieces like this one. I like to think of the bits of pink showing through are just reminders of the journey.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Comparing the two wrinkles on this side.
Still there after all these years!
Attachments
Untitled-1 - Copy.jpg

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Chuck Williams wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 am Comparing the two wrinkles on this side.
Still there after all these years!
Even a few days later, each time I see your images of this cowl I can't help but dwell on how squarely you hit the nail on the head when you remarked that the paint has "frozen" this cowl in time. The mind boggles as to how fortuitous is that A) This cowl was painted in the first place and B) Given the very private nature of a lot of collectors that you found your way to it.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

But wait, there's more?
88customs

Post by 88customs »

Tons
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

It occurs to me...
Maybe there used to be a " hardhat" right, and it was removed and replaced with foam and leather. Easier to rent?
Any chance you looked order the padding?